Newegg sucks eggs

woodman19_99

Great... now I read this after purchasing an MSI X800 for $123 w/ $40 MIR. Problem is, reading comprehension was never my strong point, so I got a PCI-E card when I meant to get AGP. CRAP!

Anyone need a brand new MSI X800? Only thing I did was to look inside the box at the card and accessories...

catocom

Yep MSI is why I swore of AMD for a while. I had a board that killed 3 t-birds, and a duron. :crying4:
Not to mention 3 memory sticks, and a power supply.
It was a cheap oem board, but still....no more MSI for this ol' boy. (mobos anyway)

alex

Yea, mostly mobo's here too. I had some MSI boards a few years ago that were pretty decent but they got sucky a few years ago. I also had a MSI video card, but it died after 2 1/2 years.

Altron

woodman19_99 said:
Great... now I read this after purchasing an MSI X800 for $123 w/ $40 MIR. Problem is, reading comprehension was never my strong point, so I got a PCI-E card when I meant to get AGP. CRAP!

Anyone need a brand new MSI X800? Only thing I did was to look inside the box at the card and accessories...

I'll paypal you 83 dollars if you put it in a box and mail it to my house.

woodman19_99

Altron said:
I'll paypal you 83 dollars if you put it in a box and mail it to my house.

We'll see. I wanna try and get close to what I paid. If I bite on the $83, then I will try the rebate for myself.

By the way, I've had one MSI motherboard, and there no problems on it for 2 years with an AMD 2100. I have heard some bad things, but recently, I have heard good things about their K8 boards...

HomeLAN

MSI (along with some others, but MSI was the worst) has been recently well konown for sloppy shit like blown mobo caps. That will definitely put you off your feed.

To be fair, Abit has now been named in a similar class-action suit. MSI was the one who got the ball rolling, though.

woodman19_99

That article is from 2004. I know about the blown caps, but as you mentioned, ABIT is alson involved. Same thing happened to Epox a while ago with their 8RDA boards. I just recently sold my 8RDA board, and there were no issues with capacitors.

To be honest, I can't entirely blame these companies. I know they pick the parts, and they probably are trying to cut costs (as any business does) but I seriously doubt they picked capacitors that were known to be faulty, especially after what had happened with Epox.

HomeLAN

woodman19_99 said:
That article is from 2004. I know about the blown caps, but as you mentioned, ABIT is alson involved. Same thing happened to Epox a while ago with their 8RDA boards. I just recently sold my 8RDA board, and there were no issues with capacitors.

To be honest, I can't entirely blame these companies. I know they pick the parts, and they probably are trying to cut costs (as any business does) but I seriously doubt they picked capacitors that were known to be faulty, especially after what had happened with Epox.

From comments in this thread, it appears MSI has picked up a bad rep. I'm merely trying to point to some possible reasons why.

alex

Being in the electronics industry, I know there are problems with component supplies and the industry/technology changes very fast. Say a component mfg. comes out with a new type cap.....most companies will want to design their products to fit that new component cause that's what the mfg. is currently producing. So what do they do with the millions of old parts they have on the shelves? They sell them to brokers, brokers let them sit on the shelf for an extended period (sometimes past the anticipated shelf life of the part) then sell them to companies at increased prices when the company is hard up for them. We've had these problems where I work.

I also know there were some industry wide problems with tantalum caps...something about a chemical in them that becomes unstable under certain conditions and after an extended period of time. We've almost quit using them.

woodman19_99

HomeLAN said:
From comments in this thread, it appears MSI has picked up a bad rep. I'm merely trying to point to some possible reasons why.

Oh I know. I am just saying that maybe that rep isn't as applicable now as it was in the past. But I can understand how some people can still dislike them.(catacom's 4 processor deathbed!)

Altron

woodman19_99 said:
We'll see. I wanna try and get close to what I paid. If I bite on the $83, then I will try the rebate for myself.

By the way, I've had one MSI motherboard, and there no problems on it for 2 years with an AMD 2100. I have heard some bad things, but recently, I have heard good things about their K8 boards...

$123 (what you paid) - $40 (what you will get back in the mail) = $83 (what I offered)

Inkara1

Just curious, what symptoms will the computer exhibit when some caps are blown? I haven't had any problems but I'm curious.

catocom

Does anyone else here have any trouble with the new authentication at newegg?

This is the second order I've tried to place that won't go through.
It pops up a new thing that asks for more info, and I put it in, but it still won't go through.
The last time before today was 2-27-06.
I can call and get them to submit it, and it will go through.
If they can't get it worked out, I'm going to have to do the bulk of my online
shopping somewhere else, because it cost me an extra day to get the order placed. :confused:

They started using ARCOT, and it sucks.

alex

Haven't tried to order anythng since I bought that useless ram....but I bought it Feb. 28th with no problems.

Altron

I just placed an order yesterday, didn't have validation issues.

Most annoying online purchase ever though...
First I go to Amazon and try to buy it. Amazon ends up selling it though a third party, and apparantly Amazon doesn't talk to this third party, because Amazon was telling me that they have it in stock, then when I bought it, they told me that it would ship out Monday. Then I get an email fron Antonline, the third party, saying that it's out of stock and they're refunding me. They don't say whether they cancelled my order or put it on backorder though. I went to Amazon and they said 'Ask Antonline about your order status' but because I went solely through Amazon, I didn't have an account at Antonline, so I couldn't check the status or cancel it. I send them an e-mail on Saturday, still no reply.

Then on Monday I order it from Newegg. I go through the whole process, then when it does that 'Processing' screen, it told me that there was a server problem and to try ordering again later. I checked the 'My Recent Orders' thing and it didn't show up, so I tried it again five minutes later. Same thing. Then I check a half hour later, and it's put through two orders, so I had to cancel one.

catocom

I don't know what the problem is if it's not that ARCOT thing.
They've resubmitted it 3 times from there, and I'm still getting an authentication problem.
I guess I'm going to have to buy elsewhere from now on since they can't
fix the problem. I don't have any problems Anywhere else so far.

Lookout Fry's here I come. :alienhuh: