Detainees legally held

Bungi

--Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Hemmingway​

That's very true, once you have war you have to fight it... but STARTING wars, that's an entirely different matter...

MrBishop

The Other One said:
MrBishop said:
If the Benjamin Franklin quotes don't work...toss out new ones.

:rolleyes:

Here's a few:

--We make war that we may live in peace.
Aristotle

--The purpose of all war is peace.
Saint Augustine

--There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.
G. Washington

--We win here or lose everywhere; if we win here, we improve the chances of winning everywhere.
Gen. MacArthur

--Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger.
Churchill

--Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
Hemmingway

--War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stewart Mill

--The second type you have at these protests seems to be the people who want to mislabel Hitler. Everybody in the world is Hitler. Bush is Hitler, Ashcroft is Hitler, Rumsfeld is Hitler. The only guy who isn't Hitler is the foreign guy with a mustache dropping people who disagree with him into the wood chipper. He's not Hitler.
Dennis Miller

"Going to war for peace" is like "fucking for virginity" or "Killing someone to save their life"... they're mutually exclusive.

If you wage war, it isn't to achieve peace.
Wage war for freedom, liberty, to protect innocents, to overthrow zealots, to defend your borders and defend your families.

The moment that you say that you're doing it for peace...you've lost all credibility.

Ask Ghandi - non-violent protest....for peace!

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
quotes I have quotes

"There are things on heaven and earth, Horatio, Man was not meant to know." - Hamlet

"Things are not always as they seem." - Mandrake

"The only thing more reliable than magik is one's friends!" - MacBeth

"Careful planning is the key to safe and swift travel." - Ulysses

"Only constant and conscientious practice in the Martial Arts will ensure a long and happy life." - B. Lee

"Attention to detail is the watchword for gleaning information from an unsuspecting witness." - Insp. Clouseau

"Is there anything in the universe more beautiful and protective than the simple complexity of a spider's web?" - Charlotte

"In times of crisis, it is of utmost importance not to lose one's head." - M. Antoinette

"To function efficiently, any group of people or employees must have faith in their leader." - Capt Bligh (ret.)

"Man shall never reach his full capacity while chained to the earth. We must take wing and conquer the heavens." - Icarus

"One of the joys of travel is visiting new towns and meeting new people." - G. Khan

"First impressions are of major importance in business matters." - J. Pierpont Finch

"The secret of winning the support of large groups of people is positive thinking." - N. Bonaparte

"A little help at the right time is better than a lot of help at the wrong time." - Tevye

"Anyone who uses the phrase 'easy as taking candy from a baby' has never tried taking candy from a baby." - R. Hood

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless." - T. Edison

"The wonders of the ages assembled for your edification, education and enjoyment - for a price." - P. T. Barnum

"No matter what the product or service might be, you can find it somewhere else cheaper!" - E. Scrooge

"By perserving over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination." - C. Columbus

"With the proper consideration in choice of allies, victory may be guaranteed in any conflict." - B. Arnold

"One must deal openly and fairly with one's forces if maximum effectiveness is to be acheived." - D. Vader

"This is another fine myth you've gotten me into!" - Lor L. and Har D.

"Since prehistoric man, no battle has ever gone as planned." - D. Graeme

"Ya gotta be subtle!" - M. Hammer

"Just because you've beaten a sorcerer, doesn't mean you've beaten a sorcerer." - Toth-Aamon

"A woman, like a good piece of music, should have a solid end." - F. Schubert

all shamelessly stolen from robert asprin

MrBishop

freako104 said:
yea and it worked too.

I like the fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity

Thanks...but I borrowed it from someone else...maybe even Prof :)

This thread is starting to look like a "Find a quote and post it" thread. :)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
That phrase goes at least back to the 60s, Bish...it was a popular one with the Viet Nam protests....:D
Funny thing about those protesters...most of them would never go anyway. The folks getting drafted at the time were the poor. Most of the protesters were from upper-middle class to upper-class children whose mommies and daddies had seen to it that they wouldn't go by bribes, lies, or moving their prescious children out of the states until the whole thing blew over. :mad:

freako104

Squiggy said:
That phrase goes at least back to the 60s, Bish...it was a popular one with the Viet Nam protests....:D

I didnt know it went that far back but it is a popular anti war statement

freako104

chcr said:
We still are.

Who have we put in power? I thought the last one we put was sometime in the 60s or 70s? I wasnt sure that we still are until you said that. but maybe I was just too hopeful our govt has cared more about doing the right thing

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Who are the current dictators in which the United States has allied itself?

chcr

Too cute for words
Gonz said:
Who are the current dictators in which the United States has allied itself?

One entry found for dictator.
1 a : a person granted absolute emergency power; especially : one appointed by the senate of ancient Rome b : one holding complete autocratic control c : one ruling absolutely and often oppressively
2 : one that dictates

Halk Watan Turkmenbashi
Crown Prince Abdullah
Gen Pervez Musharraf
Hu Jintao

Those are just the first four that pop into mind. Not allied with but sponsored by, including weapons sales, economic support, etc.

MrBishop

Top Dictators of the world right now
1. Kim Jong-il (North Korea)
2. King Fahd and Prince Abdullah (Saudi Arabia)
3. Saddam Hussein (thanks to Bush, we shouldn-t mention of what country he is the leader)
4. Charles Taylor (Liberia)
5. Than Shwe (former Burma, now Myanmar)
6. Teodoro Obiang Nguema (Equatorial Guinea)
7. Saparmurat Niyazov (Turkmenistan)
8. Muammar Gaddafi (Libya)
9. Fidel Castro (Cuba)
10. Alexander Lukashenko (Belarus)

Not sure which ones that we put there though. :/

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Wow Bish, nice post. Let's see,
1 is being laughed at
2 should be bombed
3 :lol:
4:lol:
5/6/7/10 :shrug:
8 :lol:
9 is he still alive

5/6/7/10-I should take the time to look into these countries but who are they & what do they want? (a bad joke, I'm aware of all 4)

chcr-I disagree abou Musharraf-the potential is most definately there but the actions have yet to occur (to my knowledge)

Hu Jintao-either we war with China or we assist capitalism to overthrow the oppression. With over a billion, I prefer capitalism.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Like the way our capitalism was overthrowing the oppression of the shah? :eek6:

capitalism exploits those situations. It doesn't overthrow them. :disgust2:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Look at the massive changes in China Squiggy. It's working.

:eek: a new subject to argue about? :dance: