I stealing this computer!

Inkara1

[Proselytizing]I don't suppose you've considered Linux? The board works just fine in Firefox, Epiphany and Mozilla, a bit iffy in Konqueror.[/Proselytizing]

Perhaps you could talk to corporate and convince them to switch us from Mac OS 9.2 to linux, plus pay for new licenses of Photoshop for linux (if it exists, and GIMP won't cut it), Adobe Illustrator for linux (if it exists), Quark XPress for linux if it exists, Acrobat (full version, not the reader) for linux (if it exists), plus a linux version of the software that lets the computer talk to the printing press over at the printing plant, etc., plus buy all new PC hardware -- four computers for the newsroom (we're small), four for the graphics room (including the server), three for ad sales, one for the publisher, three for the front office and two at the print plant, plus print drivers for the HP LaserJet 5000C, plus either linux drivers for CanoScan scanners or new scanners that will work with linux. This, of course, being the same corporation that only pays 22 cents a mile.

rrfield

Why are there separate versions for English and for British English? Does the British version say "tally ho, mate" and "oh, bugger" and "bloody hell"?

perhaps. bigger question: why no confederate version?

oh yeah, they lost, thats why :grinyes:

chcr

Too cute for words
Perhaps you could talk to corporate and convince them to switch us from Mac OS 9.2 to linux, plus pay for new licenses of Photoshop for linux (if it exists, and GIMP won't cut it), Adobe Illustrator for linux (if it exists), Quark XPress for linux if it exists, Acrobat (full version, not the reader) for linux (if it exists), plus a linux version of the software that lets the computer talk to the printing press over at the printing plant, etc., plus buy all new PC hardware -- four computers for the newsroom (we're small), four for the graphics room (including the server), three for ad sales, one for the publisher, three for the front office and two at the print plant, plus print drivers for the HP LaserJet 5000C, plus either linux drivers for CanoScan scanners or new scanners that will work with linux. This, of course, being the same corporation that only pays 22 cents a mile.
Well, I was really talking about Sharky's situation, but...

You need an IT guy. I'm available but I'm a little pricey. Actually, virtually every distro supports virtually every HP printer natively. Most of the Canon scanners too (not my all-in-one though). Gimp does everything Photoshop does, but not the same way. Illustrator, 'fraid not, although like I say, if you can run it in OSX you can prolly port it to Linux. Etc., etc, etc...

Inkara1

The graphics guy and I both kinda-sorta double as the IT guys. I took a computer that was just sitting here collecting dust but was better than what I had before, fixed it up and got it going, and it's been one of the most stable computers in the whole office.

Sharky

Sharky!!!!! ::::::hugs::::::: :leghump: :beardbng:

Hey, BoP!! :kiss:

samcurry said:
W00t!! hey sharky!! good to see ya back

Hey, Sam!! Good to be back. :cool:

tonksy said:
Sharky! Sorry I missed you!

Ditto, tonks! I'm still nocturnal. :shrug:

chcr said:
[Proselytizing]I don't suppose you've considered Linux? The board works just fine in Firefox, Epiphany and Mozilla, a bit iffy in Konqueror.[/Proselytizing]

Speak English, please, sir! :nerd: :D

rrfield said:
firefox is available for the macs, but only osx

Aye, there's the rub. :blank:

MrBishop said:
Good t' see you back, Sharky!

Thanks, Bish! :toast:

Camelyn said:
SHaRkY!!!

It's been eons! I've missed having a man around who makes shrimp boots look GOOD!

:blush: I still wear them with bib overalls, too. :bgpimp:

catocom

yeah, what they said....good to see ya Sharky man. I thought you mighta washed out to sea.

I see a bunch of RVs these days around here. Do you have a bunch of vacationers down your way lately?

Sharky

Cajun Reeboks, eh Shark?
Yup! :grinyes:

catacom[/quote said:
yeah, what they said....good to see ya Sharky man. I thought you mighta washed out to sea.

I see a bunch of RVs these days around here. Do you have a bunch of vacationers down your way lately?
Hiya, Cat! How ya doin', man?

Kind of a lull right now, tourist-wise . . . ThunderBeach (motorcycle rally - kind of a mini-Sturgis deal) ended last weekend, Indian Summer Seafood Festival starts next week (Hootie and the Blowfish, woowoo!), so this is a great weekend to be on the beach for peace and quiet. It's been in the 90s daytime and 60s nights, the skies have been clear, and the seaweed is gone from the beach . . . perfect, man, perfect.

Spirit said:
Sharky... *smooooch*
Mmmmm . . . I lurves dem Spirit smooches! :kiss:

BB said:
um, hello sharky ... nice Av!

(good mer-dentist too btw!)
Hello, m8! :toast:

I keeps them teeths pearly white! :D

Aunty Em

Why are there separate versions for English and for British English? Does the British version say "tally ho, mate" and "oh, bugger" and "bloody hell"?

Cos americans... as in us citizens... can't spell properly, they've mutilated the english language that the rest of us use. :p

Welcome back Sharky, btw.

and that's "Tally ho, chaps."... "mates" is far to vulgar an expression for the toffs to use.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Cos americans... as in us citizens... can't spell properly, they've mutilated the english language that the rest of us use. :p

Welcome back Sharky, btw.

and that's "Tally ho, chaps."... "mates" is far to vulgar an expression for the toffs to use.

:rolleyes: Shouldn't you be out adding an unnecessary 'U' to just about every word with an 'O' in it? :D

Aunty Em

:rolleyes: Shouldn't you be out adding an unnecessary 'U' to just about every word with an 'O' in it? :D

Listen mate, my language comes with classic greek and latin spelling... you lot mutilated it 'cos you're too lazy to spell properly. :p

As for yo it's I in spanish... a language more likely to be spoken in the ghettos where it came from I would think...

Aunty Em

You prefer to pretend many spanish speakers don't do the lowpaid jobs other people don't want to do? A ghetto to me is an area with a high concentration of workers living in crowded lowcost housing... that doesn't make those people any less deserving of respect and a decent life. There's a lot of inequalities in this life that suck.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
You prefer to pretend many spanish speakers don't do the lowpaid jobs other people don't want to do? A ghetto to me is an area with a high concentration of workers living in crowded lowcost housing... that doesn't make those people any less deserving of respect and a decent life. There's a lot of inequalities in this life that suck.

Spanish did not originate in ghettos.