DaVinci Code

chcr

Too cute for words
Luis G said:
*turns on the engine....

But, but....isn't the bible fiction anyway??
:D Well, I wasn't going to come right out and say it like that, but now that you mention it...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Yeah, is like saying to star trek fans that they should not believe the BS said in star wars.

2minkey

bootlicker
i can understand why some people might get upset about it regardless of its fictional nature.

i mean, gee, if there was a jesus in prison movie where he got buggered furiously by all the inmates ("yeah, now turn the other cheek there sissy boy!")... obviously made-up stuff but still symbolically offensive, as this whole mary magdalene thing seems to be.

though at the same time i think offending naive literalists should be encouraged. maybe with cash and prizes.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
There is an argument for the Christians...all the negative stories, presented as fiction or what-ifs, will, given time, take a firm foothold & begin twisting & turning the original intent.

It's called P.R.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I liked his other books better anyway.

I just started Angels and Demons again in honour of the DaVinci movie coming out.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Gonz said:
There is an argument for the Christians...all the negative stories, presented as fiction or what-ifs, will, given time, take a firm foothold & begin twisting & turning the original intent.

It's called P.R.

yeah, and after many years you end with something like the roman catholic church, the evils of PR are astounding

Mare

Madonna Imitates Christ At Concert

Has Madonna gone too in attention-getting stunt on her concert tour?

While the church was concentrating on urging people not to see "The Da Vinci Code," Madonna was "crucifying" herself on a mirrored cross in the opening night of her tour in Los Angeles.

Madonna opened the first show of her "Confessions on a Dance Floor" tour Sunday night by emerging on a giant disco ball covered with $2 million worth of crystals.

She was wearing a riding outfit, with top hat and a jeweled crop, and mounted one of her male dancers who had a bit in his mouth and rode him.

Madonna's show also included five video screens, a Bedouin blowing a ram's horn, gymnastics, rollerblading and a disco inferno section.

There were verbal and visual digs at President George W. Bush, pleas for help for African children orphaned by AIDS, and lots of her hits.

Madonna made half-dozen costume changes throughout the show and and also sang most of her songs from her "Confessions" album.

The singer's "Confessions" tour will visit North American cities until late July. In August, she'll play concerts in London and Paris.

MrBishop

Read the book before the bandwagon started rolling... it's a murder mystery folx with come conspiracy theory thrown in for good measure. Ditto for Angels and Demons. :shrug:

Dan Brown's short of exact when it comes to detail...especially when it comes to city layouts for Paris and le Louvre. Hell, in one scene in the book, there was the female lead holding up a painting in front of her as a shield, with one knee pressed against its spine as if to break it, and peering over it to the cops 'knowing they would never shoot through the painting to hit her' and risk damaging it.

:rofl:

I've seen the painting mentioned in the book. It's about 15'X40' and covers a wall...if he got the name wrong (easily done), there's another painting in the Mona Lisa room that's small enough to hold and peer over. It only weighs about 300lbs with the frame. :rofl2:

If I want well-written conspiracy theory stuff related to the church...I'll read Umberto Eco, thanks.

unclehobart

Discounting the silly little continuity errors like props moving around from scene to scene and skycover clouds flipping about...

People who've actually been to Rosslyn (the correct spelling, though it is in the village of Roslin) Chapel will be amused to see in the movie that Tom Hanks and Audrey Tautou were somehow able to bypass the many security guards, the gift shop, tea room, museum and admissions desk to get into Rosslyn, and also that they did so via a door that is always locked beyond two stout gates. No one ever enters Rosslyn the way they did.

In the Louvre, Sophie puts the GPS receiver in a bar of soap and tosses it out the window onto a passing truck. Problem is, the bathrooms in that part of the Louvre don't have windows... nor do they have bar soap. Its all liquid.

When they are arresting Teabing the policeman says the Miranda warning, which is used in the USA, not England.

