Good idea, or angry backlash?

Should the rescued pay for their rescue?

• Yes. If you can't afford the risk, don't do the activity.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • That's what insurance is for. Make them get it before they trek.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • At least half. Not everyone is equipped to handle any outcome.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No. Thats what taxes are for.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I grew up in the Sonoran desert...snakes, coyotes, snakes, javelina, snakes, illegals...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
All I asked was, what's wrong with a sidearm on a hike? to which I never got an answer.

BB

shit, not only am i a bitch .. i'm a wuss's bitch??? :D

- man the electricity just gone down in the whole office complex - i got to get a v/o sent over and edited and mastered for a client at the airport for 1030am tommorow -

in french!

yes, i'm buggered!

If i had the project on a laptop it'd be ok - or even an external harddrive - mmm -

actually - it might be possoble-

wonder if i have a version backed up on a firewire drive?

better go skeddadle and check that option - have edit laptop, have dvd backup?

ok - there's some ideas - redigitise it?

in the words of the immortal hong kong fooey -

maybe!

see you all folx!

it's a bit of a long shot ...but!

happy hiking! :D

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
All I asked was, what's wrong with a sidearm on a hike? to which I never got an answer.

It should be obvious, but then, look who I'm talking with...

You are going on a ten mile hike in the woods. Ideally you will not encounter another human being. Humans are roughly 7000 times more dangerous than anything else you might happen across. And you want a Ruger?

Wuss.

BB

Got any pics of the alpachian (sp?) mountain walks there SnP?

- where do you stand on great groups of 'ramblers' btw?

( :D - btw - that's not a trick question about tooling up! ;) )

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
No pics at hand. I am gadget challenged, so I have no idea how to get images off our digitalisticalized camera thingamabob doohickey whatsit. That's why we haven't posted photos of the new crib yet. Soon...

The Appalachian Trail runs along the crest of the mountain across the road though. There are about 8 spur trails right around the house that will lead to it if one is brave/foolish enough to try them without asking first. I also hike some of the US Forestry Service roads that run about the mountains as well as established trails. Depends on my mood and my health status at the time.

Define ramblers. I think I know what you mean but would rather be sure before I answer.

BB

Ah well, job done.
Made it to the client with a whole 6.5 mins to spare....

Cool and dapper i confidently strode up with the master dvd
- french version.

The effect may have been somewhat lessened by the fact i looked like wolverine after a heavy night or three in the wilderness, but never mind ;)

Just 2 more clients out of 4 this morning to sort out and i am off for a long hot bath.

Rambling associations here tend to herd together in noisy groups of 25-40 'ramblers' who stampede across otherwise beautiful and peaceful landscapes, in lurid colours and attire... without the common decency to be either invisible or noiseless.

They have every right, and i am more lenient than some, but i prefer to walk without ramblers leaping out from behind rocks and rampaging in great swathes across the fells -

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Ah. Now I understand.

I am frankly amazed how lazy people are around here. We have some hikers, but nowhere near as many as one might imagine. Most days I can manage to get my choice of trails to myself, or with no more than 2-3 encounters with two-legged nuisances. To be fair, most are quiet, respectful, and in small groups of four or less.

There is a "hiking club" here. I checked it out online, and discovered it was a group of 20-50 adults, median age appeared to be about 50, who meet about every three weeks and hike a moderate distance after a "breakfast meeting". I can only imagine. Needless to say, I passed. I still have their homepage saved though, so I can make sure I steer clear of where they plan to be.

What makes my blood boil is litter on the trails. There is zero excuse for it. I always take an empty grocery bag, and I almost always pack out more than I pack in picking up beer cans, food wrappers, and I don't even want to think about what all else. One time I would like to catch some dolt in the act. Just one F'ing time...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I used to like to hike. Then I moved to Indiana.

cornfield.jpg

MrBishop

What makes my blood boil is litter on the trails. There is zero excuse for it. I always take an empty grocery bag, and I almost always pack out more than I pack in picking up beer cans, food wrappers, and I don't even want to think about what all else. One time I would like to catch some dolt in the act. Just one F'ing time...
That Ruger'd come in handy then, eh ;)

Inkara1

But then that's one more piece of trash he'd have to carry out of there... it's better to leave it with its ability to walk out of there under its own power.

BB

ok ..so no gun, right?

A knife?

mmm .... a hamstring job?

"You drop that Pal? ... hell, YOU drop it! ... Sunny-Jim. "

you can go crawl yer ass outta here!

Happy hiking! :D

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
you hike in a safe area, people know where you are, freak snowstorm, you get rescued, free of charge.

you go where they say "danger!" "do not hike" "bad conditions" you pay for your rescue.

Accidents happen, going where they say do not go, is no accident.

a book I read, sci-fi people work for what they need, not money mountain climbers etc. pay more to cover the chance they may need a rescue.

as for littering, you carry out what you take in, when I was in the rockies, I walked out with all my trash, even cigarette butts.

BB

who's "they" though?

Where do you draw the line between freedom and a 1984-like litigation Big brother / nanny state fascism?

Where is the line between the natural common sense to be a human being and to have the intelligence and pride and self respect, both for yourself and for others, that should be cherished, not attacked - a mix between responsibility and real freedom?

and where is the line drawn on regulation, balance, sustaining law and order in a reality where intelligence, and responsibility and self worth are not, sadly, universal givens?

Do we now take that balance so far into every realm of life that there can be and never will be anymore any freedom, nor hope of freedom as we currently know it, nor aspect of our lives not open to regulation nor law, nor litigation?

Must our children not be allowed to walk in the valleys, or the coastal paths, or in the hills or on the fells or the lakesides because of restrictive cost or over-protective fear?

Is that it?

The ability to wander out into the country, to experience quiet and nature, to go walking and to breathe fresh air -

you wish to ban this, to regulate it? To make it only a privelged niche for the rich and for those that can afford the Insurance or the helicopter / rescue back-up teams?

Anyone that votes 'aye' here, had better not say one goddamn word about 'PC' to me here -

Time to grow up and stand up! - and learn you cannot have it each and every way at the same time-

If you vote for ever increasing regulation and control - do not argue elsewhere about either the increasing encroachment on us all, nor argue about political correctness gone mad -

if you vote yes to this - you are a very nasty part of the madness.

That's not personal - that's just the truth - this isn't a 'pick and mix'.

sheesh!