Fair food

kuulani

Are you guys serious with the fried gator and beavertail ... or am I being too literal?

(yup, i'm a sheltered island girl) :eek8:

tonksy

Fried gator is awesome. Gator any way is awesome. Marlowe and I had gator chili and gator tacos for lunch.

tonksy

Sorta a cross between chicken and fish but with a shrimplike consistency.
The chili we had was ground gator tail which all but disappears but leaves a nice flavor. Most people like it fried. The best way I have ever had it was blackened in a big slab. That's a rare find outside of Louisiana though and kinda pricey even in Louisiana.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
The beaver tails are not really beaver meat. They are a pastry type thing similar in idea to the funnel cake but MUCH BETTER! There's only a few places you can get a real genuine beaver tail and those places include the Toronto Zoo, the top of Blue Mountain, the top of I believe Mt Tremblant and I don't remember where else.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
hmmm just looked up their website and it seems they've expanded significantly since the last I heard

Professur

The beaver tails are not really beaver meat. They are a pastry type thing similar in idea to the funnel cake but MUCH BETTER! There's only a few places you can get a real genuine beaver tail and those places include the Toronto Zoo, the top of Blue Mountain, the top of I believe Mt Tremblant and I don't remember where else.

How about Loews dairy bar, not 20 minutes from where my arse is parked right this instant. Magnetic hill in NB has not only the dessert Beavertails, but pizza styles too.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
How about Loews dairy bar, not 20 minutes from where my arse is parked right this instant. Magnetic hill in NB has not only the dessert Beavertails, but pizza styles too.

If you read my next post you will see that I admitted there are many many more places than I thought...

Professur

Yes, I'd read that. I was merely pointing out one more thing you missed by not coming up to the cottage.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yes, I'd read that. I was merely pointing out one more thing you missed by not coming up to the cottage.

You don't even know how bad I feel for missing out on it. I can't even begin to describe to you my mindset when I lived in Toronto and the disconnect I felt between what I wanted most and my ability to make myself get off my lazy ass and get those things. It's getting much better now but I am still sad about the things I've missed out on.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
And soon to come, the realization that I had heaped upon me at a young age (even younger than you are now): You never get to go back.

Oh, I know all too well that you never get to go back. I knew that while I was missing my chance to come visit you at your cottage...I guess that speaks for the slump I was in...it was enough to over come that knowledge.

JTP

The chili we had was ground gator tail which all but disappears but leaves a nice flavor. Most people like it fried. The best way I have ever had it was blackened in a big slab. That's a rare find outside of Louisiana though and kinda pricey even in Louisiana.

Florida and southern Georgia, too- still a high-dollar item.
When I die, they can chuck my carcass in the Okeefenokee Swamp- I've eaten enough gator over the years- let 'em get a little back!
:grinyes:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

Heh, heh, heh...She said Gator tastes like chicken...heh, heh, heh...:D

You know you can get rid of the 'fishy' taste by an hour soak in buttermilk, right? ;)

Professur

In a few minutes, I'll be firing up the coals for smoking a pork picnic using Rob Rainford's recipe.