Feeling strange...

abooja

ClaireBear said:
Bloomin eck! Its a... its a fricking drop scone!!!!!! We got those! And yes you have it with your main meal.... :D :D :D

Drop scones are northern though... Lopan probably won't know what one is!
Nope. If I'm not mistaken, drop scones do not contain cornmeal and are little more than a biscuit -- in American terms, of course.

ClaireBear

Banned
abooja said:
Nope. If I'm not mistaken, drop scones do not contain cornmeal and are little more than a biscuit -- in American terms, of course.

Not the way my nanna makes them? :shrug:

'Less she does em wrong! :D

Lopan

ClaireBear said:
Drop scones are northern though... Lopan probably won't know what one is!

I know what a drop scone is, we went to work as red cross volunteers when I was at school. We often travelled to Northern slums like Middlesborough, Doncaster and Newcastle.

We couldn't understand the little urchins and we certainly didn't want them touching us. But we handed out "stottie" and "drop scones" to their eager dirty little mits.

Terrible scenes of degradation though.

Byker circa last week

scan015lg.jpg

ClaireBear

Banned
Lopan said:
I know what a drop scone is, we went to work as red cross volunteers when I was at school. We often travelled to Northern slums like Middlesborough, Doncaster and Newcastle.

We couldn't understand the little urchins and we certainly didn't want them touching us. But we handed out "stottie" and "drop scones" to their eager dirty little mits.

Terrible scenes of degradation though.

Byker circa last week

scan015lg.jpg

Dave... you are a bastard! :rofl: :rofl:

Where is it that the majority of you family... your siblings... now live?

Byker is an area in Newcastle... for those having difficulty getting the joke!

HomeLAN

SouthernN'Proud said:
Though I am not the biggest catfish lover alive, that is an incredible meal. Tell me you fired up some taters, made some slaw, maybe some beans just for kicks, and I can get with that in a heartbeat!

Over the weekend I made up a meat loaf, cream corn, and fried apples. God I love Southern cooking!

No other fixings, no time. It was heart attack on a plate, but it was damn tasty.

Fried apples. Mmmmmmmm....

ClaireBear

Banned
HomeLAN said:
No other fixings, no time. It was heart attack on a plate, but it was damn tasty.

Fried apples. Mmmmmmmm....

Would the meatloaf be pork based cos the apple with that would be rather good.... *drool*

*CB decides NEVER to travel to the southern states... she likes to still be able to sit in a seat made for one not two!*

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
It was heart attack on a plate, but it was damn tasty.

All good Southern cooking is heart attack on a plate. :lloyd:

Amazingly, my grandparents ate like this every day of their lives.

Sausage and gravy with fresh biscuits every morning.

A dinner of fried chicken or such with beans cooked in lard, fried skillet corn, garden vegetables, and cornbread.

Supper was usually whatever was left from earlier in the day reheated.

EVERYTHING was cooked in grease or lard. These people lived 80+ years. Of course, they balanced all that with hard work all day from sun up to dark, without modern convenmiences to make it easier. Must be some value in it, huh?

HomeLAN

My wife's great-aunt has eaten like this for the past 98 years. Smokes, too. Still going strong.

I'll let SnP do the fried apples. He obviously has a method.

unclehobart

I've done baked apples... but never fried.

Baked is just cored and sliced granny smiths with butter, sugar, and cinnamon baked down for a bit.

yum.

ClaireBear

Banned
unclehobart said:

Baked is just cored and sliced granny smiths with butter, sugar, and cinnamon baked down for a bit.

yum.

Pop a bit custard on there and... who needs sex!!!!!? :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:

yum.
I've done baked, and pretty much everything else I've come across with apples in. Fried maybe provides that veinclogging factor that's subtly missing from the rest. Definitely worth a shot if I can pull it off.

ClaireBear

Banned
Its happened again... all my originally whiney, whingey threads either make me laugh or make me think of food after a while! :D :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Our method, handed down from my grandmother, refined by myself and perfected by me loving spouse...

In season, we get Granny Smith or other slightly tart apples, wash, quarter, and core them, then freeze them until needed.

Take bag out of freezer and allow to thaw until you can get them separated in clusters. Not necessary to completely thaw them.

Remove as much of the ice as you can.

Place in skillet on stove top. Add (to taste...it'll take some experimentation as the tartness of the apples varies) approx. 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar, a liberal sprinkling of cinnamon, and gradually add flour to thicken the sauce to desired texture. We like 'em fairly sticky.

Cook over medium to med-low heat, stirring occasionally, approx. 20 minutes or until tender.

(Spouse's biggest improvement...) Add pecan pieces to taste. We like nuts, so we add maybe a handful. Stir in until evenly blended.

Remove from heat and get out of the way...stampede to ensue.

They reheat very well in a microwave or on stovetop as well. I recommend them with a variety of main courses, including fried chicken, pork chops (great side for chops), meat loaf, most anything.

What you add will vary according to how sour you want your apples. We want just a hint of tartness left, so you might want to start with less sugar.

Another idea is to cook them as above, and make them into turnovers. Biscuit dough will work fine. Simply cook the apples, then place enough inside half a spread turnover to fill, fold over, and bake or pan fry them. Delicious. Makes good filling for pies as well with less sugar.

Lemme know if you try it, and your opinion of them. Should AllEars stumble into this thread, she might have a better idea of how much of what to add. She has been dubbed the official fried apple maker in casa del SnP.