Sophie flips in and out of English notational a few times. She speaks of 'x' many miles to the gallon... and '2 miles to the embassy'. The French have been under the metric system for 200 years. Why would a French national even have the inkling to use such terms?

One of the main features of the Chapter room in Westminster Abbey is the tiled floor - the tiles are red, small and octagonal, and hand painted. In the movie, they're big, plain bricks.

Teabing at one point makes the comment that the Bible refers to the cup used at the last supper as the Grail. The Bible does not do this. It gets no mention at all, actually. It was not for several centuries, until the romance of the Grail was written that the cup is given 'magical' powers.

When Teabing is almost arrested by British police at Biggin Hill, all the police are armed. Throughout all the shots, however, the windshields of the police cars are blank. All cars that carry armed police have three yellow dots on the windshield.

Captain Bezu Fache of the Direction Centrale Police Judiciaire (DCPJ) is sure that Langdon is the murderer. Fache has one of his lieutenants plant a GPS dot in Landon's pocket. It's a "metallic, button-shaped disk, about the size of a watch battery." This dot, according to cryptographer Sophie Neveu, is accurate to two feet and lets the DCPJ track Langdon's location, no matter where he is. In other words:

It's tiny.
It's amazingly accurate.
It works indoors.

Can be small, but they're usually bigger than a watch battery. The unit described in the book would also have to fit a power source and a second radio transmitter into its tiny shell in order to communicate with police computers.
Are accurate to somewhere between 13 and 328 feet (4 and 100 meters).
Don't work well indoors, under dense tree cover or in urban areas with tall buildings.

"Virgin of the Rocks" hangs in the Grand Gallery, not the Salle des Etats. The painting directly across from the "Mona Lisa" is Caliari's "The Wedding Feast at Cana." This painting is an enormous 32 feet (9.9 meters) wide. To be fair, we have not found a source detailing which painting faced the "Mona Lisa" before the 2001 closure of the Salle des Etats. However, in several older photographs, reflections in the "Mona Lisa"'s protective glass indicate that it wasn't "Virgin of the Rocks."

Even if "Virgin of the Rocks" did hang opposite the "Mona Lisa," it's 6.5 feet (1.99 meters) tall, too tall for Sophie to see over as described. The painting's ornate wooden frame is also too heavy for an average person to lift unassisted.

Sophie's removal of the painting from the wall does not activate any sort of security system. This contradicts the beginning of the book, in which Saunière removes a painting from the wall to activate a security system that seals off an entire corridor. It also contradicts the Louvre's real security system, which includes proximity and movement detection. For the record, this security system also uses real security cameras, which staff monitor 24 hours a day.

When traveling from the Paris Ritz to the Louvre, Langdon and a DCPJ agent pass the Opera House and cross Place Vendôme. However, the Paris Ritz is on Place Vendôme. In order to pass the Opera House, the officer would have to head in nearly the opposite direction of the Louvre.
Langdon says that Saunière, a devotee of the ancient "sacred feminine," was interested in Wiccan relics. However, Wicca is a modern religion, not an ancient one.
The pyramid entrance to the Louvre contains 793 panes of glass, not 666.
Tarot decks contain 77 cards, not 22, although a deck does have 22 major arcana cards. Check out How Tarot Cards Work to learn more.
Phi is an irrational number. It's more accurately expressed as (1+√5)/2 than as the number 1.618.
The first of the Dead Sea Scrolls was discovered in 1947, not the 1950s.
The novel implies that the Louvre has one curator. It really has a staff of 60 curators in eight departments. The "Mona Lisa" has its own curator.
Harvard does not have a professor of "symbology," and symbology is not a real academic discipline.
There are no metal detectors at Westminster Abbey, and people cannot make charcoal rubbings of the plaques there.

(some of it is my words and stuff lifted from at least 3 other sources melded together)

Gotholic

Dan Brown talks about the controversy surrounding the book...

