I am mourning the death

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
alex said:
SnP, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for a receiver without an equalizer. It's just not mainstream anymore. But you can add on an equalizer. I find it interesting that crutchfield only offers one model equalizer, but has several models of turntables. Notice how the've bundled turntables and cassette decks?

I do not settle. Not when my stereo is involved at least. :D

Pawn shop on every corner, always some hard up down on his luck sob story needing to bail his sister out of jail worse than he needs that stereo.

I'll investigate the links so courteously provided as time permits today. Thanks guys.

Winky

Sister

stereo

Sister

stereo

Stereo

sister

Stereo

aw jeez why does life always present these tough choices?

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
I do not settle. Not when my stereo is involved at least. :D

Pawn shop on every corner, always some hard up down on his luck sob story needing to bail his sister out of jail worse than he needs that stereo.

I'll investigate the links so courteously provided as time permits today. Thanks guys.

You're one of those dorks that upgraded to quadraphonic, aren't you?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I had what I wanted. It worked perfectly.

OK, I could have used a set of speakers. But I had a damnfine tuner. With EQ. I will again even if I have to buy the damn EQ separately. If I'm gonna listen to it (and I am...) it's gonna sound immaculate. You're dealing with someone who will spend three hours setting up the speakers so as to optimize room acoustics.

Yes, I need a life.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Altron said:
There are many compromises that you get by having lots of digital processing, small speakers, and a single bass source.

Why do you assume smaller speakers? Our Yamaha 12" woofers 20 year old speakers are doing just fine as mains. The Infinity surrounds aren't 4" cubes either. Not everybody (nobody if I can help it) buys packages.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gonz said:
Why do you assume smaller speakers? Our Yamaha 12" woofers 20 year old speakers are doing just fine as mains. The Infinity surrounds aren't 4" cubes either. Not everybody (nobody if I can help it) buys packages.

Yeah, and not to mention that 5.1 means 5 full range channels and 1/10th range channel. Bass from only one source is quite different than 5 full range channels and one specialized bass channel.

Plus, the ear can not localize the source at low frequencies ;)

Altron

But those little 2" cube satellites aren't going anywhere near bass...

I am not talking about stereo with 3.1 channels added. I am talking about those very popular 'cube' satellite, small subwoofer, and cheap reciever systems.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Well, bought most of the stereo today.

Found a Kenwood 1000 watt tuner/amp on sale. Bundled it with a 30 band EQ also on sale. $300. Not bad.

Got a 5 disc Sony super audio CD changer for $135. Would have preferred the Onkio, but couldn't justify the price difference. Sony is decent for home components, just ain't wild about their car stuff.

Talked myself out of the speaker system I was eyeballing. Too pricey. Looked hard at a Pioneer set, but the salesman was a dickweed. Would have required a subwoofer too.

Now...next question. (Luis, Inky, y'all seem to have similar standards to mine, but I'll listen to anybody.) I really really want a reel to reel player/recorder. Cassettes suck, and I like having several hours of taped music available for times when we're working around the house and stuff. Any ideas who still sells 'em? I don't need top shelf, just something utilitarian that can handle the big reels (six hour tapes on slow speed record would be heavenly.) All I've found so far is radio/studio sites, and they're outrageous expensive.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
Shipping would eat me alive.

As a rule, companies pay much lower shipping costs than Joe-off-the-street. Anyone with an "account" with a shipper (UPS, FEdex, etc) will have some form of discount. Lately, whenever I've bought something, I agree in advance with the seller to use my company's puro account, and I pay the girl at Logistics the cost. Of course, I do clear each and every package with her first, but she likes me. If your office has any similar agreement, you just need to have a quick word with someone in the mailroom, and you're in business.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Shipping would eat me alive.

1/2 inch, or larger? I used to be a big fan of Reel to Reel, but the cost of tapes was eating me alive, so I dumped my old Pioneer 1/2 inch about 10 years ago...:mope:...If you really want one, I suggest calling around your nearest college campus to see if they have any they're trying to unload. Then try a nearby recording studio. They usually have one, or two, sitting somewhere that they didn't have the heart to get rid of for nostalgia purposes. They might part with it, for a fee, of course, if they know it's going to a 'good home'...

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Professur said:
As a rule, companies pay much lower shipping costs than Joe-off-the-street. Anyone with an "account" with a shipper (UPS, FEdex, etc) will have some form of discount. Lately, whenever I've bought something, I agree in advance with the seller to use my company's puro account, and I pay the girl at Logistics the cost. Of course, I do clear each and every package with her first, but she likes me. If your office has any similar agreement, you just need to have a quick word with someone in the mailroom, and you're in business.

I work for state government. You take it from there.

Professur

Like I said, talk to the girl in the mailroom. They're usually lonely and friendly.

I shouldn't have said that, should I?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
I really really want a reel to reel player/recorder. Cassettes suck, and I like having several hours of taped music available for times when we're working around the house and stuff. Any ideas who still sells 'em? I don't need top shelf, just something utilitarian that can handle the big reels (six hour tapes on slow speed record would be heavenly.) All I've found so far is radio/studio sites, and they're outrageous expensive.

Those went out of style before I was born. I've never seen one.

What kind of speakers are you looking at? Klipsch and Onkyo make great ones.