Justice Souters replacement

catocom

Re: Justice Souders replacement

Blowing in the wind does not a good President make. Moderate means wishy-washy. Right of modern day democrats means left of damn near everyone. Crap, right of republicans, these days, means left of our history.

you've been watching beck again, haven't you.:headbng2:

Blowing in the wind does not a good President make. Moderate means wishy-washy. Right of modern day democrats means left of damn near everyone. Crap, right of republicans, these days, means left of our history.

That's about one of the tiredest most moronic arguments ever used in American politics, and a flat out heinous lie! I thought perhaps you were better than that, but alas I see it is not so!

Moderate means not extremist on the left or the right. It means that one is willing to take good ideas from either side of the aisle, and temper them with good judgment. Moderate is what the political view of most Americans are.

"Blowing in the wind", is just a bullshit propaganda term that the far right coined to scare moderates and right wingers, and I suppose far lefties have probably picked up on that idiotic bullshit by now as well, more's the pity!

2minkey

bootlicker
well we've got it all here now don't we.

we got jefferson. we got marbury. we got macho statements distinguishing the speaker from all them pussies that won't "take a stand."

yep. big history and deeply held values. all saying "i ain't no commie wimp."

poser formula complete.

please send your rent check today.

MrBishop

Leah Ward Sears
Leah Ward Sears (born June 13, 1955) is Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the U.S. state of Georgia. She is also Chair of the Judicial Council of Georgia, the 200 million dollar agency in charge of the state judicial system. When sworn in on June 28, 2005, Sears became the first African-American female Chief Justice in the United States. When she was first appointed as justice in 1992 by then Governor Zell Miller, she became the first woman and youngest person to sit on the Supreme Court of Georgia.

that's where my bets lie.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
well we've got it all here now don't we.

we got jefferson. we got marbury. we got macho statements distinguishing the speaker from all them pussies that won't "take a stand."

yep. big history and deeply held values. all saying "i ain't no commie wimp."

poser formula complete.

please send your rent check today.

Much like our current President, you use more words to say nothing trhan probably anyone here. Give Obama a teleprompter & he is succint & well spoken. Ask him a real question & he rambles on & on. No wonder you praise him so.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
jackass...either you believe in something or you'll believe anything. There are no new arguments in politics. The name & wording changes to protect the sheep.

Cat...I've listened to him on radio but never saw his TV shows (we do tend to have simialr beliefs though)

2minkey

bootlicker
Much like our current President, you use more words to say nothing trhan probably anyone here.

yes, yes, it's so inferior to your vague and redundant blather. good to see you back, gonz. keep chimpin' on the poser formula.

jackass...either you believe in something or you'll believe anything. There are no new arguments in politics. The name & wording changes to protect the sheep.

No that's just self serving bullshit you tell yourself so you can feel superior, but don't let me stop you! Extremists always are masters at propaganda and deluding themselves....

I believe in health care for everyone, I believe in putting an end to frivolous lawsuits. I believe in locking up violent sex offenders forever. I believe in abolishing the death penalty. I believe in treating drug offenses as health issues, I believe in separating violent offenders from non-violent in the penal system. I believe a lot more emphasis should be put into rehabilitation, and less on punishment. I believe that abortion should be legal, I also believe mothers who lose children because of neglect and abuse should be held criminally liable for giving birth again without legal leave to do so!

Now if that isn't a smattering of beliefs that goes left then right, and back again, I do not know what is! There is no wavering on these beliefs. Almost all of them are based on observable facts and studies that strongly suggest them to be very effective policies. What I don't believe in is your let money reign supreme society, or Cerise's god and nationalism. Nor am I really in spike's corner, though I have to say I do not find him to be nearly as extreme to the left as most of you "conservatives" are to the right.

Most of all I believe in making up my mind based on facts, not a philosophy....

jimpeel

That's about one of the tiredest most moronic arguments ever used in American politics, and a flat out heinous lie! I thought perhaps you were better than that, but alas I see it is not so!

Moderate means not extremist on the left or the right. It means that one is willing to take good ideas from either side of the aisle, and temper them with good judgment. Moderate is what the political view of most Americans are.

