I appear to have been adopted

BeardofPants

Make sure you douse the urinated are with a fragrance that cats don't like, such as tea tree oil or summit. Do you catch the cat in the act of urinating? If so, have you tried the old 'spray' water trick?

Professur

BeardofPants said:
Since when were you so concerned about the feelings of others?

No, jsut tired of trying to get supposedly intelligent people to realize when they're being used. Explaining the folly of cat ownership is like telling a battered housewife that her husband is a good-for-nothing so and so.

What are you a bish now?
*runs, runs like the wiiiind

:D

Hardly. He likes cats, remember?

Inkara1

Leslie said:
he can still smell it. Your enzymes no workie. Wash the sheets and stuff with bleach, dry at hot temps, then spray em down with Lysol (there's a nice linen smelling one).

You can't restrict his access?

They hate crinkles under their feet, so you could line the bed with tin foil, but that'd suck.

Is it "on" the bed, or on the side of the bed? Is it while you're in it?

I just got the enzyme stuff a couple of days ago, and this is the first time he's pissed on the bed since I got it. This is the first trial. The reason I didn't put the sheets in the washer is because I had to leave for work right then. If I close the bedroom door, he'll just piss on the couch. The times I've caught him peeing, either on the bed, on a chair, etc., I've disciplined him... usually by grabbing him real hard by the small of the neck and dropping him into the litter box. Last time, though, when he tried to piss on one of the disc-shaped chairs in the computer room, I chased him around the house and he hid behind the couch for a while.

It's right on the bed... through the comforter, sheets and mattress pad.

I've also found shit on the floor in front of the couch before, too, back before I got the living room cleaned up.

But, again, he does use the box too.

I'm leery of the foil on the bed trick because he's also peed on piles of wrinkled newspapers before, so I don't think the krinkling under his feet would bug him.

The problem with the spray trick is that 1) a lot of cats like it, and 2) That won't work for the 8-10 hours a day I'm not there. Today's episode was when I was in the shower. I walked back into the bedroom and smelled it.

Professur

Do yourself a favour. Blacklight the place. You might find that he's responding to something you haven't seen.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
a) is he fixed? If no, do so.
b) as long as he can smell pee or another cat, he'll keep on now that he's started. You'll really have to do all the bedsheets, also sprinkle all of the furniture (including the mattress) and carpets with baking soda, vacuum, then spray down with good old fashioned Lysol.
c) what is your litterbox situation? Are you using the "dump the entire box out once a week" kind? or the scoopable kind?
d) it could potentially be attributable to the infection he had, maybe the vet's secretary could answer a question about that for you?

Professur

Or, you could do the common sense thing, and put the ungrateful fucker back out on the street where he came from.

Inkara1

Leslie said:
a) is he fixed? If no, do so.
b) as long as he can smell pee or another cat, he'll keep on now that he's started. You'll really have to do all the bedsheets, also sprinkle all of the furniture (including the mattress) and carpets with baking soda, vacuum, then spray down with good old fashioned Lysol.
c) what is your litterbox situation? Are you using the "dump the entire box out once a week" kind? or the scoopable kind?
d) it could potentially be attributable to the infection he had, maybe the vet's secretary could answer a question about that for you?

The real fun part is that he peed on one of the shelves in my bookshelf, and it had eaten through the finsih by the time I discovered it. I sprayed the enzyme on it, but I'm not so sure it could get down into the wood. I've been using the Fresh Step Crystals... the blue ones. They're absorbent, and supposed to last a month, but I've been dumping and replacing every two weeks, while scooping out poop and the occasional clump that does come about. The bag says to stir the crystals every now and then, so that's what I do.

He would probably smell Christina's family's cat on the sectional couch, since that's where it came from, but he started this all off with a massive load of pee on my bed... and he's the first cat ever to be anywhere near it.

Inkara1

Well, when he's not peeing on the bed, I actually enjoy his company... he doesn't scratch me or anything.

Inkara1

So once I get his peeing problems fixed with the second box, there's more... he was sitting on my desk and when he jumped down, there was a little white worm left behind.

Great.

Inkara1

I'm going to stop by the vet's office tomorrow during my lunch break and get some quality de-worming stuff to give to him. I hope to find it in liquid form so that I don't have to try to get him to swallow a pill.

alex

So now you're gonna have pee and worm infested shit all over your apartment......I'd save myself the vet bill and put him back on the street before he ruins every piece of furniture you have, that's probably why he was there in the first place.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Pills are easier, worms are easy to fix.

I'm glad the pee problem's fixed. It was the second box or the litter?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
As for getting the smell of pee out of wood use vinegar and water. I've researched it but not tried it. My doggie is having some accidents in her old age and we have hardwood. Apparently they hate the smell fo vinegar. Sat the whole house here is getting a once through with vinegar water and then water w/dishsoap (the harshest soap we were told we should use on the hardwood) to hopefully take away the vinegar smell for us but leave it for her.

MrBishop

How To Give A Cat A Pill

If you have ever tried to give a cat a pill you know
how difficult it is. The following instructions are fool proof!

1. Pick up the cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from under chair. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take a new pill from foil wrap. Cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between the knees. Holding front and rear paws, ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make a note to buy a new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set aside for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with it's head just visible from beneath spouse's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down straw.

9. Check label to make sure that pill is not harmful to humans. Drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10.Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with spoon, flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for last tetanus shot. throw t-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call the fire department to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining room table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from garage. Force cat's mouth open with small trowel. Push pill into mouth followed}by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 1/2 pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room. Sit quietly while doctor stitches finger and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture store on the way home to order a new table.

15. Arrange for vet to make house call.

Professur

*sigh* You people and your cats. You know how you give a dog a pill? Hide it under a potato chip on the floor and walk out of the room.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Not always.

I used to put them in cheese (either Kraft slices or cubes), peanut butter, ice cream, inside hunks of meat, everything. Daisy would get it into her mouth, work it, work it, work it, get every miniscule bit of food off the pill, then spit it onto the floor.

Only thing that worked with her was holding her mouth open and dropping it in.

Professur

Yeah, .... because she knew it was there. The trick is to make the dog think that it's getting away with something. The old potato-chip-on-the-floor trick counts on the fact that the dog thinks it isn't supposed to eat it. It'll chomp that sucker down on the run, unstead of taking it's time and thinking about it.

Give a dog a treat ... and there's no hurry. Stick a pill in a ham sandwich and walk away and see how long it's there for.