Help - PC keeps locking up/restarting

Winky

I got me a PSU recently that I've been simple ecstatic with:
Seasonic Super Tornado

This thing is awesome. It has a lead to monitor the 120mm fan speed. At idle the fan runs 760 rpm and at full load it only speeds up to 870 rpm. It is virtually silent.

The neatest thing is the Power Factor Correction feature. Without explaining phase angle and such just lemme tell ya, it really does save you money on your power bill.

Mirlyn

Raven said:
It was £56 before tax about £65 after tax and then £8 or so shipping and handling so that comes to about $150 or so after conversion.......I'm NOT buying from there again.

edit: Heres the site I bought it from the Antec TruePower 430
Wow.....all I've ever put in were Antec TruePowers. Only had one go bad, thanks to a bad fan connection shorting the +12v/+5v leads. Never tried the NeoPower stuff though.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Nice PSU Winky......has the input range switch too (with the difference in North American and UK power it's a must).....I might just get one.....

Winky

Oh yeah Dood that PSU is the sh*t!
if it's like 45 USD what would the shipping be from
Arizona to your Island nation? Can you get the same thing there as cheap?

But wait I believe we have determined that your problem is solved and there's no need to replace your PSU anyway, right?

Has the comp locked up since the voltage was reduced to the proper level?

catocom

the only thing is, is, it's only 300w.
Not much room for additional stuff, and it won't do for a higher end vid card,
like the 6600gt if you want to upgrade later. :alienhuh:

400w is about as low as I go anymore, and if it's for me, 500w. (with good amps on the + voltages)

Raven

Annoying SOB
Winky said:
Oh yeah Dood that PSU is the sh*t!
if it's like 45 USD what would the shipping be from
Arizona to your Island nation? Can you get the same thing there as cheap?

But wait I believe we have determined that your problem is solved and there's no need to replace your PSU anyway, right?

Has the comp locked up since the voltage was reduced to the proper level?
Yeah a few times but now here's a kicker: it restarted/locked up 3 times in the hour after I powered it on from cold but it hasn't done it since. It did the same thing yesterday, knocked the voltage down a few hangs/resets then as stable as a very stable thing.

Cat: Yeah I was looking at the 400w one myself and that does work out about $10-15 cheaper than I could get it over here.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm just now recalling that I had a random reboot thing going on way back when (sometimes every ten minutes, sometimes once in two days), and it was the PSU. At least...changing it out fixed the problem - for all I know it was loose wires or summat. :eyemouth:

Raven

Annoying SOB
Something else has started happening (dontcha just LOVE technomology ;))... if I turn my PC off and leave it for a while, then turn it back on....when I get back into windows my display settings are gone and the things in 8-bit colour at 640x480. Doesn't do that with a restart or quick power off though. I'm dead certain it's the card now but the PSU probably should be replaced too.