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?
If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

IS THIS BOOK ANTI-CHRISTIAN?
No. This book is not anti-anything. It's a novel. I wrote this story in an effort to explore certain aspects of Christian history that interest me. The vast majority of devout Christians understand this fact and consider The Da Vinci Code an entertaining story that promotes spiritual discussion and debate. Even so, a small but vocal group of individuals has proclaimed the story dangerous, heretical, and anti-Christian. While I regret having offended those individuals, I should mention that priests, nuns, and clergy contact me all the time to thank me for writing the novel. Many church officials are celebrating The Da Vinci Code because it has sparked renewed interest in important topics of faith and Christian history. It is important to remember that a reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel to use the book as a positive catalyst for introspection and exploration of our faith.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF CLERICAL SCHOLARS ATTEMPTING TO "DISPROVE" THE DA VINCI CODE?
The dialogue is wonderful. These authors and I obviously disagree, (emphasis added) but the debate that is being generated is a positive powerful force. The more vigorously we debate these topics, the better our understanding of our own spirituality. Controversy and dialogue are healthy for religion as a whole. Religion has only one true enemy--apathy--and passionate debate is a superb antidote.

SOME OF THE HISTORY IN THIS NOVEL CONTRADICTS WHAT I LEARNED IN SCHOOL. WHAT SHOULD I BELIEVE?
Since the beginning of recorded time, history has been written by the "winners" (those societies and belief systems that conquered and survived). Despite an obvious bias in this accounting method, we still measure the "historical accuracy" of a given concept by examining how well it concurs with our existing historical record. Many historians now believe (as do I) that in gauging the historical accuracy of a given concept, we should first ask ourselves a far deeper question: How historically accurate is history itself?

THE TOPIC OF THIS NOVEL MIGHT BE CONSIDERED CONTROVERSIAL. DO YOU FEAR REPERCUSSIONS?
I can't imagine why. The ideas in this novel have been around for centuries; they are not my own. Admittedly, this may be the first time these ideas have been written about within the context of a popular thriller, but the information is anything but new. My hope for The Da Vinci Code was, in addition to entertaining people, that it might serve as an open door for readers to begin their own explorations and rekindle their interest in topics of faith.

THIS NOVEL IS VERY EMPOWERING TO WOMEN. CAN YOU COMMENT?
Two thousand years ago, we lived in a world of Gods and Goddesses. Today, we live in a world solely of Gods. Women in most cultures have been stripped of their spiritual power. The novel touches on questions of how and why this shift occurred…and on what lessons we might learn from it regarding our future.

THE COVER OF YOUR BOOK MENTIONS "THE GREATEST CONSPIRACY OF THE PAST 2000 YEARS." WHAT IS THIS CONSPIRACY?
Revealing that secret would rob readers of all the fun, but I will say that it relates to one of the most famous histories of all time…a legend familiar to all of us. Rumors of this conspiracy have been whispered for centuries in countless languages, including the languages of art, music, and literature. Some of the most dramatic evidence can be found in the paintings of Leonardo Da Vinci, which seem to overflow with mystifying symbolism, anomalies, and codes. Art historians agree that Da Vinci's paintings contain hidden levels of meaning that go well beneath the surface of the paint. Many scholars believe his work intentionally provides clues to a powerful secret…a secret that remains protected to this day by a clandestine brotherhood of which Da Vinci was a member.

Source

Obviously, Dan Brown believes in what he has written or at least it has some merit in his eyes.

Professur

Gotholic said:
Obviously, Dan Brown believes in what he has written or at least it has some merit in his eyes.

I've yet to meet a dog that didn't think it's own turds didn't warrant a second look either.

Gotholic

Professur said:
I've yet to meet a dog that didn't think it's own turds didn't warrant a second look either.

I'm just saying that he is not merely stating that the whole book is fiction. Hence, the outrage and protest about his book.

chcr

Too cute for words
Gotholic said:
I'm just saying that he is not merely stating that the whole book is fiction. Hence, the outrage and protest about his book.
Of course, his saying stuff like that doesn't do anything for the book sales or movie residuals.