Feeling strange...

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
Around these parts, a cookie is a sweet treat; a biscuit holds yer sausage or provides a vehicle to get th' gravy in yer mouth.

Ain't that corn bread? Cos if thats not corn bread what the Hell is?

abooja

This is cornbread:

cornbread.jpg

Lopan

abooja said:
I thought it was an accepted fact that English cuisine is one of the worst on earth. Tea and "biscuits" are fine, but don't bother eating anything else all day long. :p

Unfortunately as much a myth as pea soup in London. There was a cultural revolution of sorts in the 1990's, that saw almost all the top chefs being British. I think we benefitted from having Michele Roux and Marco Pierre White train all of our chefs. We now have better restaurants than France and more of them.

The new British food is a fusion of quite a few different cultures. Altogether very tasty.

abooja

Lopan said:
Unfortunately as much a myth as pea soup in London. There was a cultural revolution of sorts in the 1990's, that saw almost all the top chefs being British. I think we benefitted from having Michele Roux and Marco Pierre White train all of our chefs. We now have better restaurants than France and more of them.

The new British food is a fusion of quite a few different cultures. Altogether very tasty.
Exactly. It requires the inclusion of other flavorful cuisines to make it palatable. Fusion cooking is popular here too, but we've also got native cuisines (Southern, for example) that don't require alteration to be edible.

ClaireBear

Banned
abooja said:
Exactly. It requires the inclusion of other flavorful cuisines to make it palatable. Fusion cooking is popular here too, but we've also got native cuisines (Southern, for example) that don't require alteration to be edible.

There is NOTHING native about American cooking unless you're talking native American... "traditional American" cooking is the oldest form of fusion!!!!!!

English, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Irish... etc etc etc

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
ClaireBear said:
There is NOTHING native about American cooking unless you're talking native American... "traditional American" cooking is the oldest form of fusion!!!!!!

English, French, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Irish... etc etc etc

I beg to differ.

Pizza is an American creation. Research it if you don't believe me.

And there is a world of difference between corn bread and biscuits. (I cannot believe I am having to do this...)

Biscuits do not contain corn meal, corn bread does.

Biscuits are baked after being cut to size. Cornbread is baked either in muffin pans or as a whole entity, then sliced.

Child, get yer ass to Dixie and let a pro show you the difference. It'll change your life. There is nothing, and I do mean NO THING, in this world that can hope to take the place of a good skillet of corn bread.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Lopan said:
He's right I am a barbarian, my house has trillabytes in the walls near the basement and its walls are 2 feet thick.

Although don't Americans eat weiners? I mean really come on.

i don't think you can insult Britsih food anymore, I think we have more Michelin starred restaurants then France. Everytime my brother comes back from the states he wonders why there are so many themed restaurants "Big crab" or "Red Lobster" that have an all you can eat menu. Fat bastards

Let's compare, shall we?

.............................US............UK.....
Size (Sq Miles)...3,537,441.....93,278.4
Population.......295,473,029...60,270,708

As for what we eat...I don't go to 'All you can eat' buffets. I prefer a nice, quiet, intimate setting for my dining out. If your brother only saw those types of restaurants, then that's most likely what he wanted to see. Now let's talk 'bangers and mash'...'fish and chips'...'haggis'...All UK additions to world cuisine. I could find a better meal in a cat litter...:p

Lopan

abooja said:

Don't eat the native cuisine, theres Jellied eels and mashed potato in London to stotty and peas pudding in Newcastle.

Theres old Britain which wasn't very cosmopoliton and new Britain which gets embarrassed by old Britain and wishes they would go away.

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
Pizza is an American creation. Research it if you don't believe me.

So Native Americans couldn't make the pasta that was the mainstay of their diet in their homeland and had to improvise by making a dough to make a bread?

Wow! You do learn summit new! :rolleyes: They were Italian immegrants to the NEW WORLD! Not Native Americans!

You're all one big cooking pot of culture and social groups... as are we... you just did it all after us! :D ;)

Child, get yer ass to Dixie and let a pro show you the difference. It'll change your life. There is nothing, and I do mean NO THING, in this world that can hope to take the place of a good skillet of corn bread.

What does it taste like? Like a dumpling that you have mince and gravy with? They are a savoury dish yes? Aren't they tasteless? Corn flour normally is... just tastes... well like corn flour! :D

ClaireBear

Banned
Lopan said:
Don't eat the native cuisine, theres Jellied eels and mashed potato in London

Yack yack yack!!!!!!! YUCK! :sick:

to stotty and peas pudding in Newcastle.

Nowt wrong with a ham on stottie sarnie with a little peas pudding... Abrosia that is... any one into "soul food" would love it!!!

Theres old Britain which wasn't very cosmopoliton and new Britain which gets embarrassed by old Britain and wishes they would go away.

Yup! :) :D He's right!

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
ClaireBear said:
Nowt wrong with a ham on stottie sarnie with a little peas pudding... Abrosia that is... any one into "soul food" would love it!!!

WTF is stottie sarnie? Am I going to have to use Babelfish? ;)

abooja

Gato_Solo said:
Now let's talk 'bangers and mash'...'fish and chips'...'haggis'...All UK additions to world cuisine. I could find a better meal in a cat litter...:p
:alienlol: :laugh: :laugh2: :laugh3:

HomeLAN

ClaireBear said:
What does it taste like? Like a dumpling that you have mince and gravy with? They are a savoury dish yes? Aren't they tasteless? Corn flour normally is... just tastes... well like corn flour! :D

You just proved his point. You deperately NEED a trip to Dixie.

HomeLAN

Last night, I made cormeal breaded catfish with homemade hushpuppies. That's about as southern as it gets, and don't even try comparing that to fish'n'chips.

Lopan

Gato_Solo said:

Its an odd northern thing. A stottie is a type of bread and sarnie is short for sandwich. Its not bad bread but not on a par with a french stick.

ClaireBear

Banned
Gato_Solo said:

A sandwich made from a "stottie" (Sorry a "sarnie" is common parlance for a sandwich.. "Get us a sarnie while you're at the deli will ya?" "Want onions in your sausage sarnie love?" etc etc ;) )

A stottie is a large round flat bun or bap... its bread basically... made very plainly (because we up in the NorthEast have always been piss poor!)... it has a mild yeasty taste and a rather chewy satisfying texture.

Its baked whole then halved and the filling is added in this case ham and peas pudding... steeped plain peas into a satisfying mush and chilled... and then it is cut into quarters or sixths as to how many hungry bairns (or children) you have to feed!

Ask Prof... he's got relies in Darlington!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Claire, in the interest of international relations, I would be willing to walk you through, step by step, the process of making a good skillet of corn bread. It's the least I could do. And allow me to add, my corn bread is very much in demand by all who try it.

Step One: Making sure you have what you need.

1. Oven
2. Cast iron skillet, preferably seasoned. Seasoned = used before but not ever washed, just wiped out.
3. Egg
4. Corn meal
5. Self rising flour
6. Baking soda
7. Milk

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
Claire, in the interest of international relations, I would be willing to walk you through, step by step, the process of making a good skillet of corn bread. It's the least I could do. And allow me to add, my corn bread is very much in demand by all who try it.

Step One: Making sure you have what you need.

1. Oven
2. Cast iron skillet, preferably seasoned. Seasoned = used before but not ever washed, just wiped out.
3. Egg
4. Corn meal
5. Self rising flour
6. Baking soda
7. Milk

Bloomin eck! Its a... its a fricking drop scone!!!!!! We got those! And yes you have it with your main meal.... :D :D :D

Drop scones are northern though... Lopan probably won't know what one is!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
Last night, I made cormeal breaded catfish with homemade hushpuppies. That's about as southern as it gets, and don't even try comparing that to fish'n'chips.

Though I am not the biggest catfish lover alive, that is an incredible meal. Tell me you fired up some taters, made some slaw, maybe some beans just for kicks, and I can get with that in a heartbeat!

Over the weekend I made up a meat loaf, cream corn, and fried apples. God I love Southern cooking!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
ClaireBear said:
Bloomin eck! Its a... its a fricking drop scone!!!!!! We got those! And yes you have it with your main meal.... :D :D :D

Drop scones are northern though... Lopan probably won't know what one is!

Is this thing you speak of fried or baked?