"Blowing in the wind", is just a bullshit propaganda term that the far right coined to scare moderates and right wingers, and I suppose far lefties have probably picked up on that idiotic bullshit by now as well, more's the pity!

"Moderate" means "unable to make up one's mind depending on which way the political winds are blowing."

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I believe in health care for everyone,

As do I...just not at my expense. Why do you want to pay fro Bill Gates' X-rays?

I believe in putting an end to frivolous lawsuits.

Define frivolous.

I believe in locking up violent sex offenders forever.

Define violent. Define sex offender.

I believe in abolishing the death penalty.

Life terms for everyone!!! I'm actually against a government imposed death penalty. That's giving over way too much power. However, death to a duly convicted murderer, at the hands of the victims family is ok in my book.

I believe in treating drug offenses as health issues
Since an addict is far more lilely to commit a crime than non-addict, it's safe to assume that drugs are a key factor in crime & therefor should be illegal. However, as a believer in the basic fundamentals of natural order...stay out of the users way. No jail. No publically funded healthcare.

I believe a lot more emphasis should be put into rehabilitation, and less on punishment.

What about violent sexual offenders?

Jail is for punishment. Dr Phil is for rehab.

for giving birth again without legal leave to do so!

Legal leave? Bureau of Motor Vehicles & Baby Licensing? It's a natural process. If we can't stop frivolous abortions, we damn sure can't stop our most basic and fundamental animal instict, the continuation of our species.

What I don't believe in is your let money reign supreme society, or Cerise's god and nationalism.

I'm pretty sure you're missing the only thing that matters. Liberty.

Most of all I believe in making up my mind based on facts, not a philosophy....

Facts change.

[bob dylan]The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind [/bob dylan]

As do I...just not at my expense. Why do you want to pay fro Bill Gates' X-rays?

Profit and medicine don't mix well, but I suppose you will never understand that.

Define frivolous.

That would be up to some sort of judicial review board, and limits must be placed on what one can win.

You can't be that dumb!

Life terms for everyone!!! I'm actually against a government imposed death penalty. That's giving over way too much power. However, death to a duly convicted murderer, at the hands of the victims family is ok in my book.

When guilt cannot be established 100% then a 100% punishment solution is cruel and unusual.

Since an addict is far more likely to commit a crime than non-addict, it's safe to assume that drugs are a key factor in crime & therefor should be illegal. However, as a believer in the basic fundamentals of natural order...stay out of the users way. No jail. No publicly funded health care.

Yep, and we see how well that is not working! Obviously crimes of violence and theft, when they are drug related should have no special status, but crimes relating only to drug use and addiction are health issues and the prisons are clogged because of it, and worse still it's gladiator school. when they come out they are smarter, better and angrier criminals!

High level drugs suppliers, like cartels and profiteers need to be treated as crime, but junkies peddling dime bags need treatment. You pay more in taxes by treating things like we do. Oh yeah that's right you are a staunch conservative which means you have an inherently poor understanding of modern economics....

What about violent sexual offenders?

Already answered.

Jail is for punishment. Dr Phil is for rehab.

Punishment doesn't work, study after study proves it. By all means though, lets take what doesn't work and make it harsher in hopes that it will work! Is that about right?

Legal leave? Bureau of Motor Vehicles & Baby Licensing? It's a natural process. If we can't stop frivolous abortions, we damn sure can't stop our most basic and fundamental animal instinct, the continuation of our species.

Yes but, when I say legal leave, I mean if she was convicted of neglect and abuse, then she ought to be required to report any pregnancy to a probation office, and if she is found to still be unfit, she ought to be compelled to give it for adoption. Plenty of baby-less families desperate to adopt!

I'm pretty sure you're missing the only thing that matters. Liberty.

No I am not, but I know that Liberty cannot be absolute. You are missing the other part though....Justice!

Facts change.

Exactly, and that is why a document written in the sixteenth century cannot be taken literally today. We need to hold to the principle I would agree, but the logistics are all different. Welcome to the 21st century!

[bob dylan]The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind [/bob dylan]

What about facts change? Shouldn't policy change to deal with facts. One thing is for damn sure, the answer is not buried in some seventeenth century graveyard where you are looking for it!

jimpeel

You can't be that dumb!

