New car time!

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Luis G said:
I have the idea that most cars "wake up" after some mileage, somehow the acceleration feels much more solid.

One thing I clearly remember from my hot roddin' youth:

We built a 289HP for the Cougar, and later a 351 Cleaveland. In both instances, I was threatened with death if I got it over 50mph before I put 500 miles on it...

I waited until it was 750, then turned it loose. Makes a world of difference. Takes some miles to get the fluids all distributed right and some of the parts worked in.

A.B.Normal

SouthernN'Proud said:
One thing I clearly remember from my hot roddin' youth:

We built a 289HP for the Cougar, and later a 351 Cleaveland. In both instances, I was threatened with death if I got it over 50mph before I put 500 miles on it...

I waited until it was 750, then turned it loose. Makes a world of difference. Takes some miles to get the fluids all distributed right and some of the parts worked in.

Newer vehicles aren't as susceptible to to adverse wear if driven hard for the first 500miles or so,the tolerances used when building them are musch better so you don't have to wear them in.In fact if driven hard/aggressisve for the first 500 ,a new car usually performs better because thats what the computer learns and adjusts to. :swing:

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Computers on cars. Pah! A pox, I say, a pox!

I'd put that 351 in that light bodied '67 Cougar up agin anything Tokyo via Detroit can put together. It'd cross up in the road on ya if you punched it doing 60.

[/Luddite]

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:

I'd put that 351 in that light bodied '67 Cougar up agin anything Tokyo via Detroit can put together. It'd cross up in the road on ya if you punched it doing 60.

[/Luddite]

80tq_599.1whp_2.jpg

:p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:

[/Luddite]

THE WATER COOLED DOWN THE HEAT WENT DOWN
BUT UNDER THE HOOD THE HIGHWAY SOUND
CADILLAC SAT LIKE A TOWING LANE
110 A HALF A MILE AHEAD
CADILLAC LOOK LIKE IT WAS STANDING STILL
I CAUGHT MAYBELLINE AT THE TOP OF THE HILL

Gato_Solo

:grinno:

It's got a 4-barrel carb and dual exhausts,
4:11 gears that really get lost -
Safety tubes and I'm not scared,
The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

We left San Pedro late one night;
The moon and the stars were shinin' bright.
We were drivin' up Grapevine Hill,
Passin' cars like they were standin' still.

Then, all of a sudden, in the wink of an eye,
a Cadillac sedan passed us by.
The remark was made, "That's the car for me."
But, by then, the taillights wuz all you could see.

Well, the fellers ribbed me for bein' behind,
So I started to make that Lincoln unwind.
Took my foot off the gas and, man alive,
I shoved it down into overdrive.

Well, I wound it up to 110;
Twisted the speedometer cable right off the end.
Had my foot glued right to the floor;
I said, "That's all there is - there ain't no more."

Now the fellas thought I'd lost all sense;
The telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said, "Slow down, I see spots."
The lines on the road just looked like dots.

Went around a corner and passed a truck;
I crossed my fingers just for luck -
The fenders clickin' the guard rail post;
The guy beside me was white as a ghost.

Smoke was rollin' outta the back
When I started to gain on that Cadillac
I knew I could catch him and hoped I could pass
But when I did I'd be short on gas.

There were flames comin' from out of the side;
You could feel the tension; man, what a ride.
I said, "Look out, boys, I've got a license to fly"
And the Cadillac pulled over and let me by.

All of a sudden a rod started knockin';
Down in the depths she started a rockin'.
I looked in the mirror and a red light was blinkin';
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln.

Well they arrested me and put me in jail.
I called my pop to make my bail.
He said, "Son, you're gonna drive me t' drinkin',
If you don't quit drivin' that - Hot ... Rod ... Lincoln!"

Gato_Solo

Mirlyn said:
My brother thinks Cam and I should trade in our Explorer for a Charger Daytona.

Link to (sorta big) pic: http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/09/chargerdaytona06_02.jpg (the orange one)

* is scared to think of the insurance on that

That would be a mistake...unless you've got lots of things to haul around. You'd probably do better with one of these instead. Better mileage than either, and easier on the insurance payments. :lloyd:

HomeLAN

Actually, these days they want you to give it a wide variety in the first 500 miles. Some easy stuff, a little highway, and some goosing. What you don't want to do is take a long freeway trip. Constant RPM levels = bad.

Kruz

The R\T is the only one worth considering, 235hp and AWD available...(same hp as my 07 ram with the 4.7 v8) they are fun to drive!
pictures don't do it Justice, you have to see one up close.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Hey Kruz good to see you.

My sister just bought a Jeep Patriot, is there any tips on taking care of it that you know about?

Kruz

nothing extra needed.. just follow the maintenance schedule and it will last a longtime. the new 2.4l engine is strong and high revving, and gets decent mileage to.

Gato_Solo

I own two cars. My 1988 Audi, and a 1998 Chrysler Sebring. My Sebring is getting close to tune-up time, so I checked into what that would entail, considering it's a FWD. I was shocked. What kind of moron would require removal of the intake manifold in order to change 3 spark plugs and wires? I checked to see if there was another way to do it, and was shocked again. Now I know why it has 100,000 mile tune-ups in the owner's manual. To get a pro to do it would cost between $575 and $675 USD. I can get the parts and do it myself, but I'd still have to get the damned computer 'reset'. What a headache...:mope: Next car I buy will have a longitudinal mounted engine...

Professur

The van, naturally. At least my difficulty was because of the engine's placement in the bay ... not just a piss poor designed engine.

BTW, the only longitudinal mounted engines today are in full sized trucks. I just finished that shopping trip.