What CPU is it
what is the default voltage?
If it's not overclocked it prolly should be
running like 1.45
High cpu core voltage will make it smokin' hot

WHAT cpu is it?

Raven

Annoying SOB
Heh....nah CPU runs idle at 1-2% load, I got your meaning ;)

CPU is AMD Athlon 2500+ XP (barton core) with a default voltage of 1.65 volts which is why I'm a little confused at the 1.88v that its registering in the BIOS :S

Raven

Annoying SOB
When I get some cash (i.e. when I don't owe the bank money and get my ass into a new job) I think I'm gonna have to get a new heatsink (using the AMD stock heatsink and fan that came with the CPU) and a couple of case fans.

I've knocked the cpu voltage down to 1.45....lessee if that affects it any....

HomeLAN

If that is the problem, replace that power supply now. If it's throwing bad voltages, god knows what it's doing to all the rest of your components.

Mirlyn

HomeLAN said:
If that is the problem, replace that power supply now. If it's throwing bad voltages, god knows what it's doing to all the rest of your components.
Could easily have caused the blown PCI slot.

One vote for the Zalman 6000-Cu. :D

Raven

Annoying SOB
Seems it's not the problem, knocking the voltage down has dropped the CPU and PSU temps to 35 degrees and 40 degrees respectively. However after following Posty's advice I can safely say its the GFX card. The error on the bluescreen was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and it threw up NV4_disp.dll as the driver causing it. Now seeing as I have tried multiple drivers with it, it would seem it's the card itself.

catocom

It can still be the PSU, not sending enough/too much voltage to the card slot.

The PSU doesn't sound good anyway, so I'd replace it first.
I just had to replace one on my nephews comp because of this.
Of coarse his was the 6600GT which requires the extra power connection.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-150-089&depa=1
but It had a decent power supply in it, it just wasn't enough.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-159-023&depa=1
So we just put a 500w in it, and cured the video problem.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-182-004&depa=1

HomeLAN

I'd swap the PSU first, BEFORE I sunk cash into a video card. Funky power supplies do weird shit, stuff that you'd think wasn't connected.

catocom

wow, that looks kinda crazy.
yeah you might want to look at other brands.
Coolmax, and Rosewill, seem to be decent.

I forgot you weren't in the US. I don't know who'd be the best supplier in your area. :confused:

Raven

Annoying SOB
Heh.....the best supplier would be my local (and Europes biggest) computer fair. Problem is it's all down to chance on what you are gonna find there PSU wise, most people just do generic 350w supplies so you really have to look for the good stuff. I'm confident I won't have to buy off the net again though.

Professur

Raven, smart choice would be to pick one, and have someone here buy it and have it send to you. No duty, and actual shipping cost without handling.