Jericho

Slim Pickens

Does anyone around here read non sci-fi?

I am currently rereading "It"...like "The Stand", I agree with SnP, I read each of them about once a year. I am pretty pumped, because W.E.B. Griffin has a relatively new series, and he has returned to the "Men at War" series, with an assist from his son.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I could go on and on. I read around two books a week depending on length plus magazines and news. If I stopped doing this and playing guitar I could probably up the count but I don't want to. I recently read (or reread) all of the Discworld novels in chronological order of writing. I was surprised how many I'd missed.

See you on the flip-side...:devious:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
That's just terrible. Get thee to a bookstore post-haste!

I don't know, novels, stories, dramas and such are not really appealing to me. I'm more like an information cruncher. I really enjoy reading wikipedia for instance (with a huge grain of salt). Kinda weird that I'm hooked with the least imaginable subject at the moment by undefined circumstances, it thrills me and then when I've had my share of it I change to another stuff.

That's how I ended up reading that last non-science book (Memories of my melancholy whores by García Márquez), went down for breakfast and on my way out I saw it on the living room. I checked the back-cover, thought I would read a bit of it and then when I last knew I had read it all.

Weird huh?

Inkara1

That does sound like an interesting read, based on the title.

I keep thinking I read another book by him in college, but I can't remember the title.

unclehobart

I never did get around to the discworld series. Is it any good? I always heard it was more of a young adult reader.

I just need to pick up Dune again.

tonksy

Oh! I just requested 2 Gabriel Garcia Marquez books from Paperbackswap on account of this thread.

BeardofPants

OMG, there's a new version out now. DON'T WATCH IT. It's like the unauthorised director's cut that someone did without David Lynch's approval. Ack! Has this really *really* cheesey David Attenborough beginning. Bah, I say. Bah.

tonksy

We went to the Cobb County library surplus sale today. Jeebus! You should have seen it! Nothing was more than $1.
We bought a bunch for this little book drive thing the Brownie Troop is doing and then we got a bunch for ourselves. It was like Christmas.

tonksy

My list of scores:

Waiting for Godot - Samuel Beckett (This was not a library book and is covered with margin chicken scratch and underlining so i am betting somebody left it there after studying or something)

Mother of Pearl - Melinda Haynes
A Thousand Wings - T. C. Huo
My Year of Meats - Ruth L. Ozeki
The Last Days of Dogtown - Anita Diamant
Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
Courting Disaster - Julie Edelson
My Life on a Plate - India Knight
The Mermaid Chair - Sue Kidd Monk (I may already have this)
The Love Wife - Gish Jen
The Women of Brewster Place - Gloria Naylor
Labyrinth - Kate Mosse
The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom
Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier
Lambs of God - Marele Day
Meeting the Minotaur - Carol Dawson
The Bridegroom - Ha Jin
Waiting - Ha Jin
The Tortilla Curtain - T. Coraghessan Boyle
The Birth of Venus - Sarah Dunant
House of Sand and Fog - Andre Dubus III (I may already have this one too)
The Opium Clerk - Kunal Basu
The Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud - Julia Navarro
Night of Many Dreams - Gail Tsukiyama
Honey Don't - Tim Sandler
What Do You Do All Day? - Amy Scheibe
Meshugah - Isaac Bashevis Singer
Chronicle of a Death Foretold - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Thanks Luis)
Saint Maybe - Anne Tyler
A Patchwork Planet - Anne Tyler
Ladder of Years - Anne Tyler
Girl in Hyacinth Blue - Susan Vreeland
The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
Life of Pi - Yann Martel (I will be reading this first as it sounds completely and utterly ridiculous but won a ton of awards so I am curious)

Plus 11 James Michener titles:
Chesapeake
Texas
Alaska
The Source
Poland
Caribbean
Miracle in Seville
Mexico
The Covenant
Creatures of the Kingdom
Legacy

And finally, I grabbed a copy of The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory even though I currently have 2 copies. It is my June book for book club and I plan on passing on the 2 extra copies to members of the group.
Oh! And I'd say 80% of these are hardback.