It's Time!

Cerise

....wow just imagine how the world would be different if we'd dumped half a trillion dollars on actually fighting terrorism...

Hmmmmm. A little late for coulda woulda shouldas.

Do you mean how the world would be different if the left didn't try to sway public opinion against the President's decisions and omit the fact that we are in a fight for our very existence?

101916879v6_240x240_Front.jpg

2minkey

bootlicker
well you got me there.
I'm not a fan of the pres. right now, and may never be again.
You may have missed the part where Rumsfeld left, and 2 top Generals
were removed.
I have heard what the new/current General has said though, and he hasn't
had his chance totally yet.

long before Gen Pertaeus was put it his current position, when I first thought
it looked like civil war, I said I thought a withdrawal back to secure the borders
was needed. Didn't happen, and the insurgents got way worse.

That was then. Now it's a totally different situation.
A new plan was voted on, and approved, overwhelmingly. Now halfway through,
some people and the congress want to give up on it.
I did too, before I had more facts. Mainly about time-lines.
I, as many, maybe most, were fed-up with the lack of progress, but
what I didn't factor in was intelligence that I'm not privy to, and what
Gen Pertaeus believes can be done, and the best way to do it.

well if only bush and co had stopped to consider things as many times as you have rather than chasing cartoon democracy, we might be in a very different situation.

Winky

Cat earlier you left out one very nasty possibility.

Israel has to use some of its 200+ thermonuclear devices
to stave of being nuked or over run in a Mid East
devoid of Imperial Amerikan influence.

What a nasty turn of events it would be if the history
of the human race had to include a chapter about how the
Jews were responsible for a reverse holocaust?

Properly employed, thermonuclear weapons could nearly
rival the body count it took Hitler six years to accomplish,
in an afternoon!

Talk about your collatéral dommages!

catocom

well, you most certain have an excellent point there.
Also Pakistan is nuclear, and half radical/Al-qaeda.

I'd like to clarify my position on the bill being debated......
I'm for the bill, just against the Levin/Reid amendment.

Our troops most surely need the appropriations!

catocom

BTW...
I pisses me off when some of these senators want to compare this war with
the Vietnam war.
There is no comparison as far as the threat to "surrounding" countries.:grumpy:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It'll be exactly the same if the Dems get their way.

Iraq-staging base against terrorism. I guess 9-11 never happened.

catocom

This shouldn't be a partisan issue, but it sure is so far.

More "factual information" on the major news channels really needs to be cranked up.

edit: well, there are 3 rep defectors. I don't know yet if any dems are crossed.

2minkey

bootlicker
reverse holocausts?

how about reverse vampires and nude conspiracies?

you guys are just way too much.

once again the sky is falling.

and of course it has everything to do with "the dems" and media misinformation.

while you couch commandos chart the destiny of western civilization, i'm going to go take a nice, fluffy dump.

let me know when you're done and we'll compare our findings.

chcr

Too cute for words
Unfortunately for some of us (all of us on occasion) part of being American means that the people should get what most of them want, regardless of whether or not we agree with it. :shrug: If you don't like it there is always an alternative.

catocom

and with that, I'd say....
Now is the time.....time to make the calls and let your voice be heard to
your senators.

I personally will be voicing my support for the generals on the ground, not
the politicians.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
your comment was proximate to "something worthwhile" so i done thought that's what you meant.

okay. i suppose WW2 had a point.

Our entrance into WWII was a response to the continued US economic pressure on Japan. Our attack on Germany was in response to their declaration of war upon the US due to our declaration of war upon Japan.
Japan may have had a point, but we certainly did not until we provoked them into Pearl Harbor.

2minkey said:
one could even suggest that "containing communism" was a more coherent goal than that of the current endeavor. i mean, gee, at least where we went they HAD COMMIES BEFORE WE GOT THERE. in iraq the real international terrorists (as opposed to local thugs) showed up AFTER we did.

Yep. we did a real good job containing communism. Just ask the NVA, the NK, Cuba, China, and, recently, Venezuela...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
and of course it has everything to do with media misinformation.

More like opinionated newscasters with little, or no, military background, and even no access to the stories that actually show the positive...

2minkey said:
while you couch commandos chart the destiny of western civilization, i'm going to go take a nice, fluffy dump.

let me know when you're done and we'll compare our findings.

Tell you what...I'll be over there sometime this year. Why not come join us, and take a look at whats happening? Couldn't hurt...Besides...for all the media hype, the victims of the insurgency are mostly Iraqi civilians, and not US soldiers.

Congress has even gotten into the idea...

catocom

BTW....
Letting Gen Pertaeus do what was agreed upon, just a month ago, makes
more since to me than letting retired gens run the war.

It may also be that troops could start redeployment even faster than 120 days.:shrug:

I don't like the idea of our troops coming under the control of the UN.

spike

I'm talking about the "currently Active" top gens.
Clark is a quack.

You didn't bother scrolling did you?

There's more than one vet on that page and the site, like former commanding general in Iraq:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aMPIi03wSfY

The fact is Bush has never listened to the generals unless they tell him what he is hoping to hear. It's foolish to think it's going to be any different now.

When President Bush goes before the American people tonight to outline his new strategy for Iraq, he will be doing something he has avoided since the invasion of Iraq in March 2003: ordering his top military brass to take action they initially resisted and advised against.

Bush talks frequently of his disdain for micromanaging the war effort and for second-guessing his commanders. "It's important to trust the judgment of the military when they're making military plans," he told The Washington Post in an interview last month. "I'm a strict adherer to the command structure."

But over the past two months, as the security situation in Iraq has deteriorated and U.S. public support for the war has dropped, Bush has pushed back against his top military advisers and the commanders in Iraq: He has fashioned a plan to add up to 20,000 troops to the 132,000 U.S. service members already on the ground. As Bush plans it, the military will soon be "surging" in Iraq two months after an election that many Democrats interpreted as a mandate to begin withdrawing troops.

Pentagon insiders say members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff have long opposed the increase in troops and are only grudgingly going along with the plan because they have been promised that the military escalation will be matched by renewed political and economic efforts in Iraq. Gen. John P. Abizaid, the outgoing head of Central Command, said less than two months ago that adding U.S. troops was not the answer for Iraq.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/09/AR2007010901872_pf.html