End of an era

Inkara1

Well, now JJR's site is nothing but a "suspended account" page. It appears we've lost more than three years of history. No matter what you think of the site's owner, the stuff posted there was practically priceless. There are certainly a number of threads I'll miss.

Mirlyn

It seemed every time I went there in the past six months, it was either down or dead. :shrug:

AlladinSane

Is it permanent? Bizarre it happened just after I asked you if there was a way to back up th database. I had a lot of valuable personal stuff posted there. I'll miss the Secret forum also :(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I sure hope that it can be saved. I've spent a lot of time reading there, even after the posting died off.

MrBishop

I was just there yesterday, taking with s4. Got an email this morning telling me that I had a PM waiting. Guess that I'll never get it now. Wondering if we can get the backups sent to us and integrated into OTC archives (As if it had happened here) for X$'s

hmmm?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
bish im trying to get ahold of jjr or ash to do just that. but i would leave jjr's intack and seperate.

noite a couple of us were talking about that lastnight, trying to get the post out of there before it went by the wayside. Oh and noite you have a PM at XI.

MrBishop

OK...just got off the phone with LiquidWeb. The information is not deleted, merely not online right now. JJR was 1 month behind on his payments. In order to get JJR back online, we'd have to pay $24.95 for last month, and the same for the existing month. If we were to get permission from JJR, then we could export the message board in it's entirety and filter it into OTC. In other words, all messages past and present from JJR would look as if they had actually happened here on OTC.

I'm not sure if the owner of JJR's is available for comment, but we'd need his permission to run it.

Comments?

http://www.liquidweb.com/contact/index.htm

samcurry

Staff member
the only problem with integration is the post numbers. it would throw all post numbers jabberwocky. cause of duplicate post numbers. i think we would have to have it seperate ie another forum like it is now or somehow manage to give the whole site a forum within otc. im not the most technical on these matters fury is. but i think it would be easier to have it as a hosted site among otc,xibase, racing-forums, tss.

samcurry

Staff member
i think he was around 300-400 mb of space. I think if the frontend was trimmed out and just the forums were intack we could shrink the size down by a 100mb. if i do some moving around i would have the room to hold it. we got like a gig of space total here.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
We are fresh out of all 2 gigs of allocatable disk space. It'd need another hosting account, or an upgrade to this one, which either way requires $$$.

MrBishop

Hadn't thought of the post #s. Hmmm.... Hosting it amongst the members of OTC, XI etc... not familiar with racing-forums, tss.

This might get a bit expensive to host that many sites, especially with competing forums.

MrBishop

fury said:
We are fresh out of all 2 gigs of allocatable disk space. It'd need another hosting account, or an upgrade to this one, which either way requires $$$.

Which'd be less expensive, upgrading OTC or paying for JJR as a seperate account?

samcurry

Staff member
well i think part of what would have to be decided is to keep it open for posting or to keep it open for reading only.

damn fury we gotta get some more room then for here. if were running tight we could run into problems. "passes the offerings plate around donations for space"

bish upgrading otc space would be. pleus less of a hassle since all other sites are administered thru 1 account.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Upgrading the space that OTC shares between the other sites would be cheaper
[doh, that'll teach me to refresh before replying.]

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I would think that if we were to keep it open it should be just for reading...I don't see the point in keeping it open for posting...if anyone sees a thread they really wanna be part of they can restart it at OTC or Xi...OR XI...OR XI (no I am not hinting at anything ;) )

Mirlyn

Nixy said:
I would think that if we were to keep it open it should be just for reading...I don't see the point in keeping it open for posting...

Same here. I'd say just let it die, but if not, there's no reason to pay thrice for what we already have twice.

Out of curiosity, what are we using versus allocated for bandwith here?

greenfreak

Nixy said:
I would think that if we were to keep it open it should be just for reading...I don't see the point in keeping it open for posting...if anyone sees a thread they really wanna be part of they can restart it at OTC or Xi...OR XI...OR XI (no I am not hinting at anything ;) )

I agree. It should only be an archive. I have a question though, how would you handle the "special forums" that require certain access? Like the Moderator's Hideout for example? That kind of situation could get sticky. It might open some old wounds or cause new ones.