I appear to have been adopted

Inkara1

There's this black cat that's started hanging around lately. He seems to like me... and I mean REALLY like me. (Yes, I checked, it's a he).

He has a flea collar on so I'm not sure if he belongs to someone or if he's been abandoned. I went to the store and bought him some food and he ate what I poured out real quickly. He drank a fair amount of the water too.

I suspect he was left behind. It's hard to know for sure though.

Here's the catch: my rental agreement specifically prohibits pets of any kind. So if I keep him and let him in the house I could get in trouble.

So now I'm in a bit of a quandry.

Dave

you can try calling the management company and see if they are inflexable about small house pets like a cat. some placesaround here will allow them if you pay a little more in rent. kind of like insurance against damage type of thing.
or you could just keep the cat and if someone complains about it to management, play dumb and say you've been planning to call them and ask about it but have been busy...
unless you are a problem tenet, or one of the neighbors is a complete tool, most likely nobody would notice. at least that is my experience.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Check out the laws there. Here a landlord can't specify no pets unless it's deeply disturbing to other tenants. As in, a dog menacing/barking/biting.

Uki Chick

What a cuttie! I would call the management as well, make sure it's ok to keep him. If he's been lost, then people would put up signs in the neighborhood. At least that's what I did when one of mine took off. If there isn't anything, then he has been abandoned.

MrBishop

Abandonment is how I got my last cat, Bishop. Re-adopted cats make for the best pets, though they do get fat quick depending on how long they've been out and how well they were able to fend for themselves.

If he's just an indoor/outdoor cat, then you can say that you don't own him but were just feeding him out of compassion. :) Who's going to argue with that?

Mare

Inkara1 said:
There's this black cat that's started hanging around lately. He seems to like me... and I mean REALLY like me. (Yes, I checked, it's a he).
QUOTE]

Awwwwwwwwwwww..he's a cutie! Where are his eyes though :D

FluerVanderloo

There was a cat that kept coming around to my dad's house. She was really noisy and meowed for food, and we'd bring her out some of our current cat's stuff for her to eat. She was sleeping on tires, etc., so she was really dirty. Well, we took her in and now she is Satan. We named her "Toody" because of her crankiness.

But my point is, she looks just like that cat. Beware. :lol2:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Check the nape of his neck for a hard spot abou the size of a grain of rice. If he has one, take him to a vet, and you can get his entire health history...and his previous owners name, too. Good information here...

Inkara1

Turns out this kitty is a little whore. I'm one of three people in my apartment complex that has been feeding him.

MrBishop

If you want to keep him from straying to one of your neighbours, you could always feed you current Avatar to it :)

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
Turns out this kitty is a little whore. I'm one of three people in my apartment complex that has been feeding him.

Only three? That's pretty circumspect for a cat.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
LOL

I had a cat way back when that did that. He'd go out, come back the next day, nothing unusual, except that I couldn't figure out why he was so fat! :laugh:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
When I was still in college, my roomie and I used to let this cat come in and eat every so often when she'd show up. Nobody claimed the cat, she just kinna lurked about.

One bright summer afternoon, we let her in to eat, and sorta forgot she was there. Coupla hours later, she came strutting out of the roomie's bedroom. Roomie made the observation that the cat was quite a bit thinner than when she came in.

Lo and behold, she had given birth...on his prized zebra print sheets no less.

He took the kittens to a vet when they were able to be handled, and Momma Cat went a day or two later. Vet managed to get them all placed with families. He burned the sheets. I dunno why...God knows they'd seen nastier than that in their day.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Lo and behold, she had given birth...on his prized zebra print sheets no less.

He took the kittens to a vet when they were able to be handled, and Momma Cat went a day or two later. Vet managed to get them all placed with families. He burned the sheets. I dunno why...God knows they'd seen nastier than that in their day.

Perhaps...but, then again...maybe they hadn't seen that much pussy at one time. :D