nthony Weiner calls out Republicans for blocking aid to 9/11 workers

spike

Huh, the A got cut off in the title.

Fucking brilliant though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4zwCMf8dsc

We need more people like this.

House Republicans last night blocked a bill that would provide long-term medical care and monitoring for the nearly 60,000 Sept. 11 rescue and recovery workers and community members whose health is at serious risk from their exposure to the contaminated and toxic rubble at Ground Zero of the World Trade Center.

AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka called the vote a deep disappointment and said:

Helping the thousands of 9/11 responders and others who are now sick as a result of their exposures at the World Trade Center should not be a partisan issue. But sadly, the majority of House Republicans voted against this bill.

The 255-159 vote in favor of the bill included 12 Republicans. But because the bill was on what is known as the suspension calendar used for non-controversial bills, it needed a two-thirds majority to pass. What’s controversial about helping Sept. 11 heroes who faced a toxic mix of chemicals, jet fuel, asbestos, lead, glass fragments and other debris?

Trumka noted that the cost of the bill was paid for by closing tax loopholes for foreign companies operating in the United States.

It appears that some Republicans and business groups, including the Chamber of Commerce, are more concerned with protecting the interests of the foreign based companies who try to avoid paying taxes than helping those who answered the nation’s call on 9/11.

Rep. Michael E. McMahon (D-N.Y.) said the Republican arguments against the bill are “ridiculous and baseless.”

It is utterly unconscionable to me that my Republican colleagues decided to put their own petty, partisan agenda ahead of the solemn moral obligation to help the countless volunteers who were there for us in our nation’s greatest hour of need. Shame on them.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y), one of the bill’s chief sponsors, said she expects the House to take up the Sept. 11 medical aid bill when it returns from its August recess under normal rules that require just a simple majority for passage.

Nine long years after the attacks, the living victims of 9/11 are still suffering. We must pass this bill. It is the least we can do as a grateful nation.

http://blog.aflcio.org/2010/07/30/house-republicans-block-medical-help-for-911-heroes/

spike

I couldn't find anything relevant or interesting there.

Do you agree with the Reps blocking aid to 9/11 workers?

catocom

nope, so it's a good thing that wasn't the reason they voted it down.

Do you agree that Pelosi and some others lied when they said they were stopping the pork?

catocom

What do you think the reason was?

Trying to completely change the subject?

not trying to change the subject.
They didn't vote for it because of the pork thrown in at the last moment.
At least for some of that was the reason.

So Do you agree Nancy lied, and pork was put in...?

spike

They didn't vote for it because of the pork thrown in at the last moment.

What pork was thrown in at the last moment? Link?

At least for some of that was the reason.

Link to the ones who stated that was the reason?

Looks like they just didn't do the right thing for these heroes.

catocom

I'll see if I can round up a porkage link

Do you agree with the Reps blocking aid to 9/11 workers?
Do you have proof that the reason they didn't for for it was because they
just wanted to block the aide?

Professur

Without seeing the full text of the bill, I refuse to comment on it's details. But I've posted enough examples of bullshit bills this last week that i'm disappointed to see anyone taking any of them at face value. There may well be something in this bill for first responder care ... but how many other riders and addendums are there on it that have fuck all to do with them? If the answer is honestly none, I'll eat my shorts.

BUT ...ignoring that ... don't the dems have enough seats to pass any bill they choose? I think they do. I think that there was a whole lot of Dems not voting for that bill.

Gotholic

Pardon my ignorance, but why must there be a bill in order to provide aid to 9/11 responders? Why not just do it?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
BUT ...ignoring that ... don't the dems have enough seats to pass any bill they choose? I think they do. I think that there was a whole lot of Dems not voting for that bill.

They have nearly a filibuster proof advantage (off by one seat)...yet, they've had to lie, cheat & steal their way to many bills this year. Even when they had 60 votes, they couldn't pass things without bribes & manipulation.

spike

They have nearly a filibuster proof advantage (off by one seat)...yet, they've had to lie, cheat & steal their way to many bills this year. Even when they had 60 votes, they couldn't pass things without bribes & manipulation.

No the Reps are using bribes and manipulation to try and block even the most obviously just bills like aid to 9/11 heroes. They are just sickening at this point. They lie, cheat, and steal to ignore the heroic efforts of these patriots.

Professur

No the Reps are using bribes and manipulation to try and block even the most obviously just bills like aid to 9/11 heroes. They are just sickening at this point. They lie, cheat, and steal to ignore the heroic efforts of these patriots.

You keep harping on that point, ignoring all others. Well, to that sir, I respond It's not theirs to give.

If they, or you, feel that these heros need financial aid, reach into your own pockets and provide it. Charity through taxation isn't charity...it's theft. The gov't has no mandate to be my conscience or anyone else's.

catocom

4 Democrats and 155 Republicans voted against it. Who would you say is primarily at fault for it not passing?

I heard 12-17 Reps voted for it.

The Dems clearly have the majority.
Your numbers don't seem to add up. Got a link?