Don't like our policies

Ardsgaine

Squiggy said:
Read the thread titles in this forum Ards. You'll find several designed to inflame the left and I doubt there are any designed to inflame the right.

I just read through them, and I'm really not sure which ones you're talking about. Could you be more specific? If you're talking about "Is Suppression a Rule of Marxism," I started that one because of a disagreement I was having with some people on the right...

Squiggy said:
Five posts in and I'm having five different arguments from five different people all of whom are using my response to someone else to say I'm non responsive or some other shit. Or one of you runs out and starts another anti-left thread and if I ignore it I'm nonresponsive or have no grounds or some other shit. Its totally fucking stupid anymore....

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you've got entirely too many arguments going on at once in RW, and you can't pull away to do anything else without being accused of running away from the debate. Been there, done that. It's really bad when you feel like you're doing your best to hold up your end of the debate by providing good arguments, while the other person is being obtuse, jingoistic and/or insulting.

Here is some personal advice, Squig, totally outside of the political debate:

Choose the people you enjoy debating with and concentrate on talking with them.

Don't make yourself responsible for defending the entire Democratic party. You're only responsible for your own views.

If there's someone who just really irritates you, put him on your ignore list. It's not running away from a debate if he's doing nothing but tossing out one-liners.

HeXp£Øi±

*piss2*
outside looking in said:
*piss2*
threadclosed.gif

Ardsgaine

Squiggy said:
Is this a trick?

Nah. :) It probably got lost there for awhile today, but you and I have been on friendly terms in the past. We've been able to disagree without being disagreable...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In the past couple of months I have started a thread or two meant to get people riled up. With those exceptions, what I post is stories that back up what I believe or just seem interesting. Very few were meant to "inflame the left". I've never called anyone fascist/communist/stalinist/nazi/etc, that I recall. Hell, even pointing somebody out as left is a stretch. Maybe flavio in a heat of the moment thing, but that is usually left for humorous ocasssions.

I'd rather debate facts or perceptions with information. Everybody has an opinion & some I agree with & others I think are foolish. I will do my damnedest to change your mind if I truly believe you are wrong. I also try very hard to avoid labels because I can't be labeled. It depends on the situation which side I take. I will go off on somebody that disrespects what I'm saying. If I'm wrong, prove me wrong. I can, will & have admitted being incorrect when the facts are there to back up what you're saying. When I see fault in the logic, I'll call you on it. If you see fault in mine, let me know without calling me names.

This thread title, for instance, is simply a link to a website & 4 pages later we're still fighting. C'mon.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Squiggy said:
Ards, if you need my unchanged view on this "attack where' question, you'll find much of it in this thread from February...

Hmm...I just read the beginning of that thread, and I'm surprised you brought up the Shah. It was very interesting, to say the least. ;)

Squiggy

ThunderDick
that was my guess too, Gato....until they started poking the stick at Syria. Now its up for grabs. Who will take the bait?......:eek6:

Gato_Solo

I was actually looking towards some time in "The Land of the Morning Calm" before Iran. Perhaps we're taking on the smaller 'bullies' first to gauge world response. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You don't think our presence alone can fortify the Iranians looking for a change?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm not sure if you were asking Gato or myself but i'm not sure on that one. i tend to doubt it or the unrest would certainly be rearing its head by now. Just an opinion though. :shrug:

Gato_Solo

Actually, the children of those Iranian students who took over our embassy in 1976 are protesting for a more moderate state. :shrug: Who knows where that is headed? Syria, OTOH, is going to be a nightmare if it kicks off within the next 6 years or so...

Ardsgaine

Squiggy said:
Ards, if you need my unchanged view on this "attack where' question, you'll find much of it in this thread from February...

Thanks for the link. I learned quite a bit from that.