Had to work on my jeep today

Kruz

So. I;m getting ready for work this morning and Cindy hands me the jeep keys, saying that sometimes the A/C doesn't work .. and could I check it out for her.
well I diagnose it and find that the "blend door" is sticking. (Very common problem with 99-04 Grand Cherokee's).
and very expensive if it's out of warranty.
mine is still under the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty so I got a new HVAC box and installed it..
The pics show why this is such a pain to do..:D

Professur

That's what? About a 20 minute job for a fully equipped pro like you?

Kruz ... hate to ask, but I'm looking to replace the van. What's your call in the 2002-2004 sets for a low maintenance car? I've got my eye on a 2004 Impala.

Kruz

well I started on it after lunch, finished it by 3. sent it down to detail for a spitshine, and drove home at 4.:bgpimp:

as far as Vehicles go, I've been out of the loop for a few years since working at the dealership. I haven't kept up with other brands..
the Impala would be a good choice, they still use the tried and true drive train.
The LX platform (300/Magnum) with the 3.5 v6 might be right up your alley.

Inkara1

The thing with the Impala is that it's still a front-drive car with a pushrod V6. It won't be as hard to get to the back plugs as in the van, but it won't be a cakewalk either. But it'll probably get better mileage, and if it's as comfortable for you and the Missus to drive as the van was, that would probably be the way to go.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
The thing with the Impala is that it's still a front-drive car with a pushrod V6. It won't be as hard to get to the back plugs as in the van, but it won't be a cakewalk either. But it'll probably get better mileage, and if it's as comfortable for you and the Missus to drive as the van was, that would probably be the way to go.
Holy non sequitur, Batman.

Professur

y'see, the kicker is that. I'd buy another Montana tomorrow, if it weren't for the engine placement. The new Montana SV6 has a longer hood, and you can actually get at the back of the engine now. But they only started production of that in mid 2005, which places the price in the $18.5k range. And I'd like to save some on the milage, but.

It's the missus' daily driver. She's gonna be carrying V2.0 and V3.0 to and from school every morning. V4.0, of course, will be along for the ride. From time to time, I'll be along with them, so the back seat needs to be big enough for the two carseats, and V2.0's butt. Anyone threatened with riding int he back seat of Unc's Lexus knows where that conversation takes you. And once in a while, we might jsut have Mum along for the ride, so .

I need to seat 4 in comfort, 5 without complaints, and 6 in a pinch .... and I'd like a bit better milage (at least not worse) and the ability to work on it myself. Enough power to get a non-agressive driver up to speed on the highways, but no so much as it's gonna cripple me at the pumps. And I need to bring it in under $15k Canadian.

I'm open to suggestions.

Kruz

Just as I was thinking about replacing the tires on the Jeep, These Came in.
They are "Take-off's" from a 06 Grand Cherokee. with about 1,500 miles on them.
I snatched 'em up for $250 bucks and will be putting them on next week.
The tires on the jeep are p225\75\16
The new ones are P245\65\17. it will be a nice upgrade for the truck :beardbng:

Altron

Professur said:
y'see, the kicker is that. I'd buy another Montana tomorrow, if it weren't for the engine placement. The new Montana SV6 has a longer hood, and you can actually get at the back of the engine now. But they only started production of that in mid 2005, which places the price in the $18.5k range. And I'd like to save some on the milage, but.
You've said yourself that there would be no problem fitting a 502 in. Hell, the thing used to be available with a 455 from the dealer.

It's the missus' daily driver. She's gonna be carrying V2.0 and V3.0 to and from school every morning. V4.0, of course, will be along for the ride. From time to time, I'll be along with them, so the back seat needs to be big enough for the two carseats, and V2.0's butt. Anyone threatened with riding int he back seat of Unc's Lexus knows where that conversation takes you. And once in a while, we might jsut have Mum along for the ride, so .
7 passengers no problem, 8th can be kinda tricky because the front middle seat is small and whoever sits there gets elbowed by the driver a lot.

I need to seat 4 in comfort, 5 without complaints, and 6 in a pinch .... and I'd like a bit better milage (at least not worse) and the ability to work on it myself. Enough power to get a non-agressive driver up to speed on the highways, but no so much as it's gonna cripple me at the pumps. And I need to bring it in under $15k Canadian.

I'm open to suggestions.

I dunno what the exchange rate is, but $1500-1600 US has gotta be less than $15k canadian. I think that's like $2500 canadian, which leaves you $12.5k to spend on gas.

Acceleration isn't killer, but the transmissision actually lets you pick the gear, so you can always drop it into third for some extra power.

HPIM0989.jpg

It's you, Prof.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
I actually mentioned what I did because I knew it would be a condsideration. So it does, in fact, follow.
Sorry, it just completely went over my head. You're right, it does follow.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
You've said yourself that there would be no problem fitting a 502 in. Hell, the thing used to be available with a 455 from the dealer.

7 passengers no problem, 8th can be kinda tricky because the front middle seat is small and whoever sits there gets elbowed by the driver a lot.

I dunno what the exchange rate is, but $1500-1600 US has gotta be less than $15k canadian. I think that's like $2500 canadian, which leaves you $12.5k to spend on gas.

Acceleration isn't killer, but the transmissision actually lets you pick the gear, so you can always drop it into third for some extra power.

HPIM0989.jpg

It's you, Prof.

I believe he wants something a TAD newer than that. He wants to beable to work on it himself but I'm figuring he wants something new enough that he's not going to HAVE to work on it on a regular basis. Anyone who has 15k to spend on a car and goes and buys one for $1500 is whacked.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Prof left the Subaru way of life when he found that very few people could work on them.

See, I learn something new everyday.

Today I also learned how to remove "Safety" regulators on faucets...I also learned that safety regulators for faucets exist :shrug:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Are they to lower the pressure before the water enters the faucet?

No, they're the things on the faucets to regulate how much comes out (they actually result in an increased pressure)...the things that you can normally just screw off and on...the things with the little screeny mesh in them so the water doesn't come out in one big gush...but I didn't know there were "safety" ones. They use them in apartments so people can't take them off cause without them water comes out so fast and it wastes water, plus it doesn't have a streamlined spray

Inkara1

So you can't just use a pair of robo-grip pliers to take off the safety ones? I always thought that regulator was in part to streamline the spray and in part to hold back the little rocks that come through the water pipes.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
So you can't just use a pair of robo-grip pliers to take off the safety ones? I always thought that regulator was in part to streamline the spray and in part to hold back the little rocks that come through the water pipes.

Yes they are...and they don't want people taking them off cause then too much water is used...so they make them hard to get off. Yes you can get them off by squeezing them with pliars while you turn, I learned that today :p

It's not full proof it's just a deterant :p