edibile oddities

unclehobart

What do you like to eat that freaks your friends out... that hardly anyone that you know will try?

I love sushi... but its about as big here as licking slugs.

tonksy

i work with some non-eating individuals. they won't eat this and they won't eat that. i can't imagine living such a dull culinary existance.

HeXp£Øi±

My wife could dominate this entire thread. She keeps stuff in the freezer i won't even mention since i'd rather not have greenpeace on the doorstep. The only foods i eat regularly that might disgust some are all manner of shellfish/mussels crab/shrimp/prawns and of course i couldn't live without sardines in mustard/Louisiana hot sauce. I will, by personal rule, try anything once. Even bugs.

BeardofPants

Sashimi, and miscellaneous bits of raw fish. Dunno what the big-arse deal is. :confused: Tastes better, more often than not, than cooked fish. :shrug: Kimchi... again, I don't get what's so offensive about it. :confused: Don't have a problem with shellfish either.

DFisherman

Let's see:

- Escargot with garlic and butter
- Kibbe (which is made with raw lamb)
- Raw egg in orange juice
- Pine sap
- Jagermeister

Cheers,

- DFisherman

HeXp£Øi±

BeardofPants said:
Sashimi, and miscellaneous bits of raw fish. Dunno what the big-arse deal is. :confused: Tastes better, more often than not, than cooked fish. :shrug: Kimchi... again, I don't get what's so offensive about it. :confused: Don't have a problem with shellfish either.

It's not the taste of certain foods i think most people have a problem with but the idea of some foods and at least for me the texture. I hate eating peas because of the squishing feeling you get while eating them but i love the taste. Same goes for beans. To this day the only way i can stand peas or beans is to blend them.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
my kids have a new fun game...It's called lets eat cold whole squid at the chinese buffet and watch mom gag.

ClaireBear

Banned
I love sushi... also a digestive biscuits with chedder cheese and strawberry jam on top... that kinda makes most people gag! :D

I used to pick my nose and eat it too.. but I was seven the last time I tried that!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Let's see

I had kim chi, sushi, sashimi, shellfish, a meat that costs $30 per pound I won't mention because people in this forum are extremely outraged when it's mentioned, kelp, nori, ox-tail soup, chitterlings (which i found actually to be tasty, but refuse to cook in my house), huevos del toro ( :sick: ), fry-bread, all manner of fruits and berries...the list goes on, but most of it was eaten in a drunken haze, so I can't remember the names, or what it was, exactly...only that I thought it was tasty.

chcr

Too cute for words
Let's see, I've tried prairie oysters (not bad), escargot (didn't really like it), various kinds of sushi (some of it's good but generally won't order it) and I like kimchi. I also really like wasabi, but I don't know if it grosses anyone out. I'll try most anything (except bugs ;) ) once.

DFisherman

chcr said:
Let's see, I've tried prairie oysters (not bad), escargot (didn't really like it), various kinds of sushi (some of it's good but generally won't order it) and I like kimchi. I also really like wasabi, but I don't know if it grosses anyone out. I'll try most anything (except bugs ;) ) once.

Then I guess the "Insect Tasting" at the Montreal Insectarium is out of the question for you.

Link to site: 2005 Insect Tasting

Cheers,

- DFisherman

HeXp£Øi±

Gato_Solo said:
Let's see

I had kim chi, sushi, sashimi, shellfish, a meat that costs $30 per pound I won't mention because people in this forum are extremely outraged when it's mentioned...
Oh now you've got to fess up. Was it whale...dog? C'mon spit it out. I've had muktuk & seal but i won't do either of those again. :D

Gato_Solo

HeXp£Øi± said:
Oh now you've got to fess up. Was it whale...dog? C'mon spit it out. I've had muktuk & seal but i won't do either of those again. :D

Actually...whale is illegal outside of Japan and Norway.

HeXp£Øi±

Gato_Solo said:
Actually...whale is illegal outside of Japan and Norway.

It's legal in Alaska for some Eskimo groups. Leahs village takes 2 Bowhead per year. Still very dangerous i might add. They use a 21' lund not the huge whalers you see in the movies.

Gato_Solo

HeXp£Øi± said:
It's legal in Alaska for some Eskimo groups. Leahs village takes 2 Bowhead per year. Still very dangerous i might add. They use a 21' lund not the huge whalers you see in the movies.

I didn't mention them, because they aren't allowed to sell to the public.

Starya

Gosh, I'm such a bore when it comes to food. I don't even eat whale. Don't like the taste. This, of course, annoys my kid a lot, cause since I don't like it, I couldn't be bothered to buy it. And he loves it. I'm so mean..

PrincessLissa

I eat all sorts of weird stuff. Pickles dipped in my ketchup. Pickles dipped in Ranch. I LOVE me some corndogs with dijon mustard. Cottage cheese makes a lot people ill, but I will sit down and eat half a container with some salt and pepper.