New Car Shopping

greenfreak

Yeah, I used to be too, the first car I had was a truck. There's just too many out there right now though, it's a real bitch when you're behind them. For me, it wouldn't be worth the extra gas and emissions at this point.

What do you think?:

2283.jpg

:D

unclehobart

greenfreak said:
Yeah, I used to be too, the first car I had was a truck. There's just too many out there right now though, it's a real bitch when you're behind them. For me, it wouldn't be worth the extra gas and emissions at this point.

What do you think?:

2283.jpg

:D
Get some green tint light covers, green leather interior, and green wheels ...and you might just have something.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
squiggs i looked at the Sorento and the CRV both are great vehicles. dont think you could go wrong with either.
The H2 hummer and the original hummer are made just up north of where gonz and i work. i see about 10-12 truck loads of them go bymy window everyday. im gonna shoot the tires out from under the hauler someday and get me one....:D

Squiggy

ThunderDick
The CRV is about the same price as the low end Sorento but the Sorento has the better base package. I did want the V-6, which isn't available in the CRV so I think the Sorento wins that one...

unclehobart

Honda does have the long term quality of manufacture and the best damn long term maintenence and dependability record for any car company. Even as a V6 the Kia may not have enough ponies for that rock solid feel.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Their V-6 isn't all that impressive but its much better than either of the 4s. The Kia Has a great 10 year/ 100,000mile warranty and I think 6 year road service. Everything I've read so far says its great. I agree about Honda being historically reliable, but I would probably prefer one of their other vehicles. If I go with the SUV, it won't be theirs....

unclehobart

CR-V: 4cyl 160hp 162 ft/lbs torque// 3287lbs// 15 gallon tank 22city 26 hwy// 33.5 cu.ft. luggage (20.54 lbs per hp)

Kia: 6cyl 192hp 217 ft/lbs torque// 4057lbs// 21 gallon tank 15 city 20 hwy// 31.4 cu.ft. luggage (21.13 lbs per hp)

The Kia has a mild torque edge and an extra inch or so on the passenger roominess factors ... but the power seems to be a wash ...and at the cost of some strong mileage numbers.

unclehobart

Doh.. a little late be I. I've been crunching numbers for a bit.

What is your price range in all of this? I see 20k up at the top .. but if theres a little leverage in there ... it would surely open up some possibilities.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
XTerra... who's buying me one?

I drove my brother-in-laws xterra the other day - loved it!!!!!!! I want one!!!! But I'll probably end up with something short of a lemon.:(

Squiggy

ThunderDick
The mileage is the stickler with the KIA as I mentioned in the original post. I'm not locked into it because of that one thing. So the search goes on....By the time I'm done I'll probably talk myself into BMW Z? :D

Dave

time for my $0.02

do you want an SUV because you go off roading or haul a lot of gear or just cause they are high off the ground and you like the styling? a lot of the newer SUV's come with 4WD as an option.

look into the subaru's. i believe you can get a decked out forrester for around $25k. the base imprezas top out around $20k. i can tell you from personal experience that they are GREAT in the snow.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I was just checking out the Mazda Tribute and the Mitsubishi Montero. Their sites aren't as easily navigated as KIA's. :D That aside, They appear to cost a lot more by the time I configure them the same as KIA. I would probably go with the 2WD version if I do go SUV. Its not like I'm going to make my own roads or anything. I mainly want an all purpose vehicle. And I'm trying to make myself look in all directions. Nothing worse than buying one and then seeing something you would have preferred.

unclehobart

If you can dial down to the station wagon approach, like Spot says, the Impreza has been the king of all creation for a decade solid. The WRX is a beast .. and gets decent mileage.