Good idea, or angry backlash?

Should the rescued pay for their rescue?

• Yes. If you can't afford the risk, don't do the activity.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • That's what insurance is for. Make them get it before they trek.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • At least half. Not everyone is equipped to handle any outcome.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No. Thats what taxes are for.

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
who's "they" though?

Where do you draw the line between freedom and a 1984-like litigation Big brother / nanny state fascism?

Where is the line between the natural common sense to be a human being and to have the intelligence and pride and self respect, both for yourself and for others, that should be cherished, not attacked - a mix between responsibility and real freedom?

and where is the line drawn on regulation, balance, sustaining law and order in a reality where intelligence, and responsibility and self worth are not, sadly, universal givens?

Do we now take that balance so far into every realm of life that there can be and never will be anymore any freedom, nor hope of freedom as we currently know it, nor aspect of our lives not open to regulation nor law, nor litigation?

Must our children not be allowed to walk in the valleys, or the coastal paths, or in the hills or on the fells or the lakesides because of restrictive cost or over-protective fear?

Is that it?

The ability to wander out into the country, to experience quiet and nature, to go walking and to breathe fresh air -

you wish to ban this, to regulate it? To make it only a privelged niche for the rich and for those that can afford the Insurance or the helicopter / rescue back-up teams?

Anyone that votes 'aye' here, had better not say one goddamn word about 'PC' to me here -

Time to grow up and stand up! - and learn you cannot have it each and every way at the same time-

If you vote for ever increasing regulation and control - do not argue elsewhere about either the increasing encroachment on us all, nor argue about political correctness gone mad -

if you vote yes to this - you are a very nasty part of the madness.

That's not personal - that's just the truth - this isn't a 'pick and mix'.

sheesh!

Never said you couldn't do what you like. Just that if you run into trouble, you should be prepared to pay for it. If you can't afford the rescue or the insurance, then don't participate in any activity that can kill you, or stick to areas where you know whats what. That statement is the same attitude that let people travel to Afghanistan under the Taliban. Travel to Lebanon. Hell...even travel to Iraq during the war. If you wish to be stupid then, by all means, be stupid. Just don't expect me to bail you out when your luck runs out. I know that there are some who will say that the scenarios I mentioned and a rescue of lost hikers isn't the same thing, but it is exactly the same. Whether you buy your piece of the farm through a fall off of a mountain, from drowning in a rip-tide, or from some yahoo who hates your nationality in his/her homeland, you still bought your piece of the farm. Your activity put somebody elses life in danger by doing so as well. Think carefully before you answer...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
This one can pay his own way

When I first heard about this, I naturally took interest as we live very close to the NC border.

I soon concluded, from various reports and stories, that this was a case of a spoiled little snot-nosed brat who wanted to get himself lost. I hoped I was wrong.

I don't think I was.

Take the little shit back to town, hand him a Harry Potter book and his precious cookies, and keep him out of the woods. Keep bribing and buying his way out of everything, Dad. He ain't cut out for Scouting. I doubt he's cut out for coming in out of the rain on his own. He managed to ruin the trip for everyone else out of selfishness, spoiled bullshit, and pettiness. I'd bust his ass for him, but we all know that won't happen...Dad's too busy trying to get him an extension on homework assignments.

Makes me wanna puke. City folk, stay in town where you belong. We don't come wander around your housing projects, so stay off our mountains if this is the best you can do.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Dad's too busy trying to get him an extension on homework assignments.

It has become astonishing how often this happens. What happened to parenting?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I mean, the little waste of DNA even had the nerve to whine because the dog that rescued his pampered ass ate his cracker.

This punk was found less than two miles from camp. Searchers afoot, helicopters, heat-seeking radar...and he couldn't be assed with hollerin, "Hey, I'm over here!" Yes, I know the story said he called out. I don't believe him. The lazy little fart stayed back on the hike to sleep...on a camping trip for the love of Cheez Whiz. That alone tells me about all I need to know.

I need to go, my blood is boiling.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Way to jump on a single line of text to crucify the father! :rolleyes:

Dad did nothing except make excuses for the little shit. He's a pampered brat who had no business on grass, much less a camping trip. Hell, he even tried to gyp Dad out of a fiver BEFORE THE TRIP EVEN STARTED.

Say what you like. I will. This kid's got more issues than Sports Illustrated, and Dad is enabling it.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Way to jump on a single line of text to crucify the father! :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you paid attention to what's happening in the general populace, you'd see this is, regrettably, commonplace.

He's making excuses for his son instead of teaching responsibility- REGARDLESS OF REASON. (example-you must file your taxes on or before April 15, or an extension request on or prior to 04/15 or you will pay a penalty-even if you're in the hospital.)

MrBishop

He's trying to introduce some normalcy into his son's life, not by taking away the assignment entirely, but by asking (not requiring) a delay because of events. The same kinda request that would be asked for in the case of a death in the family, personal illness or something as minor as a computer crash that took out the home computer. :shrug:

Hopefully the kid learned his lesson.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Bish, in all honesty, answer this question for me.

You, a parent, have just been informed that your child is missing in the mountains. A three-day manhunt has ensued. Finally, he is found. Uninjured. How fucking worried about a math assignment are you?

MrBishop

Not particularly - I put that statement to 'introduced color' on the part of the newsies. They got the father talking, kept asking questions...and eventually he said irrelevant things because he ran out of answers. :shrug:

My kid would get himself one hell of a hug, and a bigger punishment!

BB

all depends on the kid and the father and the media line.
:shrug:

I only briefly skimmed that report so can't really comment.

But fuck anyone else, let alone hacks - i'd just be pleased to see my son alive.

That, and not fathering my son into a spoiled brat, if such this kid is?

But responsible parenting isn't really the issue here is it?

God knows, if that was easily sortable- the world would be a better place -

Gato:
Think carefully before you answer...

Why would i need to do that?

(apart from breaking the habit of a lifetime? :D )

- If one has to think carefully about their thoughts and beleifs i'd suggest they do not know or trust them well enough.

One, might, perhaps, consider how one crafts them perchance - but if you need to think carefully to decide WHAT one thinks - then there is something wrong somewhere.

If you are not sure- say so - be honest! If you are- speak from the heart.

What's your problem with that?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Why would i need to do that?

(apart from breaking the habit of a lifetime? :D )

- If one has to think carefully about their thoughts and beleifs i'd suggest they do not know or trust them well enough.

One, might, perhaps, consider how one crafts them perchance - but if you need to think carefully to decide WHAT one thinks - then there is something wrong somewhere.

If you are not sure- say so - be honest! If you are- speak from the heart.

What's your problem with that?

To avoid a 'knee-jerk' response. Too many of those flying about in here...;)