just wondering

unclehobart

Ive been on BBS where there was a function wherein one could put incorrigible jerks on an ignore list and the site software would just edit out that persons existence for you so as to make the site a more comfortable place to be. Does such a setup or hack exist for this sites software? Is it possible to get such a thing installed?

B

Bubba

greenfreak said:
I'm sure it certainly takes the fun out of being annoying when you know people aren't paying attention to you. :D

heh

Jeslek

Banned
Well I hope I'm not being annoying... if I am, PM me so I can fix it up. That isn't what I want to be at all. :)

unclehobart

Its a banning on the individual level allowing people to control their own comfort level. This place is voluntary. If someone keeps running into a small batch of people that make them nauseous to be around they will ultimately just leave that place. No number of firends can keep them there. They can always fall back on emails and ICQ style services to keep up with them. I can name a large list of people that have left several sites for several reasons all relating to just being fed up with the antics of certain people. I have done the same. I even left this site for a few weeks because of it. If I would have had the option to nullify the source of the irritant, I would have no real reason to depart... after all.. everyone left are friends and the neutral. It wouldn't affect the quality of discussions that I can tell. After all, you are only cutting out the people who are only out to just piss people off and add nothing that you would consider meaningful to the discussion. In all of my years on BBS's I have only seen fit to ban one person... and when that person realized that noone was listening to their BS anymore.. they packed up their tent and left. I know of a small group that refuse to go into the real world type discussions because they just despise running across the same 2-3 spoiled ranters being total dickheads and running ramshackle over the other dozen people who try to play nice and make cogent points. If the more mellow and apolotical members could just isolate who they consider to be jerks, I should think we would see less heated behavior and more well thought out discussions. Theres no reason why every single controversial topic should be hijacked by shitdisturbers. I offer a solution that allows our more mellow members a reasonable middle ground.

unclehobart

Your messages would all post as normal in any given place and still be seen by everyone who hasnt specifically put you on their own ignore list. Even when a person is on your ignore list, you still see all of their activity and their placement within a given thread is still there... its just that the text field is blank except for a message that says: (this person is on your ignore list. click HERE to see this post)

greenfreak

Bubba said:
greenfreak said:
I'm sure it certainly takes the fun out of being annoying when you know people aren't paying attention to you. :D

heh

I see you still like to edit your posts. Care to tell me what your comment was before you edited it since it was directed at my own comment?

B

Bubba

unclehobart said:
Its a banning on the individual level allowing people to control their own comfort level. This place is voluntary. If someone keeps running into a small batch of people that make them nauseous to be around they will ultimately just leave that place. No number of firends can keep them there. They can always fall back on emails and ICQ style services to keep up with them. I can name a large list of people that have left several sites for several reasons all relating to just being fed up with the antics of certain people. I have done the same. I even left this site for a few weeks because of it. If I would have had the option to nullify the source of the irritant, I would have no real reason to depart... after all.. everyone left are friends and the neutral. It wouldn't affect the quality of discussions that I can tell. After all, you are only cutting out the people who are only out to just piss people off and add nothing that you would consider meaningful to the discussion. In all of my years on BBS's I have only seen fit to ban one person... and when that person realized that noone was listening to their BS anymore.. they packed up their tent and left. I know of a small group that refuse to go into the real world type discussions because they just despise running across the same 2-3 spoiled ranters being total dickheads and running ramshackle over the other dozen people who try to play nice and make cogent points. If the more mellow and apolotical members could just isolate who they consider to be jerks, I should think we would see less heated behavior and more well thought out discussions. Theres no reason why every single controversial topic should be hijacked by shitdisturbers. I offer a solution that allows our more mellow members a reasonable middle ground.

Why don't you just come right out and say who it is you have a problem with. Is it me? If not then, who?

B

Bubba

greenfreak said:
I see you still like to edit your posts. Care to tell me what your comment was before you edited it since it was directed at my own comment?

LOL. I can't remember what I said. It couldn't of been too important. :)

unclehobart

Who is to say if I have a problem or not? Perhaps I just want to add an ability that some would find useful. If I have enough of a problem with an individual that I feel the need to excise them from my roster, I dare say that I wouldn't be telling them up front about it. The way I figure it, that particular person whom I find to be incorrigible deserves as little consideration as I could possibly think to give them.

Bubba, I don't think it wise to lay out my current friends and enemies list for public display. A defense of my choices would lead me to violating certain confidences in some circumstances. My reasons are my own.