New film raises fears of Muslim outrage

Professur

no but they certainly outpace the rest of society by proportion...

Even surpassing Boy scout leaders? Day care operators? School teachers? Doctors? Camp counselors?

Molesters put themselves into positions and jobs where they've access to potential victims. Demeaning the job because someone exploits it is like insulting all charities because some people abuse the system.

2minkey

bootlicker
Even surpassing Boy scout leaders? Day care operators? School teachers? Doctors? Camp counselors?

Molesters put themselves into positions and jobs where they've access to potential victims. Demeaning the job because someone exploits it is like insulting all charities because some people abuse the system.

"i haven't had this much sex since i was a boy scout leader." :hump:

generally i enjoy the company of priests. they're pretty interesting to talk to. much more interesting, in my book, than most other types of christian clergyfolks.

of course i'm very disappointed in the way the church handled the molester priests. but do i cast a suspicious gaze upon any priest i meet? of course not. but, then, i don't get off on judgement and condemnation.

i certainly do think it's better to speak about some issues - in a counseling context - with someone outside of the religious arena. but, then, my experience with counseling is, um, thar ain't any.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
but do i cast a suspicious gaze upon any priest i meet? of course not. but, then, i don't get off on judgement and condemnation.

No, never

SnP's Dictionary, page 677:

Hypocrite - n. One who says one thing and does another in a vain effort to make themselves appear to be something they are not

I need to karmalize chcr for the dictionary idea.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
How many child molesters do you personally know?

I KNEW one, not a priest, and the priests I did know I would trust with children, and the imams I have met, I would get on a plane, bus, whatever with.

The whole point being not all imams are fanatical, not all priests are molesters, though some of each group are.

Professur

"i haven't had this much sex since i was a boy scout leader." :hump:

generally i enjoy the company of priests. they're pretty interesting to talk to. much more interesting, in my book, than most other types of christian clergyfolks.

of course i'm very disappointed in the way the church handled the molester priests. but do i cast a suspicious gaze upon any priest i meet? of course not. but, then, i don't get off on judgement and condemnation.

i certainly do think it's better to speak about some issues - in a counseling context - with someone outside of the religious arena. but, then, my experience with counseling is, um, thar ain't any.

You do accept and realize that 'the church' is bound by it's own rules first and foremost. Amongst those ... the sanctity of the confessional, and forgiveness of sins. Given those, and without violating them, how would you recommend that they have acted. I'd be very interested to hear that.

2minkey

bootlicker
You do accept and realize that 'the church' is bound by it's own rules first and foremost. Amongst those ... the sanctity of the confessional, and forgiveness of sins. Given those, and without violating them, how would you recommend that they have acted. I'd be very interested to hear that.

good question.

what if they'd simply "asked" them to voluntarily resign, and not just shuffled them around? that would seem to be a reasonable compromise. that way whatever happened would stay within the church but not expose more kiddies to abuse situations....?

Professur

How do you think that matches up against the 'forgiveness' rule? Doesn't seem to fulfill it 100%. Of course, that's a perspective opinion based on one's definition of the word 'forgiveness' to begin with. It also doesn't fulfill the confidentiality of the confessional, does it?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
How do you think that matches up against the 'forgiveness' rule? Doesn't seem to fulfill it 100%. Of course, that's a perspective opinion based on one's definition of the word 'forgiveness' to begin with. It also doesn't fulfill the confidentiality of the confessional, does it?

But at what point does the laws of the "state" outweigh the laws of the church, if a priest commited a secular sin, it should be handled in a secular court, if it is a religious law, it would be handled in religious court, if it was both, then both courts, the problem I have with the church and there handling of the child molestation charges, is the fact they DIDN'T handle them, they covered them up.

Professur

... because within the church ... they weren't allowed. As far as religion goes, their rules are followed first. And the law accepts that ... so far. A priest is never a potential witness to a confession. You know that already.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
... because within the church ... they weren't allowed. As far as religion goes, their rules are followed first. And the law accepts that ... so far. A priest is never a potential witness to a confession. You know that already.

I know the confessional is almost like dr./client, and lawyer confidentiality. But a priest gets caught buggering an altar boy, nothing happened in confession.

and a priest HEARING confession gives out penance, your penance is to go to the cop station and...

Professur

And how does that reflect 'forgiveness'? You see .. it's not so easy to keep both. And if a boy is buggered and goes to the cops, that's civil and criminal. Minkey was addressing the church's actions. That's religious, no matter how people want to see it.

Just like here at work. They're dealing with someone caught with CP. He might go to jail for it ... but that's not grounds for us to fire him. We had a guy found with a client's Ipod .. IN his truck. Couldn't fire him. And our union contracts are a long way from eternal damnation and 2000 years of doctrine, y'know.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Sorry to have abandoned y'all for a while. I had to go to a neighboring county and put a convicted child molestor back in prison where he belongs.

And ya know what? He ain't even Catholic, much less a priest.

Amazing huh?

Professur

Sorry to have abandoned y'all for a while. I had to go to a neighboring county and put a convicted child molestor back in prison where he belongs.

Amazing huh?

Well, if I drank American beer ... I'd say it's Miller time.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

Amazing huh?

Holy shit, it reminds me of the time I met that Muslim guy who WASN'T a terrorist, it freaked me out.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I know, I know. All rednecks are barefoot, the girls are pregnant at 11 and married by 13, and all they do is nothing.

And of course we all know the old saw about the two Jews fighting to the death because they both found the same penny on the sidewalk...

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
well you have shoes, and work, and I have yet to kill another jew over a penny, so I guess we learned something about stereotypes and generalizations.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
*light bulb*

That's IT! OMG, that's IT!

I been brainstorming for weeks, trying to figure out what I wanted for my "title" when I hit 10K posts, and it just hit me.

Redneck Jihad