Grammy Awards

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
abooja said:
I disagree with that. Junkies abound in the music industry.

not fat ugly junkies.

same goes for mama cass & a couple of dozen other RnR bands that were outstanding to listen too but very hard on th eeyes.

Lopan

This pretty much summed up the grammys for me. All the USA's good music is in England where you can still be ugly and have a music career.

THAT’S IT. I’ve had enough. First thing tomorrow morning, I’m going to pack up all of my 500 or so CDs — including the 492 of them with broken, splintered cases, and the other eight that refuse to play in my car stereo — and sell them to Amoeba Music, the second-hand record store on Sunset Boulevard.
I don’t ever want to see another piece of circular plastic in my life.

Yes, it’s that time of year again: the Grammy Awards. Now, my opinion of the Grammy Awards has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that they wouldn’t let me in this year. No, Sir. Or, for that matter, that I wasn’t invited to the legendary pre-Grammys party of Clive Davis, the founder of Arista Records. Absolutely not. I have no interest in free vodka martinis, sequined rock chicks, loud music and celebrities. Eew.

To put it in the mildest, most diplomatic terms, my problem with the Grammy Awards is that they are . . . well, crap. And I don’t just mean bad in a cheesy Brit Awards kind of way. They are crap in a veteran-Vegas- showman-plays-one-more- night-at-the-Bellagio kind of way. They are tedious, predictable and, unforgivably for a music awards ceremony, culturally irrelevant.

Before I switched the television off on Sunday night and went to bed (I wasn’t allowed in, you see), Alicia Keys and Jamie Foxx, an actor, were singing a tribute to Ray Charles, who won best album even though he’s dead. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Just don’t expect the kids to tune in. After the tribute, an award was given to someone called Prince, who my grandmother tells me was big in the Eighties. He didn’t even show up to collect it.

Let’s face it: there’s nothing cool about being a Grammy Award winner. Just ask Milli Vanilli, who won best new artist in 1989, shortly before that nasty incident with the lip-synching machine (the pop duo’s award was withdrawn). An Oscar still means something . . . just. A Grammy? It just means that several million old people bought your album from Starbucks because they got bored waiting for their triple skinny soy latte with vanilla.

Still don’t believe me? Consider the most important man in the music industry today: the aforementioned Clive Davis. How old do you think he is? He’s 71. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, either. But he is the man who signed Barry Manilow.

Part of the problem with the Grammys is its interminable format: 107 categories and counting. And let’s not forget the decisions: two years ago it gave nominations to Justin Timberlake and Evanescence while forgetting about The Strokes and The Rapture. The judges have as much taste as the people who came up with the McDonald’s salad menu.

The Grammys are just part of a wider malaise in America’s music establishment — the same establishment, you’ll remember, that fought so long against online music that Apple, a computer company, had to show them how to sell their own products. America’s radio stations, which play the same four market-tested songs on rotation, are partly to blame. Even MTV gave up playing music videos a long time ago because they don’t sell enough advertising. Hearing new music in America is almost impossible today, unless you live next door to a musician.

Yet if you talk to a middle-aged record company executive, he’ll complain about how rock’n’roll is corporate and stale, and how no one writes protest songs these days that fit with their liberal, BMW-driving, alimony-paying, John-Kerry bumper sticker view of the world.

These executives should go to England, where they’ll hear the best of America’s new bands, such as The Killers, all over the radio. (The Grammys’ judges gave The Killers a nomination, but ended up handing the award to an exciting group of youngsters called U2.)

They should also go to Baghdad, where some of America’s troops are coming up with the kind of freestyle hip-hop that makes gangsta rap lyrics sound like nursery rhymes. Some of these future rap stars, if they make it out alive, are featured in Michael Tucker’s brilliant documentary Gunner Palace.

There’s one other thing, of course, that could be done to make the Grammys a whole lot more exciting: they should let me in. I’ve always wanted to meet Clive Davis, after all. I’ve heard he’s a genius.

AT LEAST the Grammys are breaking some new ground: for the first time in history, the judges handed out gongs to Brian Wilson and, er, Rod Stewart.

Winky

Well I understand the two largest American exports
are weapons and entertainment, at least I know
our weapons are good!

Lopan

Winky said:
Well I understand the two largest American exports
are weapons and entertainment, at least I know
our weapons are good!

Yes I believe many people in South America and the Middle east will testify to the effectiveness of American weapons. Do you take posthumous statements?

Winky

Sure we'll use them on a commercial!

Hi I’m Imad Hamad a former
Iraqi insurgent homicide bomber
and I was killed by only the finest
American Defense Technology
before I could blow up innocent
Iraqi citizens!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Lopan said:
"Homicidal" Hamad says:

Buy American, theres no other way to die

Not if you're waiting on, say, the UN to do anything there isn't. And they damn well know it.

Back to music...I agree with the article. The Grammys are more political than the DNC and RNC put together.

It is nice to know that up and coming artists have a place to showcase their talent. Too bad for me it has to be in the UK, but at least they have a place.

Anyone who tries to tell me that U2 had the best rock album of ANY year better hunker down and get ready for their ass whoopin'.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
[SnP whoopin Claire's ass] Take THAT..and THAT...and THAT...and please somebody tell me what kind of mother names her son The Edge?...And take THAT...[/SnP ass whoopin]

ClaireBear

Banned
SouthernN'Proud said:
[SnP whoopin Claire's ass] Take THAT..and THAT...and THAT...and please somebody tell me what kind of mother names her son The Edge?...And take THAT...[/SnP ass whoopin]

Ooooh! Yeah baby yeah!

Here try this... :whip:

Lopan

SouthernN'Proud said:
Not if you're waiting on, say, the UN to do anything there isn't. And they damn well know it.

Back to music...I agree with the article. The Grammys are more political than the DNC and RNC put together.

It is nice to know that up and coming artists have a place to showcase their talent. Too bad for me it has to be in the UK, but at least they have a place.

Anyone who tries to tell me that U2 had the best rock album of ANY year better hunker down and get ready for their ass whoopin'.

Not a problem go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/index.shtml?logo and fill your boots you can listen to any of the shows. Zane low has the best new music show.

abooja

An Oscar still means something? Like any other self-congratulatory awards show, the Oscars are even more numbingly insular than the Grammys. The only thing an Oscar ensures is more money the next time around for its winner.

CTM

people have a way of listening to crappy music. . . until they grow up.

when you're 15, you have no idea that fred durst sucks. over the next 10 years, the contining development of the human brain helps things along. Not everyone is cured, but that would be asking too much.