fat tire

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
perhaps. but one could suggest that what you prefer is barely beer at all.

Mebbe. But I's the one adrinkin it, an' I don't do it to impress a damn soul. If I wants bread, I eats bread. I need a beer to do precisely three things for me: Be cold, taste good, and wash the hot wing sauce down. It ain't a status symbol for me. Few things are.

2minkey

bootlicker
Bud does that.
Actually, lots of beer use an adjunct of some kind and many use corn. Beeradvocate.com is a good source for investigating a brew.

yup. bud does. and to me it sucks. beers that use corn/rice tend to be pretty blaaaaaah if you're really into beer (if you simply prefer lighter, mild brews like SnP that's fine too).

me, i don't really like any pilsener beers. i'm pretty much an ale guy. on the flip side, i enjoy but limit porters and stouts, and really despise the taste of doppels.

it's not so much snobbery as it is simple experience/familiarity. we like what we like because our taste buds become cultivated in certain ways. first beer i brewed, like lots of people, was a brown ale. then came a pale ale. and then it just stuck.

tonksy

yup. bud does. and to me it sucks. beers that use corn/rice tend to be pretty blaaaaaah if you're really into beer (if you simply prefer lighter, mild brews like SnP that's fine too).

me, i don't really like any pilsener beers. i'm pretty much an ale guy. on the flip side, i enjoy but limit porters and stouts, and really despise the taste of doppels.

it's not so much snobbery as it is simple experience/familiarity. we like what we like because our taste buds become cultivated in certain ways. first beer i brewed, like lots of people, was a brown ale. then came a pale ale. and then it just stuck.

Right. Which is why I have never understood how people can say they don't like beer. It's like saying you don't like...soup. All the different varieties are, well, so different. It's like wine, you taste a bunch until you find the kind you're into.
I am pretty much NOT a lager person (Sam's is okay), wheat ales are what I tend to drink when I want a light brew. On the flipside, I do love a nice chocolate stout.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Right. Which is why I have never understood how people can say they don't like beer. It's like saying you don't like...soup.

Well, I actually don't like soup! I guess that explains it, haha.

unclehobart

Only you and Unc would know that some beers have corn...my question is did he find out the easy or the hard way? :lloyd:
Some?! Something like 80% of beers made in the world have some form of adjunct and 3/4 of adjuncts beers are corn based.

The dead giveaway is that 99.99% of lagers are adjunct brews... that is to say that the light, clear (read pussified), beers are all corn mash gunk.

Sharky

They're right. Beer is supposed to get you drunk..not change your social class.
The buzz is just a lagniappe, a bonus. A flavorful beer is enjoyable in itself. It's not about social standing or impressing anybody. Minkey said it better . . . it's not snobbery, it's knowing what you like.

Sharky - We will be traversing I-10 in a week or so. Would you like a meet up and perhaps a beer goodie bag?
That would be awesome! It would be good to see you guys again. Let me know when and where (Chipley would be a good place - it's right off 10 and there are lots of places to meet up).

i'm sure this is someone's slogan...

"real beer is does not use rice as an adjunct."
Bingo!

I hadn't realized there were so many Rolling Rock fans on the board. I raise my green bottle to you. :D

I generally prefer draught to bottles or cans though, and lager or pilsner to heavier brews. I'm sure I've mentioned The Flying Saucer on here before. 75+ beers and ales on tap (heaven, I'm in heaven...). I first went to the one in Memphis but we make a few pilgrimages to the Nashville location per year for brats, kraut and beer.
Sounds like the Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta and Asheville, NC - one is about to open here at the beach, and I can't wait! :cool:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
They got a Mellow Mushroom in Nashvegas now too. Drove past on my way to Vanderbilt Hospital.

And there is only one soup I've ever tried that I like. Chicken and rice. Then, I'm not huge on all that many veggies either.

woodman19_99

I am a big fan of fat tire. Drank a lot of it when I was out in Colorado skiing. Still drink it when I see it out in a bar, but it's usually bass, magic hat #9, or Stella.

I am DEFINITELY not a light beer drinker, nor can I stand any of the big beers, i.e. Bud, Coors, Miller. They just don't taste like real beer...

tonksy

Mellow mushroom has apparently turned to crap. I have never been there but had some of a take out pie and it was lousy.

tonksy

I am sure yours is owned (or at least the franchise held) by other folks. Yours might be good. Heck, others in our area might be good but I have not found just reason to give them a second go.

POStech

Right. Which is why I have never understood how people can say they don't like beer. It's like saying you don't like...soup. All the different varieties are, well, so different. It's like wine, you taste a bunch until you find the kind you're into.
QUOTE]

I've only ever tried the popular brands of beer and they all taste the same to me. Same with wine.

tonksy

The popular brands of beer are all adjunct lagers. Lagers are frankly devoid of character and flavor. If you want to try other beers I could ask you a few questions about your palate that might help you to figure out what style of beer you may enjoy.

chcr

Too cute for words
Sounds like the Mellow Mushroom in Atlanta and Asheville, NC - one is about to open here at the beach, and I can't wait! :cool:

Sorry Sharky, the Mellow Mushroom (at least the three I've been to) blows (if you're going to present yourself as a pizza joint, you ought to at least make a decent pie). The food's not very good and the prices are terrifying. We've got one here in town, I've eaten at one in Nashville (there might be two) and one in Lexington. They were comparable to one another.

There's really no comparison between it and the Flying Saucer, IMO.

T, re "good" beers, I've tried plenty, liked some of them and didn't like others. When I'm going to sit around drinking one or two between sets or with dinner or with a few friends I prefer something lighter, that's all. If we all liked the same stuff, all beer would taste the same now, wouldn't it?

tonksy

Are you talking to me? Of course there should be different kinds. Kinda why I mentioned that it's hard too not like some kind of beer. There are many kinds of lighter beers - lager, pale ale, hefeweizen, wheat ale.

POStech

The popular brands of beer are all adjunct lagers. Lagers are frankly devoid of character and flavor. If you want to try other beers I could ask you a few questions about your palate that might help you to figure out what style of beer you may enjoy.

There are not too many things I like to drink.
My list of likes
1.Diet coke
2.Tea (orange pekoe only)
3.Strawberry milkshakes
4.Vodka and Ginger ale
5.Bailey's
6.Gatorade (all falvours)
7.Killer koolade

That's about it.

I'm just as fussy when it comes to food.

tonksy

There are not too many things I like to drink.
My list of likes
1.Diet coke
2.Tea (orange pekoe only)
3.Strawberry milkshakes
4.Vodka and Ginger ale
5.Bailey's
6.Gatorade (all falvours)
7.Killer koolade

That's about it.

I'm just as fussy when it comes to food.

Okay, cool but that really hasn't what I wanted to know...except for how do you drink you tea - plain? Cream and suger? Just sugar? how much sugar?
What is you favorite cookie? Do you like fruit much? What kind of fruit?

These may seem like silly questions but these kind of questions have been used to pick wines for people in the past and I feel they can be used for beer too.