End of an era

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Mirlyn said:
Same here. I'd say just let it die, but if not, there's no reason to pay thrice for what we already have twice.

Out of curiosity, what are we using versus allocated for bandwith here?
OTC or as a whole?

I agree. It should only be an archive. I have a question though, how would you handle the "special forums" that require certain access? Like the Moderator's Hideout for example? That kind of situation could get sticky. It might open some old wounds or cause new ones.
If it even happens, the database would remain intact so that users would be able to log in, it would just be impossible to edit, post, PM, etc.

BlurOfSerenity

I AM REPLYING TO THIS THREAD NOW!!

as many of you know, i am JJR512's sister.

the reason this is happening, is because he has no money for internet access, much less for a website.

i'll contact him asap, and ask him if there's anything i can do.

i'll keep ya'll posted.

greenfreak

fury said:
OTC or as a whole?

If it even happens, the database would remain intact so that users would be able to log in, it would just be impossible to edit, post, PM, etc.

Ooooh I gotcha. So if you were a Mod at JJR's and already had access, you could see it. But if you were a regular member, you couldn't. That's cool.

I want to thank you guys for considering this. You could have just let it fall by the wayside, I just think it's really cool of you. :)

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
well i would think those would prolly not make it to the lite of day. maybe the ones whao had access at the end would be allowed to pull out what they had. but otherwise i dont think airing it would be productive either.

BlurOfSerenity

i just talked to justin

he'll be over shortly to use our internet and see what's going on. i'll have him read this thread so he can see your suggestions :)

MrBishop

ash r said:
I AM REPLYING TO THIS THREAD NOW!!

as many of you know, i am JJR512's sister.

the reason this is happening, is because he has no money for internet access, much less for a website.

i'll contact him asap, and ask him if there's anything i can do.

i'll keep ya'll posted.

Thanks AshR.

JJr's site helped me get back online and on BBS's again. It'd be a real shame to find it, and everythign I've ever posted on/commented on suddenly dissapear into the depths of fdisk.

*Aside: What happens to the members of JJR that weren't on OTC or XI. Would they suddenly find themselves members of a site they've never seen before? What about IP-Blocked members? s4 comes to mind. I know that he's IP-blocked here and on Xi, but he was seen bouncing around on what was left of JJR's.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
As Sammy said it'd most likely be separate from either OTC or Xi. The only common grounds is that it'd be hosted on the same server.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
if possible i think the best solution would be to have the www.jjr512.com simply point to an archive on the same server as otc and xi are on

samcurry

Staff member
that is handeled by a site function bish. it they were blocked by jjr it would remin the same. as for the other he and i post at different sites, we dont get along but tolerat each other. if it were a read only then they would be directed to start new post at one of the other sites.
if it was open to post then no worries. the only problem would be the vb license i dont own it and i dont think legally anyone other than jjr could ok it to leave open to post. unless the license was transfered or software was changed.

thanks ash, i know alot of people are curious/worried about all their post they did on his site and just dont want to lose a part of their internet life.

Inkara1

One slight problem with redirecting people to post here if they try to post at an archived JJR's. My soon-to-be-ex and her mother, brother and sister-in-law spent the last couple days signed up under fake names trying to provoke me into-God-knows-what. I never told Brandi the address for this site, nor the other one I post at. The other one would be safe, but they might find out about here that way... and if you've read what they've posted (and been able to understand what they're talking through the complete lack of grasp of the language) you can see why I wanted to mitigate the problem and keep them confined to as small of an area as possible. I think everyone who has seen what they were posting would agree with me.

I went to a lot of effort to sign up here.

I have always been a member in good standing at JJR's website. I don't like the idea of my 1200 posts from JJR's being taken over by Sam if I am ip banned. If you can find it in your heart to unban me and remove the ip block then I might find it in mine to forgive a little.

I don't have a problem with JJR's site being saved so that people can read it, but I want to be able to read it too. That is only fair.

I was beginning to return to JJR's with the idea of helping to get it going again. I posted a few times and was waiting to see if it was going to be online or not. Contrary to what some believe, I had a few people at JJR's that liked me including JJR himself.

Am I unbanned or not? This is s4. I am not lying about or hiding who I am. Thanks. I'll check back to see if I am still blocked out again one of these days. If I am then I will not post again but might contact JJR in some way. Thank you.

samcurry

Staff member
inky, i have no problems going straight to their isp if necessary to stop the insanity for ya. Plus the host is great at working with us on this type of problem, so dont let them become a hinderance for ya. we got yer back here. my old trigger finger might have to be lubed a little but i think it still works.

samcurry

Staff member
S4 if JJR decides to let us help him out of the bind, the site stays as is. if your not banned there now you wouldnt be later. if your banned already there then the ban would stay in place. ip banning has nothing to do with the host at this point just in the forum software.

unclehobart

I would just assume that the site be absorbed or just let die. I can't see it surviving 'as is' ... because in 2 months we will be right back where we started from except with lighter pockets for the effort.

MrBishop

samcurry said:
S4 if JJR decides to let us help him out of the bind, the site stays as is. if your not banned there now you wouldnt be later. if your banned already there then the ban would stay in place. ip banning has nothing to do with the host at this point just in the forum software.

He wasn't IP banned on JJr's site...just here and XI. Not sure how he managed to post here (Although he may have used another compi to do it).

MrBishop

unclehobart said:
I would just assume that the site be absorbed or just let die. I can't see it surviving 'as is' ... because in 2 months we will be right back where we started from except with lighter pockets for the effort.

Have to agree with Unc here...sorry to say this JJR (if you're reading this), but there was a reason for the migration from JJr512 to OTC and XI. I know that I only moved over because I was following the crowd, and NOT for any personal feelings towards you, but I can't speak for everyone else.

samcurry said:

I'm keeping my login details for this site in a temp folder in the event that I find myself banned using this login id. I'm pleasantly surprised that I was able to post and thank you for not instantly banning this id.

I think it would be nice of you to remove the ip block that is in place for xibase and otc. I could explain a little further, but I think if you remove the block you will be pleasantly surprised as well. It's like I told Mr. Bishop the other day. I told him a pm at JJR's that it's your site and you can run it the way you want.

I see one problem if the site is brought back. I made a post the other day that bound to make somebody mad. I think that post should be left alone and not discussed any further.