Gay prom date banned

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
From CP24

In order to get a prom date, Marc Hall has a court date. The gay Oshawa teen has taken his fight to have his boyfriend accompany him to a dance to the Ontario Superior Court in Whitby. The Durham Catholic School Board has already vetoed the idea, claiming it’s against the homosexual lifestyle.

It's gone to court today. The Catholic school boards are publicly funded here in Ontario.

What do you think? Should he be allowed to bring his date?

greenfreak

What does this kid expect with a Catholic school board for God's sake?! (pun intended ;) ) The quote is actually wrong too. If he didn't take his boyfriend to the prom, that would be against the homosexual lifestyle. ;)

I've already voiced my opinion on homosexuality elsewhere... I see nothing wrong with it. Flame me if you will, but seeing as I don't think it's morally wrong, I don't see a problem with him bringing his boyfriend to the prom.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Publically funded, or not, this kid KNEW the rules before he tried, and KNOWS the stand the Catholic Church has on homosexuality. He has a right to bring his date to anyplace he wants by the law, but, my personal opinion is that he's just trying to get publicity, and his 15 minutes of fame...which he'll get whether he wins his case or not. Just another attempt to shove his sexuality in other peoples faces.

unclehobart

If the school took federal money, the school becomes a slavehold to the rules and guidelines of the government as well as provincial standards. If the government or province has no clear cut guidelines as to the legality of such a thing, the decision reverts to the school. If the government says its ok and the school digs in its heels they would be subject to mass fines and loss of said fed monies. Its just a varaint of dancing with the devil.

To me the teen in question is doing it as a political statement. He could have just brought his boy toy along as a friend and nothing much would have come of it. He probably announced it as a gay date knowing full well that it would be splashed across the headlines. Motive? unknown.

unclehobart

From what I've been seeing in the papaers lately, it looks as if a rather sizable chunk of the catholic church is going to burn in hell as well.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Originally posted by unclehobart
From what I've been seeing in the papaers lately, it looks as if a rather sizable chunk of the catholic church is going to burn in hell as well.
:thumbup: :rofl2:

Gato_Solo

Only about 5% of active priests, with active being the operative word. Most of whats being bandied about now is media hype. :mad:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You forgot about all of the higher ups and peers who knew about this and withheld it, shuffling them to other parishes to create more trauma. They have "sinned" themselves.

lorrimar

even if the kid is doing it just for his 15 mins of fame i still believe that it's something that needs to be done. homosexual people should have the same rights that anyone else has, they should not be discriminated against just b/c what they do makes the people that make the rules uncomfortable. & as far as the homosexuals will burn in the eternal fire of hell, when precisely did god come down & tell you that? did you get a fax or a memo? cause i didn't. let me go ahead & give the standard response to that the bible says so. not correct, your religion's interpretation of the bible says that. there is no way for you to know if that interpretation is correct or not, so why do you get to smash other people over the head with it? where you there when it was originally penned? nope, didn't think so. i have known homosexual people that would give you their last dollar if it would help you out & good christians that would steal the shirt off your back if you happened to look away for a moment. the whole point of this rant is this: NO ONE has the right to judge any other person or to tell them how to live their life. & doesn't the bible say that god loves EVERYONE? not just white upper-class hetrosexuals. also you might want to remember the golden rule that jesus imparted to us do un to others as you would have them do un to you. so you might want to think next time you start condemning people b/c you wouldn't like it very much if someone came up to you on the street & said that you were going to burn in hell just b/c you don't look a certain way or act a certain way.

unclehobart

Your argument is flawed by the use of the word think. Its a concept that is rarely used these days.

btw- stop holding back. Tell us how you really feel. :)

lorrimar

yeah, i know. i really kinda let loose. but when people say stuff like that it really just tweaks me the wrong way.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I see this along the same venue of homesexual marriages. The state has no right nor authority to stop them, The church on the other has all the rights to do so. If that school took federal dollars, at least in the US, they have become a publically funded institution & must act accordingly. If they didn't they are a private, religious institution with all the rights accorded. Which translates to; if you want federal tax dollars, do as the government insists, if not, do whatever isn't illegal.

lorrimar-look up leviticus 18-20

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

not my words

Gato_Solo

Geez...where can I start? As I've stated earlier, and on other message boards, what a person does to, or with, themselves is none of my business until they MAKE it my business. The kid in the topic has a right to bring his boyfriend to the prom. He does not have the right to disrupt society by doing so. When I went to my high school prom, my date and I were the only ones of my race there. I didn't scream at the top of my lungs when I entered the dayum place...and, yes, I was uncomfortable at times, but I persevered with charm and wit (I used to have those), and didn't have to resort to confrontation to get my point across. Why does he feel the ned?

lorrimar

lorrimar-look up leviticus 18-20

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not my words

very true, however what about everything in leviticus 4? all the rules that a priest must follow when atoning for sins?

3 if the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.
4 And he shall bring the bullock unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD; and shall lay his hand upon the bullock's head, and kill the bullock before the LORD.

when are all these priests going to start dragging bulls up to church so that they can begin the sacrificing? that's the problem, we follow the rules that we want to & the ones that we think make sense & then just throw out the other ones, or even worse twist them around as we see fit. who decided to keep leviticus 18-20, but not leviticus 4 3-4. but i suppose that's just my oppinion & i could be wrong.

sbcanada

I don't hate homosexuals, I hate homosexuality. It is sin. I don't care if that guy takes his boyfriend to the prom; he'll probably win the court case, but then the school would cancel the prom because it is a Catholic school and they frown upon homosexuality.

greenfreak

Originally posted by unclehobart

:laugh:

Originally posted by Gato_Solo
Only about 5% of active priests, with active being the operative word.

That we know of. :eek: