oh gods, the slippery slope.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
"Unitarians from Boston to Berkeley have opened another front in the liberal crusade to expand the definition of marriage and family in America... according to the Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness, their relationships are at least as ethical as other marriages - gay or straight... last week, a group of conservative evangelicals asked San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom whether his support of same-sex marriage applied to multiple-partner marriages. 'What possible reason could you find for discriminating against or denying equal access to threesomes, foursomes, etc.?' they asked in a letter to Newsom."

linky

Multiple partner marriage.......don't you hate when what gonz says comes true?

p.s. I still support gay marriage

chcr

Too cute for words
paul_valaru said:
linky

Multiple partner marriage.......don't you hate when what gonz says comes true?

p.s. I still support gay marriage

Sorry, for Gonz to have been right no one would have tried this before.

freako104

its possible he would support it. but I doubt it. In the west marriage is only 2 people. and the slippery slope I have been hearing compares it more to beastiality and paedophelia.

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:
its possible he would support it. but I doubt it. In the west marriage is only 2 people. and the slippery slope I have been hearing compares it more to beastiality and paedophelia.

Utah, ever hear of it Eric?

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
chcr said:

And their practice of polygamy was 'outlawed' by the state. It's still practiced, but not licensed, and, if one of the spouses complains, it is a criminal offense punishable by jail and/or fines. All in all...it falls rather neatly into what Gonz was saying even if you don't agree with it, or believe it.

HomeLAN

Gato_Solo said:
All in all...it falls rather neatly into what Gonz was saying even if you don't agree with it, or believe it.

Might or might not go further, but this IS a step down the path he was suggesting.

Professur

freako104 said:

That was me, not Gonz. But Paul's point is entirely valid. Once you open up the definition of marriage as a legal instead of moral concept, you invite anyone and everyone to add their own opinion.

freako104

chcr said:

why yes. My aunt and uncle are Mormons and moved out there to help my cousin and his wife. and they believe it is only for 2 people to be married. and as far as I know there are laws against polygymy

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
freako104 said:
why yes. My aunt and uncle are Mormons and moved out there to help my cousin and his wife. and they believe it is only for 2 people to be married. and as far as I know there are laws against polygymy

There are laws against it...but...according to Prof, isn't that just another lifestyle that is just as 'ethically' valid as homosexual relationships? According to your base arguments on homosexual marriage, it should be allowed, so now you must justify how your views can limit marriage to just 2 adults. Good luck.

chcr

Too cute for words
freako104 said:

Yep, there are laws against it and it happens all the time. Like most other things there are laws against. It's just most prevalent in Utah, I know of a few families in AZ and NM and I'm certain it happens elsewhere. The Mormon doctrine in no way prohibits polygamy.

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
There are laws against it...but...according to Prof, isn't that just another lifestyle that is just as 'ethically' valid as homosexual relationships? According to your base arguments on homosexual marriage, it should be allowed, so now you must justify how your views can limit marriage to just 2 adults. Good luck.

you should read earlier posts on this. MY argument is that I dont have a problem in and of itself with polygymy. I do not see it as immoral or amoral.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The mormons don't prohibit polygamy, but most of the ones I've talked to also say it's not encouraged either. It's just a matter of interpretation as to how each little sect handles it. It's true that in Utah, there are many that do believe it is the correct way. There are other mormons that feel it's wrong.

Inkara1

I have problems with religions that change their ways to comply with man's law instead of what they believe is God's law.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have my name mentioned without derogatory adjectives attached to it & I should feel like dancing. I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.