It's Biden ...

Cerise

"Sloppy Joe" speaks:

"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." --Joe Biden on Barack Obama

"Stand up, Chuck! Stand up!" --Joe Biden

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.... I'm not joking." --Joe Biden

“The White House isn’t the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, and the economic future of the next generation,”--J. Biden.

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened,”‘ Barack Obama’s running mate recently told the “CBS Evening News.”

"I thought that was terrible, by the way. I didn't know we did it. If I'd had anything to do with it, we'd have never done it. And I don't think Barack, you know, I mean, I just think -- I don't think there was anything intentional about that." Biden told Couric. Even tho the ad was "approved by Barack Obama" he had, I mean, anything intentional, ya think??

2minkey

bootlicker
biden is certainly a regrettable choice but he wouldn't be nearly as bad as palin should something happen to #1.

Cerise

McCain is a tough old bird. His ma is 96 years old and sharp as a tack. He ain't going to meet his Maker anytime soon.

jimpeel

Obama showing signs of how sorry he is he made the wrong choice.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/23/obama-chides-biden-for-off-message-interview/

Obama Chides Biden for Off-Message Interview
by FOXNews.com
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Barack Obama and Joe Biden stepped out of sync again Tuesday, as the Democratic presidential nominee criticized his running mate for voicing opposition to the government bailout of American International Group early last week.

It was the second off-message moment for the Democratic team in two days. Biden had to ratchet back his own rhetoric Monday after an interview aired in which he called one of his own campaign ads “terrible.”

The lack of harmony suggests the Obama team, for months a rancor-free institution, is running into the kind of message discipline problems that John McCain’s campaign faced before he started to cut back his interaction with reporters.

The latest friction happened when Obama was asked on NBC’s “Today Show” about why he criticized McCain for initially opposing a federal bailout of AIG when Biden was also speaking out against it.

“I think … that in that situation, I think Joe should have waited, as well,” Obama said.

He was referring to Biden’s interview with NBC last Tuesday in which he said, “I don’t think (AIG) should be bailed out by the federal government.”

That echoed McCain’s comment the same day. But all the while Obama had stayed relatively mum on the crisis at AIG. He released a statement last Wednesday expressing his hopes for the rescue plans, but did not give a clear verdict on whether he supported the plan.

Having censured Biden for his remarks, Obama continued to criticize McCain Tuesday for initially opposing federal action on AIG.

“(McCain) said the government should stand aside and allow one of the nation’s largest insurers, AIG, to collapse,” Obama said. ” I think what has been clear during this entire past 10 days is John McCain has not had clarity and a grasp on the situation.”

The internal static, however, was not quite as pronounced as when Biden denounced his own campaign’s ad the day before.

In an interview with CBS News, the Delaware senator took issue with an attack ad from his own side that criticized McCain for his lack of savvy when it comes to computers and e-mail.

“I thought that was terrible by the way,” Biden said. “I didn’t know we did it and if I had anything to do with it, we would have never done it.”

The McCain campaign pounced on the statement, and Biden later issued a clarification.

“Having now reviewed the ad, it is even more clear to me that given the disgraceful tenor of Senator McCain’s ads and their persistent falsehoods, his campaign is in no position to criticize,” Biden later said, criticizing McCain for an ad accusing Obama of voting to teach kindergartners about sex. The Obama campaign has said the bill would help children avoid predators.

Biden also raised eyebrows two weeks ago when he said Hillary Clinton “might have been a better pick than me” to be Obama’s running mate.

While Obama has worked intently to patch up the rifts between his campaign and supporters loyal to Clinton, he hasn’t gone so far as to say Clinton would be a better running mate.

Biden, however, told the audience at a town hall meeting in New Hampshire that Clinton “is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of the United States of America.”

He was responding to an audience member who criticized Clinton.

Click here to read more on Biden’s comments on the Obama campaign ad.

FOX News’ Aaron Bruns contributed to this report.

jimpeel

[sigh] Biden's latest gaffe ...

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/23/biden-slips-suggests-fdr-was-president-when-market-crashed/

Biden Slips, Suggests FDR Was President When Market Crashed
by Associated Press
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

WASHINGTON — Vice presidential candidate Joe Biden says today’s leaders should take a lesson from the history books and follow fellow Democrat Franklin D. Roosevelt’s response to a financial crisis.

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened,”‘ Barack Obama’s running mate recently told the “CBS Evening News.”

Except, Republican Herbert Hoover was in office when the stock market crashed in October 1929. There also was no television at the time; TV wasn’t introduced to the public until a decade later, at the 1939 World’s Fair.

FDR was elected three years later when voters denied Hoover a second term. The Democratic challenger appealed to the “forgotten man” by promising a “new deal” to solve the Depression era.

Democrats usually like to remind the public that a Republican was president during the 1929 stock market crash. During the 2004 presidential election, John Kerry’s campaign repeatedly cited Hoover as the last president until George W. Bush to oversee a loss of jobs during his time in office.