A thirty-five-year-old California man has sexual intercourse with a seventeen-year-old girl the day before her eighteenth birthday.

Is he a sexual predator?

Should he go to prison?

Should he be on a sexual offender registry on the internet so his neighbors can harass, assault him?

Should he have to register as a sex offender?

The laws in California say "Yes" to all of these.

Are the laws fair and just?

How would you define a sex offender?

By the way, in nearly every other state in the Union this man would not have committed a crime at all.

Your turn.

jimpeel

Exactly, and that is why a document written in the sixteenth century cannot be taken literally today. We need to hold to the principle I would agree, but the logistics are all different. Welcome to the 21st century!

So the Supreme Law of the Land is obsolete and cannot be taken literally? Are you ready to have soldiers billeted in your home? Your firearms forcibly confiscated? Your land and home taken? Your family held to answer for your crimes? No jury trial? Debtor's prison? Unreasonable searches at the whim of the authorities? A standing army on your own shores? Your church or temple shuttered? Your free speech curtailed? Your freedom to travel disallowed? Your right to vote taken away?

You really need to think about just how much that sixteenth (actually eighteenth) century document actually means to you.

So the Supreme Law of the Land is obsolete and cannot be taken literally? Are you ready to have soldiers billeted in your home? Your firearms forcibly confiscated? Your land and home taken? Your family held to answer for your crimes? No jury trial? Debtor's prison? Unreasonable searches at the whim of the authorities? A standing army on your own shores? Your church or temple shuttered? Your free speech curtailed? Your freedom to travel disallowed? Your right to vote taken away?

You really need to think about just how much that sixteenth (actually eighteenth) century document actually means to you.

No it's you who takes my meaning and makes it worst case scenario because you have typical conservative paranoia. Most of it (the Constitution) still applies, you'd get no argument from me there, but my point is, that when new realities face us, we need to be able to amend it (as we have always been able to do). Sometimes I hear that tired old argument, mostly regarding Social Security, and the "New Deal", about how the founding fathers never intended....blah, blah, blah and blah!

Well I got news for you, economic times had changed when FDR, probably one of the greatest men of the last century, helped make a program that was needed at the time. The supreme court upheld the constitutionality. What the founding fathers intended in that case means less than squat. Who can say how they would have felt had they lived to see the great depression? Perhaps there would have been a whole other mindset.

See the whole precept of conservative politics rests on traditionalism, and keeping things unchanged, or perhaps reverting to times past. That is not to say that all Republicans subscribe to that idiotology, and thank God for that! Times change, technology changes, society changes, and we must be able to react sensibly and accordingly. So all that drama of yours.....Well save it for someone who you might scare, because that ain't me!

2minkey

bootlicker
Damn Jim, these "don't have sex with kids" laws really get to you.

yeah really makes you wonder how many pre-teenies dressed like mennonites he's got chained up in his mountain compound.

"oh no mister peel, please not the anal again. aren't you still sore from last time?"

:lol2:

OK Gonz, lets look at the record....

FDR, was enormously popular, won most elections by a landslide, authored the new deals and helped us out of the great depression, and whether you agree with it or not, most of America did, and still does, you are a minority in your disdain. In fact I got this little blip from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A 1999 survey by C-SPAN found that by a wide margin academic historians consider Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Roosevelt the three greatest presidents, consistent with other surveys.[103] Roosevelt is the sixth most admired person from the 20th century by US citizens, according to Gallup.[104]

Then he authored "Lend-Lease", got us through Pearl Harbor, led us through most of WWII, was widely regarded as good for civil rights, and in so many ways is most of why we became a "super power". All of this he did while suffering from the effects of polio. You don't have to like him for him to have been great. He was definitely one of the most influential men in the world in the 20th century!

But all that pales in comparison the the accomplishments of great men like GWB, Dick Cheney, Newt Gingrich and the contract he took out on America, right?!? Denial of FDR's greatness is denial of reality itself. I don't like Hitler, what he did or what he stood for, but by God I have to give him a lot of credit for a lot of lofty accomplishments, and would not deny his greatness if even it is for his infamy.

Even if you dislike FDR, if you deny he had the best interests of America at heart, you are lying to yourself, but then that is what many extremists have to do to get by.....