I am mourning the death

Inkara1

Whether it sounds better on vinyl or CD depends on the particular music. Vinyl has a particular warmth to it that CD can never hope to have, and good care of your records will keep the dust at bay, dust being the cause of all those clicks, pops, etc. that everyone associates with vinyl.

For example, I will only buy Nine Inch Nails on vinyl, even if it means having to mail-order it and wait a while for it to show up. Most older music also sounds better on vinyl, because that's what it was originally meant to go on.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Whether it sounds better on vinyl or CD depends on the particular music. Vinyl has a particular warmth to it that CD can never hope to have, and good care of your records will keep the dust at bay, dust being the cause of all those clicks, pops, etc. that everyone associates with vinyl.

For example, I will only buy Nine Inch Nails on vinyl, even if it means having to mail-order it and wait a while for it to show up. Most older music also sounds better on vinyl, because that's what it was originally meant to go on.

It's all in the mastering process. You can not master a recording and put it in vinyl and then put the same recording on a CD. When CDs were a new technology many studios applied their tricks to "sweeten vinyls" on CDs. The result was crappy CDs and great vinyl records, this lead to the coclusion that vinyl was superior and the idea remains today.

For instance, record a vinyl to your puter at 44.1kHz/16-bit stereo, and then record the CD. Listen to the results.

-------------------------------------------
To anyone interested in the debate.

The top 10 lies in audio (read lie number 3):
http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

On bad mastering of CDs:
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_big_squeeze/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(music)

Inkara1

So is that why Nine Inch Nails, which began putting out music well after the invention of the CD, sounds better on vinyl?

Luis G

Staff member
No that means that in the beginning CDs gave the impression of being inferior to vinyls. An idea that still remains alive to this day. The CD per se is far superior to vinyl (read lie #3 of my previous post).

However there can be reasons for the CD not sounding as "good" as the vinyl:
- Over compression.
- Clipping.
- Extremely crappy cd-player and good turntable.

Record the vinyl track to a CD using a good soundcard, PCM file format and set recording levels appropietly to avoid clipping.

When done, ask yourself if the vinyl still sounds better. The difference should be negligible, if any.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The inherent inferiority of digital music is, it clips "unneeded" info, saving space. While not a huge loss to the average listenter in the average car at 70MPH, it makes the digital quality less warm & it has far fewer tonal qualities. A sustained note carries farther, has more clarity & depth than one that has arificial limits. Most likely, that can be overcome, using digital technology, but you'd have 2 or 3 songs per CD, not 17.

[edit]Now I read Luis' last post

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Inkara1 said:
...of my 27" Toshiba TV, the one I bought in 2002.

Being in the process of moving, I brought up my bed and the TV today. When I brought in the TV, I set it on the couch, thinking it was far enough back. Then I left the room and heard a crash. The TV had rolled off the couch and landed upside-down on the floor.

When I plugged it in, the power light would come on but the tube wouldn't, and I couldn't turn it off without unplugging it.

So to console myself, I replaced it with this. I'd hoped to wait a little while to upgrade, but since the Toshiba quit working I needed something new, and if you ask me, at this point in time it's stupid to buy a big TV unless it's HD-ready now, given how soon we'll be HD-only, how much the price has come down and how long a TV is expected to last.

Now the crappy part is figuring out how to get rid of the old TV. I heard the local landfill will accept one per month per person... or maybe I'll just set it on the sidewalk and see if anyone takes it. :D

They didn't have this one?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Gonz said:
CDs/digital music may lose some quality but, get real, KISS & Judas Priest or Iggy Pop or RUN DMC are hardly finesse music with a need to seperate a chair 3 & chair 7 flute. The convenience of portability has outweighed most other needs.

Critical listening is critical listening regardless of what is being listened to. I defy anyone to listen to the guitar work on the song "Diary Of A Madman" at proper volume with adequate equipment and not be moved to chill bumps if not tears. The layering of sound on that track is a testament to what music is supposed to be about. Surround sound flattens it to the point of mush.

alex

Exactly why my receiver has different modes.....surround, concert, stadium, etc, etc, etc, ....and it switches automatically.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well and fine. But I can still out-tune any preset receiver ever devised. Sound is an art as well as a science. IMO, setting something to a pre-tune and going about one's business is akin to handing DaVinci a paint-by-number kit.

alex

Of course a preset isn't going to please all the people all the time. It's just a matter of what you consider acceptable.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
Dunno; I wasn't looking to go with a tube.

You would've saved a few bucks, and you wouldn't have to worry about "burn-in". Only 2 types of TV's are completely immune from such deviltry...Tube and DLP. ;)

Inkara1

I've never heard of an LCD burning in... but I have heard of tubes burning in, hence the invention of screen savers.

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
I've never heard of an LCD burning in... but I have heard of tubes burning in, hence the invention of screen savers.

Those were the early screens that burned in. Modern screens do not. Had to do with the phosphors used, and the persistence of their use. I read that LCD's burn in here and also here...but the views are conflicting in the second source. This is a third source, but it also talks about how to remove said 'burn in'.

Looks like I was wrong...Here is the list of most likely to least likely for burn-in. Looks like I'll have to talk the wife into that DLP I was looking at before I came to Baghdad. :grinyes:

chcr

Too cute for words
Hmm... I thought I'd read that burn in was a problem on plasma screens but not LCDs. Evidently I need to read some more...

Inkara1

I knew burn-in was a problem on plasmas, and that, along with size (the 32" is is big as will fit in the area) and price, is why I didn't go plasma. I've never seen burn-in on an LCD, even on the ones in drive-thrus that would show a lot of static images. My old Sony Trinitron 17" monitor from 1998 has burn-in on the bottom where the Windows task bar goes (that monitor is on my mom's computer now) and I'd think 1998 wouldn't really qualify as an "early screen."

The only thing I'd be worried about with an LCD is dead pixels.

Altron

Since just about all music is recorded in stereo, 7.1 seems kinda pointless to me. With movies, the emphasis is more on the picture than on the sound, so the improvement in movie sound that 7.1 offers is negligable considering the huge price increase. There's no reason to spend 3.5x as much on speakers AND a more expensive and lower quality reciever AND a subwoofer.

Luis G

Staff member
Altron said:
With movies, the emphasis is more on the picture than on the sound, so the improvement in movie sound that 7.1 offers is negligable

Are you comparing 7.1 with 5.1 or with stereo?