Guardasil

Professur

Wow this has turned into one enlightening thread, hasn't it?

Nix ... no, I've no intention of getting it for V2.0 without the benefit of at least another decade of studies proving that the cure isn't worse than the disease. And at that point, it'll be her choice, not mine.

As for a vaccine for prostate cancer ... nope.
Testical cancer.... nope
Aids .... nope.

unclehobart

I don't recall if it has been touched on here, but I think Texas has already made the vaccine mandatory and other states are thinking of doing so as well. It was a bit of a stink since it is basically an exclusive contract to mint money for the pharmco that invented the stuff... a pharmco with strong ties to the Bush admin. Some are seeing it as a less than quiet way of lining some pockets.

Professur

Sex cancer jab ok for girls of 12

By JACQUI THORNTON
Health Editor
June 21, 2007

CONTROVERSIAL plans to give girls of 12 and 13 a cervical cancer jab were confirmed by the Government yesterday.

A vaccination programme, which will save thousands of lives, will begin in the autumn of next year.

The Department of Health said it will help cut cases of the cancer — caused by a sexually-transmitted virus — by 70 per cent.

Some experts advocate giving it to girls as young as NINE — and say boys should also get the jab to wipe out the disease. Doctors agree girls would have to have it BEFORE they start having sex to ensure maximum benefit.

But some campaigners and religious groups claim the vaccine could encourage girls to have unprotected sex.

The vaccination programme will cost the NHS £180 per jab. It was developed after experts found 99 per cent of cervical cancers are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV).

Health Minister Caroline Flint said: “We intend, in principle, to introduce an HPV vaccine into the national immunisation programme. The benefits . . . will be felt by women and their families for generations.

“This vaccine will prevent many women from catching the HPV virus in the first place, potentially saving hundreds of lives.”

Dr David Elliman, of the Great Ormond Street children’s hospital, said it will be “some time” before the rate of the cancer starts to fall because the disease affects women, not girls.

It is the second most common cancer in women worldwide, with over 2,000 new cases in Britain each year.

[email protected]

Source

BlurOfSerenity

it's funny that article says girls might be encouraged to have unprotected sex, since even protected sex could still give you hpv

FluerVanderloo

it's funny that article says girls might be encouraged to have unprotected sex, since even protected sex could still give you hpv

Touche.

I think it's common knowledge amongst many regulars here that I'm far from being a "slut" but I still got the vaccine. At first I tossed the idea around, wondering if I really do need it because of my conservative sexual habits.

It later dawned on me that my boyfriend (and only guy I have been with) wasn't a virgin when we started seeing each other, and though it was one incident, I didn't want to take any chances.

Also, there's a history of cancer in my family and I want to do what I can to keep myself from being added to that list.

Plus, my insurance covered it. May as well. :shrug: