End of an era

greenfreak

I already took a screen print of the first post. All he did was add the last paragraph, he didn't change anything else.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be nice of you to remove the ip block that is in place for xibase and otc. I could explain a little further, but I think if you remove the block you will be pleasantly surprised as well. It's like I told Mr. Bishop the other day. I told him a pm at JJR's that it's your site and you can run it the way you want.
What you think isn't always what you get, otherwise there'd be a LOT of hot naked chicks roaming the streets pouncing on unsuspecting (or perhaps, suspecting) geeks, nerds, and other socially defunct people. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Back to the topic.

Having JJR's forums as an archive is a good idea.

Inkara1

Now I'm kicking myself for not backing up the database when I had the opportunity. I was tinkering around in the admin control panel to get rid of the weather section so that the rest of the site would load. There was a "backup database" link. I thought about clicking it, too, but thought it might be a bit too big. This was about 6 hours before the site went down, too. Since I'm on DSL, I'd probably have finished the download long before the site went belly-up.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:hmm: EXCUSE ME! This ain't Reclaimed Topics Central, ya know....This thread was legitimately stolen and derailed. If you want it back, do it right. :lol::lol:

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
ahhhhhh i thought we were gonna have a record in this thread of how long it took to go off topic. i was hoping 3 pages.
better luck next time. :p

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
inky, the backup prolly would have went fast, but i think if they would have saw that type of activity they might have waited for it to end.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Now I'm kicking myself for not backing up the database when I had the opportunity. I was tinkering around in the admin control panel to get rid of the weather section so that the rest of the site would load. There was a "backup database" link. I thought about clicking it, too, but thought it might be a bit too big. This was about 6 hours before the site went down, too. Since I'm on DSL, I'd probably have finished the download long before the site went belly-up.
Inky, PHP has a 30 second maximum time limit on most servers. The backup wouldn't have even finished writing in that time. It is only possible to do it under SSH after a certain point (most sites, it's around 15-20 megs)

I didn't say the internet was all about me. I just asked to have the ip ban lifted is all. Since we are talking about JJR's and I was a member in good standing then it seems to me that lifting it would make sense. If you would lift the ban then there would be no more mention of it.

The question I have is if there is a real purpose to opening JJR's for business. You already have otc and xibase. Most people want it for reading purposes from what I can see. The sad thing is that JJR's is one of the few sites that I really like going to. The mods and members have always been good to me.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Old Friend said:
I didn't say the internet was all about me. I just asked to have the ip ban lifted is all. Since we are talking about JJR's and I was a member in good standing then it seems to me that lifting it would make sense. If you would lift the ban then there would be no more mention of it.

The question I have is if there is a real purpose to opening JJR's for business. You already have otc and xibase. Most people want it for reading purposes from what I can see. The sad thing is that JJR's is one of the few sites that I really like going to. The mods and members have always been good to me.

quoted...just 'cuz

unclehobart

There are like 50-100 golden instances of pure comedy genius inside of JJRs database that I would just loathe to see go the way of the do-do. If they can be saved, brilliant. If not, life is cruel. Either way, I shall live. I have the most to lose outside of Justin himself as I had near 15,000 posts. Some of it wasn't half bad.