Biden was commenting on the stock market crash when he said leaders should explain the current economic crisis and how to solve it to the public.

“Part of what being a leader does is to instill confidence, is to demonstrate what he or she knows what they are talking about and to communicating to people … this is how we can fix this,” Biden said.

Biden’s spokesman, David Wade, countered: “I’m proud to say that we Democrats aren’t experts at Herbert Hoover depression economics like John McCain and his pals. From Franklin Roosevelt to Bill Clinton, we just get elected to clean up the economic mess these Republicans leave behind.”

MrBishop

“The White House isn’t the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, and the economic future of the next generation,”--J. Biden.

- I couldn't agree more.

jimpeel

- I couldn't agree more.

CLICK

He sure wasn't talking about Palin.

jimpeel

By the way. About those actuarial tables:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,428168,00.html

Actuarial Firm Projects McCain, Obama Healthy for Eight Years as President
Thursday, September 25, 2008

If the U.S. presidency were an insurance policy, both John McCain and Barack Obama would be cleared for coverage.

Obama has a history of smoking, and McCain is 72 years old with a history of skin cancer. But neither candidate is a bad bet to live through two terms as president of the United States, according to a statistical analysis performed by an actuarial firm.

The analysis is similar to those used by insurance companies to determine the longevity, health and well-being of the people they insure.

According to John M. Bragg & Associates Inc., an Atlanta-based actuarial firm, McCain has 8.4 healthy years ahead of him, making him eligible, albeit barely, to serve two terms as the country’s commander-in-chief.

And Obama can look forward to more than two decades — 21.9 years to be exact — of healthy living.

Healthy years differ from life expectancy in that they refer to the number of years a person will live without requiring assisted living or suffer a debilitating illness such as Alzheimer’s disease, not to the average number of years a person has left to live.

Bragg & Associates decided to compute the candidates’ healthy years as a "public service" to voters. The company has not been contracted by either candidate, nor is it endorsing one.

“Health expectancy is one of our specialties,” owner John Bragg told FOXNews.com. “We’ve been doing this for more than 20 years, and we were interested in knowing whether the two candidates would be healthy for two terms. We had access through their Web sites to review their health situations. So we took a look.”

The Business of Calculating Health

Actuaries specialize in risk. Using lifestyle and health information, they calculate a person’s risk of injury, sickness, disability and death.

To calculate the candidates’ healthy years, Jim Brooks, a senior actuary at Bragg & Associates, reviewed the candidates’ publicly available health records. Both candidates received a clean bill of health from their physicians earlier this year.

Among the pros and cons used to calculate McCain’s longevity were his four bouts with melanoma — the deadliest type of skin cancer — as well as his degenerative arthritis, still-active 97-year-old mother and his treadmill EKG, which is in line with someone 10 years younger.

“McCain is a former smoker and he’s been quit for over 10 years, so when you’ve been quit for that long, you start looking like the profile of a nonsmoker,” Brooks said. “He’s in excellent overall health, but we took two things into consideration: the degenerative arthritis that he has as a result of his POW injuries and that fact that he remains at risk for melanoma.”

Brooks then compared McCain’s health to the average mortality rate for nonsmoking males age 72 or older with arthritis and cancer to calculate his projected healthy years.

“It’s our opinion that he has at least 8.4 healthy years ahead of him,” he said. “But he’s super-healthy, so we think he’ll beat that. We can’t predict the future. All we can do is give an indicator. And even people who have a similar profile to McCain and are in a less healthy end of the spectrum sometimes beat that number.”

To gauge Obama’s health, Brooks took into account that he is also in extremely good health, with low cholesterol, triglyceride and blood pressure levels, as well as a very low body fat percentage.

On the downside, however, Obama is considered a smoker, even though he has recently quit.

“He is a moderate smoker, smoking somewhere between one-third to one-half of a pack a day,” Brooks said. “He has said he’s trying to quit and even told a reporter that he has quit, but we need to see something noted in his medical records before we can consider that.”

Bragg noted that in actuarial terms a person has to be smoke-free for at least a year before they can officially be classified as nonsmoking.

Obama’s medical records also noted some mild respiratory problems and a family history of cancer on his mother’s side. But Brooks said neither is expected to substantially impact his longevity.

“Obama is also super healthy, he has a cholesterol level and blood pressure that’s even better than some nonsmokers,” he said.

What the Numbers Mean

Brooks said that if the public takes anything away from the firm’s calculations, it’s that both candidates are healthy enough to serve as president.

Although the numbers show that Obama has more than double the number of healthy years ahead of him than McCain does, Brooks said that has more to do with age than with health.

Brooks also noted that the healthy-year calculations are misleading in that they put Obama at about age 69 when his health starts to fail and McCain at better than 80 years old.

“It has less to do with health and more with survival of the fittest,” Brooks said. “You get more credit the longer you live. McCain already has 25 years on Obama, so Obama still has to survive the next 25 years before he can get credit for them.”