Gonz? SnP? Maj? TRL?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
I put 3 cleaned peppers (meaning no seeds or no white membranes) and that was enough to heat up the whole pot.

Ya know, I thought later about this thread when I realized you wrote that.

3? THREE?!?!?! We add 3 to the crock pot to flavor the beef as it's tenderizing. I thought you said it was hot :D

AllEars'

The potato thing will also work if you put a peeled one in while cooking beans it takes the gas out of them. Just don't let anyone eat the potato it is said to be deadly.

tonksy

Gonz said:
Ya know, I thought later about this thread when I realized you wrote that.

3? THREE?!?!?! We add 3 to the crock pot to flavor the beef as it's tenderizing. I thought you said it was hot :D
That's why I was so surprised! I added the 3 with the meat, onions, and garlic when I browned the meat. That's normal, right? No biggie. My hands were burning all day too...must be the soil out there.
For the record, adding the beans did take a good chunk of heat out, the chili was yum, and the kids ate rice and spam.

TexasRaceLady

Sorry I'm so slow on the uptake, tonks. The hubby was in the hospital and I'm just catching up.

Like most, I've never really had to take out the heat --- LOL

Hope it was very, very good.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
My hands were burning all day too...

Rubber gloves. One time of rubbing my eyes after handling peppers, hours later, was enough for me.

Peppers heat is a direct result of the environment. Water them more, they aren't as hot. Ignore them & allow them to suffer & you will also. Of course, if they're a hybrid, that'll change the baseline intensity too.

tonksy

Ah! That explains that! We've had a very dry year.
I can't operate with rubber gloves, can't get a feel for what I'm doing. I hate gloves.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
I hate 'em too. I hate the feeling of nuclear eye worse :D

Wimp. Just wash your hands thouroughly (three times at least), and you won't have that problem.

As another chili-head, I've got my own story about peppers...

I was flying from Panama to Dover AFB, and was bringing back some small peppers in a plastic bag. In order to keep them ready for Customs...just in case they said no...I had them in my pants pocket. Sometime during my in-flight nap, the bag got a tear. I didn't realize it at the time, of course, but, about 15 minutes after I woke up, I had a slight burning sensation on my right leg. I made it through customs, with my Custom cleared goodies, but, by that time, the slight burning was turning rather quickly to the intense variety. That was also the last time I carried fresh peppers in my pocket.

The offending fruit...

TexasRaceLady

tonksy said:
TRL- I hope the hubby is feeling better, sorry to hear about the hospitalization.

He is fine, tonks. Had a severe sleep apnea episode that left him gasping for breath and with sky-high blood pressure. The doc just kept him for a 24 hour observation to make sure.

He's back to his normal hard-working self.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Wimp. Just wash your hands thouroughly (three times at least), and you won't have that problem.

The offending fruit...

Try damn near 24 hours. Washing them in degreaser won't take the oils out of your skin if you cut enough (canning). There may be unknown to me ways but I've yet to find 'em.

Serranos?