God, I love this heatsink!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK, maybe just a little bit... i've already arrived nuts, been an outstanding member for quite a long time... and outsitting member too!

:retard6:

I really am an idiot when it comes to complicated hardware mods like this though. The most radical hardware mod I've ever done was pencil in the L1 bridges on my Duron. :tardbang:

this is easier! you don't need any special tools, tape and strippin pliers and you're done lol.

Attachments

• simplifed.jpg
    simplifed.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 51

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It really is that easy, fury. Believe me, it will be pretty damn hard for you to fuck it up.

Professur

That said, you'd better break out the KY.

Here's the idiot's version, Fluffy.

UNPLUG THE POWER SUPPLY
Cut the connectors off of one power lead, and the fan.
This will give you 4 wires from the power supply. One yellow, one red and 2 black.
You'll have two wires from the fan. One red and one black.
With me so far?

Take all the wires from the fan and remove 1/4" of insulation from the ends.
Take the two coloured wires from the power supply (that's the two wires that aren't black) and strip 1/4" of insulation from the ends.

Check list. From the fan you now have 2 wires, with bare ends. From the powersupply, you have 2 wires with bare ends. Ok so far?

Take the two black wires from the power supply and wrap the ends in electrical tape. Bend them out of the way, you don't touch them again.

Take the red wire from the fan and the yellow wire from the power supply and twist the bare ends together. Wrap the bare wire in electrical tape. Tug on it to make sure it won't come apart.

Still with me?

Take the black wire from the fan and the red wire from the powersupply and twist them together. Wrap the bare wire in electrical tape. Tug on it to make sure it won't come apart.

And you're done.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all :beerbang:

I unplugged the PSU, took off the fan, and took a small nail and released the latches on the connectors, and swapped out the black one and put it in the rightmost hole, then left the remaining ground and the red connector from the PSU extender on the fan cord hanging out (they're not connected to anything so it's not like they're a shock hazard, right? :retard: ) in case I decide to use them again.

Anyways, I plugged it onto the fan chain I had going, and I didn't realize that the beginning of the fan chain was not even plugged in until I turned the computer on. :tardbang:

So then I shut the computer off (didn't even smell burning, heatsink wasn't hot or anything like that), and plugged the fans into the correct plug, and turned it on.

SWEET BEAUTIFUL SILENCE!@# :beerbang:

Well, almost. Before, it sounded like 2 vacuum cleaners. Now it sounds like about 3/4 to a whole vacuum cleaner. But it's a shitload quieter than before. Dropped about a thousand RPMs and found my hard drive's clickety click sound again. :beerbang:

Currently at 56 degrees at 1.53 ghz...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah.

From what I hear, even what I got at full speed (52) is quite high. But I checked the heatsink and it's on tighter than a nun's hootchie, the grease spread out perfectly, the only thing I noticed is that the fins part is tilted down a bit while the base is straight. I guess it could be a design flaw, but it worried me a bit until I checked the alignment of the base.

PT

That is still a tad high, but if it's stable, I think that's the most important part. The only problem I had with the 7v mod was that my sensor for fan speed doesn't work anymore, I still have the plug plugged in, but it just shows 0. Guess it needs the power to work or something. :shrug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My RPM monitor is erratic. It jumps between 0 and 2300 and 5000 and 160000. I think 5000 is the most accurate though. The whine it's producing is similar to the one my 60mm Globalwin fan made, which was, I think, a 5000 rpm fan.

One thing that I'm a bit confused over, most of the air flow is bouncing off the motherboard and coming back around (a lot less than before, but still most), which the fan sucks back up again. How do I get it to go out of the way (e.g. out of the case) instead of bouncing back?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
What if it's bigger than the fan?

OH, I know... would cardboard work? I got plenty of that. :beerbang:

PT

Cardboard works fine, used it myself once. Posterboard is better, IMO

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but before I use duct tape on my dryer-vent-size ducting, I have to have something that can be modified to fit so that I can use the duct. That stuff's like 92mm, I think. If I even still have it.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
All you need to fabricate is a box tall enough to accomodate the 92mm duct. You can even run multiple ducts ...(from each side)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
nice pic squiggy, we're gonna have to get you and justin in a art contest :D
i really want to 7v mod the ghetto rigged case fan cooling my gateway but i also don't want to shut it down....goes looking for temporary fan