Disappointed in some of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardsgaine

Those are an important five years. Do you really think you're doing yourself a favor by hanging out with people two to three times your age? You should be hanging with other 13-14 yr olds. You could definitely use an adult to help you get through these years, but no one here is prepared to take on that task. It's a job for your family.

I don't want you to think I'm insulting your intelligence. I think you have a lot of knowledge for a 13 yr old. You just don't have enough life experience to be socializing with adults, especially not in a place like this where very mature (and sometimes immature) subject matter gets discussed.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
I am not asking anyone to do anything differently as far as what or how they post.

Ok, let's face it, I am talking about Altron, here... Altron, honey - if I offend you, please tell me, ok?

Here is a 13 yr old boy who is on the computer all the time, even at the wee hours of the morning when, in any healthy family with young kids, he should be in bed. So does this not tell you a little something? Maybe he's lonely? Maybe he has no guidance whatsoever and is trying to find a place to fit in? So here he finds a MB with adults in it where he can post too and he tries to fit in only to be ridiculed and belittled.

If you are uncomfortable saying certain things because you know a 13 yr old is going to read it, then don't take it up with him - take that up with whoever it is that sets the age limit for the board.

Imagine you're at a party. Someone brings thier child. He's 13. Do you respond to his "youthful"(read immature, ignorant, silly) remarks with belittlement or denigration? No. You either ignore it or chuckle along with him so he doesn't feel humiliated.

Can you see what I am saying? By the age limit as low as 13, we are saying that we allow children in this board - so collectively we have the responsibility of treating him (her) as such.

I am not saying we have to watch our topics or responses to eachother - meaning the older group who has a stronger sense of identity(well..hehe..sorta, you know what I mean).

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Altron said:
Sorry, but in 5 years I might act like a mature adult...

Don't rush, honey!! I mean, there are people here who are...oohh... 37... and don't act mature!! ;)

(Did I ever tell you how old I was??hehe)

Scanty

I agree with Spirit.

But I also want to add that...(and I'll try and put it delicately)... being around older people, younger people want to seem as if they know things and make it clear that they know things. It's just bravado. It's not that they have a 'scary amount of knowledge'.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:rolleyes: Sorry..I think his time would be better spent searching for acceptance by his piers rather than searching for tolerance from us....We are entertaining his fantasy and hes waisting his youth trying to play pretend here...

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Why are you rolling your eyes, Squiggy??(

Are you saying it's ok to be condescending, belittling and so on to him?

Scanty

Squiggy said:
:rolleyes: Sorry..I think his time would be better spent searching for acceptance by his piers rather than searching for tolerance from us....We are entertaining his fantasy and hes waisting his youth trying to play pretend here...

I don't disagree. :shrug:

Apart from the bit about seeking acceptance. His best bet is probably to just be himself.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Spirit, I wish him no harm. My point is that, we are in a no-win situation with our actions toward him...If we tolerate, he assumes acceptance. If we attempt to alienate, he assumes rejection. If we ignore, he assumes belittlement.... The only outcome that comes close to what you want for him is tolerance...Which leaves us discussing things we shouldn't in front of him....I'm just as uneasy with that....If he shows up in your thread and starts insisting,post after post, that you explain what you're doing with the whipped cream, do you lie? Do you tell him? Do you ignore him? Do you tell him to "ask his father"? None of those options is ideal for him be it long or short run....

Q

Spirit said:
Why are you rolling your eyes, Squiggy?
maybe he's trying to figure out what the socio-educational benefit of a picture of two women kissing in a sexual manner and the conversation it would inspire, would be for a 13 y/o.

Maybe he's trying to figure out why an adult would post as a kid
Perhaps the answer is in this thread.

Ardsgaine

Spirit's not asking us to clean up the board to give it a PG rating. She's just saying we shouldn't kick him quite so hard. I've done some kicking myself... honestly, he irritates me quite a bit at times. I understand Spirit's point of view, though, and I guess I'll try to do better.

Q said:
Maybe he's trying to figure out why an adult would post as a kid
Perhaps the answer is in this thread.

There are so many other things a guy could lie about in order to get attention from the women on this board. Things that wouldn't box him in if he wanted to get more personal with them offline. I wouldn't want to underestimate the sort of things that people will lie about-- I've been told some pretty senseless lies before-- but I need more evidence to believe that he's lying about his age.

Q

Some people do it just for the sheer entertainment value of causing the type of chaos this has precipitated.

It's the very reason each account needs it's own email addy, it's the very reason most boards frown on the use of Alter-egos.

Just his user name is a play on the word Alter.

Q

I do know why one person in particular does it. He thinks it encourages people to post...and it does...the problem is, it always ends up making a mess like this.

Thank you for your participation Ladies and Gentlemen...you have been the entertainment.

Ardsgaine

Q said:
Some people do it just for the sheer entertainment value of causing the type of chaos this has precipitated.

It's the very reason each account needs it's own email addy, it's the very reason most boards frown on the use of Alter-egos.

Just his user name is a play on the word Alter.

You have good points... I don't know. You could be right. Now that I think about it, I remember wondering when he first started posting if he was just putting us on about being 13. I know that I didn't know what a penis enlargement device was when I was that age, but I did know what a condom was. I can't imagine any 13 y/o these days not knowing what one is. Don't they teach them about condoms in elementary school now? :eh:

Status
Not open for further replies.