Newegg sucks eggs

alex

I purchased this memory on 2/28/06. When I purchased it, it was advertised at $199.00 w/$40 MIR. So I get the package 3 days later, install my memory (and my Zalman 9500 HSF). Then I go back to newegg.com to print out my rebate form and it's changed. Now it's $205 w/$30 MIR (for purchases starting 3/1/06. I go into their rebate center and search for the rebate that I need.....no evidence of any rebate for the period I made my purchase. There is a $40 rebate for that memory that ended 2/15/06. Looks like they were advertising an expired rebate. Gotta get on the horn Monday afternoon and chew some butt :elaugh1:

The last time I purchased anything from newegg, I bought a cheap video card for my parents cause they had purchased a flat panel monitor and didn't have a DVI connection. The video card I ordered was advertised as AGP 4x.....I received a PCI card. They ended up giving me a $10 credit for giving me the wrong card but it looks like newegg is resorting to some trickery. I'll be hesitant to buy from them again.

catocom

I'm 50/50 with the rebates from there.
I sent 2 in for a Seagate drive $20, and $30. The $20 is all they approved.
Also have a $10 for Thermaltake that say it's denied, after they had already approved it. :confused:

I don't hold much faith in any MIRs. NE really is changing prices pretty rapidly though.
For the same exact parts to build a particular comp, it's $120 more now, than
1 month ago.

This isn't the time to buy there ATM. I believe the prices are going up more,
before/if they come back down.

It seems right now every place is trying to squeeze every penny.
I keep telling people, we ARE going to have some rough times this year.
You've really gotta "shop around" more now than ever. The problem is
finding an honest parts place. NE is starting to hurt their rep at this point.

Edit: speeling, ..I mean spelling :D

alex

Looks like I may be hosed anyway. My system still only recognizes 2gb of memory. I've pulled out all four identical 1gb sticks, reseated and rebooted.....still only 2gb recognized.

alex

That's what I'm thinkin'.

I just pulled all four dimms, marked the older modules so I could tell which was which.

I plugged in the new dimms only....2gb detected.......new memory isn't bad.

Plugged older dimms in other two sockets...still 2gb detected. CRAP.

Mobo manual says dimms with 18 chips are not supported. I counted 16 chips on each dimm....can't be that.

I read a review on newegg where someone said that most AMD boards will not run 4gb memory at full speed....It didn't say at all.

Inkara1

Other than that I'm still waiting for the rebate on the Soyo motherboard I bought in September 2004, I've had nothing but good experiences with Newegg.

HomeLAN

I don't do rebates anymore, or if I do, I don't figure them in the price I expect to pay. I've learned that actually receiving a rebate from anywhere, on-line or brick-and-mortar, is like finding $10 in the pocket of an old jacket. A nice surprise, but don't bloody count on it.

As for newegg, wait'll you have to RMA something. Then you'll discover why their rep is what it is.

alex

As far as I can remember, I've only been stiffed on one rebate (and I've sent a lot in over the past 5-6 years). That was from Circuit City. I bought an ethernet card for $5 w/$5 MIR....free after rebate. Never got it, never bothered to go down there and raise hell with 'em. I almost got stiffed from CompUSA. Bought Family Tree Maker for $69.99 w/$50 MIR. After 8 weeks or so, I went online to check the status of my rebate and it said the product I purchased didn't qualify for the rebate. Fortunately I saved the newspaper ad and receipts and showed it to the manager, he gave me a $50 gift card.

I have actually come out ahead on some of their screw ups. There was the PNY rebate debacle. I purchased a compact flash card from Best Buy, rebate was denied, I raised hell with Best Buy, they gave me the rebate in cash, I finally got the rebate from PNY. I think I ended up getting the flash card for like $20 or something.

Oh, I'm out of work sick today.....granddaughter was sick this weekend and passed it on to me.....spent most of the night with major stomach cramps and sitting on the toilet.

HomeLAN

alex said:
Oh, I'm out of work sick today.....granddaughter was sick this weekend and passed it on to me.....spent most of the night with major stomach cramps and sitting on the toilet.

Lovely. Keep the fluid intake up.

catocom

HomeLAN said:
I don't do rebates anymore, or if I do, I don't figure them in the price I expect to pay. I've learned that actually receiving a rebate from anywhere, on-line or brick-and-mortar, is like finding $10 in the pocket of an old jacket. A nice surprise, but don't bloody count on it.

As for newegg, wait'll you have to RMA something. Then you'll discover why their rep is what it is.
ditto...

and the RMAing is why I'm still dealing mostly exclusive with them.
I've had about 6 overs the years...very little hassle. :)

alex

Newegg comes thru...they emailed the rebate form to me. Now comes the 11 billion week wait for the rebate to come in.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I've yet to not get a rebate. Only one was ungodly long in its wait processs (Lexmar from Staples). Of course, by the time I get it, th eCC bill has been paid & I forgot how much the original bill was.

catocom

Inkara1 said:
Other than that I'm still waiting for the rebate on the Soyo motherboard I bought in September 2004, I've had nothing but good experiences with Newegg.
I never got jack from them either, on 2 separate boards.
I'll never but Soyo again...anything. (I think it totaled about $150 bucks)

Inkara1

Not only did they dick me around on the rebate, one of the memory slots is bad. I run dual-channel RAM and if I put the DIMMS in slots 0 and 2, I get random reboots... but slots 1 and 3 and it's worked fine for over a year. That means upgrades with this board would require replacing what I've got now instead of adding to it.

Inkara1

Naw... I bought an AMD Athlon Slot A 600 processor from you, and put it on an Asus refurbished board I found for cheap. I thought the board had gone bad so I upgraded to the MSI board with a T-bird 1.2GHz. Turns out the power supply was the problem after all.