Drug War in Mexico

valkyrie

(I thought we had a thread already but I couldn't find it.)

As The Drug War Rages On, Will Mexico Surrender?

This was an excellent story I heard this morning on NPR. On the one hand, I understand the strategy to give up The War On Drugs in Mexico. I am torn as to whether this is the right move. Some of the substances classified as "drugs" I consider as harmful as alcohol and some are highly addicting. To make all substances legal in Mexico might be a problem for the US. Should Mexico deal with their problems with the best solution for themselves without regards to the US? They are certainly in a bind with the tragic violence that is prevalent, especially around the border, and this has spilled into the US on many occasions.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
They already surrendered.

So now, the cartels have taken on US Customs officials, landowners near the border and neighboring police. It's time to use Bush's major fuck up & allow the militrary to control the border. Posse Comitatus is no more.

valkyrie

There are civilian border patrols in Texas and Arizona. I think Arizona is more serious about it because they seem to have the worst of the drug problems. Most of the people who cross the border here in Texas are just looking for labor jobs. Most people here have no problem with that.

Do you believe that the Guard should be called back to protect the state borders? Or do you believe this should continue to be a U.S. Border Patrol situation?

MrBishop

Mexico has a huge problem with the cartels and the USA is the cartels' biggest customer. It should not come as a surprise that the border is awash with drug smuggling... they were invited in with open wallets, if not open arms.

catocom

Mexico has a huge problem with the cartels and the USA is the cartels' biggest customer. It should not come as a surprise that the border is awash with drug smuggling... they were invited in with open wallets, if not open arms.

uhhh huhhhh, and it seems our so-called government officials are the biggest buyers.
Maybe not drugs directly, but lobbied.
They seem to be as corrupt as the officials in Mexico now.

catocom

not that I care to share.

Geez man, you must not really know these people.
They don't play man.

ResearchMonkey

If we only had a big-ass'd fence to slow this invasion of foreign nationals.

If only we didn't reward criminals by offering citizenship to their children illegally born here.

MrBishop

The fence is a cute idea... doesn't stop tunnelling though, nor fly-overs, nor boats.
Ask the Israelis how effective a fence alone is.

catocom

no-one but the people against it keep talking about "fence only, or alone".

Apparently the Israelis think it's a good thing...they keep building.

ResearchMonkey

The fence is a cute idea... doesn't stop tunnelling though, nor fly-overs, nor boats.
Ask the Israelis how effective a fence alone is.

Tires cant move people, why do bother making them?

It because we use tires as part of system that is capable of moving people and objects.

A fence will reduce the flow considerably. Why can't we then develop a second fence by driving solid sensored rods 200 feet down into the ground, it too would help.

Add a few AWACS and some other type of patrols and sensors -- we can reduce the flow to 5% or less than what it is today.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Do you believe that the Guard should be called back to protect the state borders? Or do you believe this should continue to be a U.S. Border Patrol situation?

I believe that we need to place M1A1 Abrams in patrol mode. Seriously. not the Guard but the regulars. Army, AF, Marines. It is time to end this.

jimpeel

This guy has the right idea. Legalize drugs and the cartels will have no funds -- or at least not like they are making them now.

The only thing that the government should do that they have not previously done -- and the medical marijuana mess illustrates this perfectly -- is to have government dispensaries rather than letting the public domain distribute them. Utah and some other states have government liquor outlets and that has worked wonderfully.

We didn't have gangsters until prohibition and they are still with us to this day. Prohibition creates criminality.

SOURCE

Mexico Ex-President Fox Calls for Drug Legalization
By Jonathan J. Levin and Jens Erik Gould - Aug 9, 2010 11:49 AM MT

Former Mexican President Vicente Fox said his country should legalize the production and sale of drugs in order to curb rising cartel-related violence.

Legalizing narcotics would curtail funding to organized crime groups, who are using profits from the drug trade to consolidate power, Fox wrote yesterday on his personal website.

“Radical prohibition strategies have never worked,” Fox said. “The cost of the fight against organized crime, and in particular narcotics trafficking, has been enormous in our country.”

The drug war has killed 28,000 people in Mexico since late 2006, when President Felipe Calderon entered office vowing to take on the cartels, according to data from the government intelligence agency, known as CISEN. That’s keeping tourists away and limiting foreign direct investment, Fox said.

Fox said in a July 28 interview with Bloomberg Television that the U.S. as well as Mexico were responsible for the violence.

“What is happening is that this huge market of the United States in drug consumption, the largest in the world, is generating the weapons that are sold to Mexican cartels, and is generating the money that is laundered in the United States and brought to Mexico,” Fox said.

Arms Trafficking

More than 90 percent of weapons used in violent crimes in Mexico are brought in illegally from the U.S., according to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives.

President Barack Obama vowed during a visit to Mexico last year that the U.S. would take more aggressive steps to help the country battle drug cartels by urging the Senate to ratify a decade-old treaty on arms trafficking in Latin America.

Calderon, a member of Fox’s National Action Party, said last week that he was open to debate on the legalization issue, even as he said he was personally opposed to the idea because it represented a health risk to society.

Legalization measures have worked in other countries, which use new taxes on the products to finance addiction recovery programs, Fox said.

In 2009, Mexico decriminalized possession of small amounts of drugs including marijuana, cocaine and heroin.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jonathan J. Levin in Mexico City at [email protected]; Jens Erik Gould in Mexico City at [email protected]