Oh, nice one Dubya and Trickier Dickhead!

Well perhaps it is not really them, but they let it happen on their watch and I have no doubt if they knew they couldn't have cared less....

New York Times said:
C.I.A. Abuse Cases Detailed in Report on Detainees

By MARK MAZZETTI and SCOTT SHANE
Published: August 25, 2009

WASHINGTON —The Justice Department released a long-secret report Monday chronicling abuses inside the Central Intelligence Agency’s overseas prisons, showing how interrogators choked a prisoner repeatedly and threatened to kill another detainee’s children.

In response to the findings, Attorney General Eric H Holder Jr. chose John H. Durham, a veteran prosecutor from Connecticut who has been investigating the C.I.A.’s destruction of interrogation videotapes, to determine whether a full criminal investigation of the conduct of agency employees or contractors was warranted. The review will be the most politically explosive inquiry since Mr. Holder took over the Justice Department in February.

The decision was a significant blow to the C.I.A, and Mr. Holder said he would be criticized for undercutting the intelligence agency’s work. He said that he agreed with President Obama’s oft-expressed desire not to get mired in disputes over the policies of former President George W. Bush, but that his review of reports on the C.I.A. interrogation program left him no choice.

“As attorney general, my duty is to examine the facts and to follow the law,” Mr. Holder said in a statement. “Given all of the information currently available, it is clear to me that this review is the only responsible course of action for me to take.”

Although large portions of the 109-page report are blacked out, it gives new details about a variety of abuses inside the C.I.A.’s overseas prisons, including suggestions about sexually assaulting members of a detainee’s family, staging mock executions, intimidation with a handgun and power drill, and blowing cigar and cigarette smoke into prisoners’ faces to make them vomit.

The report found that the interrogations obtained critical information to identify terrorists and stop potential plots and said some imprisoned terrorists provided more information after being exposed to brutal treatment.

But the inspector general’s review raised broad questions about the legality, political acceptability and effectiveness of the harshest of the C.I.A.’s methods, including some not authorized by the Justice Department and others that were approved, like the near-drowning technique of waterboarding.

“This review identified concerns about the use of the waterboard, specifically whether the risks of its use were justified by the results, whether it has been unnecessarily used in some instances,” the report said, and whether the frequency and volume of water poured over the prisoner’s mouth and nose exceeded the Justice Department’s legal authorization.

The attorney general said his decision to order an inquiry was based in part on the recommendation of the Justice Department’s ethics office, which called for a new review of several interrogation cases.

In what appeared to be a response to the Justice Department’s release, the C.I.A. later on Monday released previously secret agency reports from 2004 and 2005 that detailed intelligence scoops produced by the interrogation program.

One of the reports calls the program “a crucial pillar of U.S. counterterrorism efforts” and describes how interrogations helped unravel a network headed by an Indonesian terrorist known as Hambali. The other report details information elicited from Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, chief planner of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, saying it “dramatically expanded our universe of knowledge on Al Qaeda’s plots.”

Those reports, which former Vice President Dick Cheney had sought to have released earlier this year, do not refer to any specific interrogation methods and do not assess their effectiveness.

The inspector general’s report, by contrast, offers details of abusive methods. During one session, a C.I.A. interrogator told Abd al-Rahim al Nashiri, charged with plotting the 2000 bombing of the Navy destroyer Cole, that if he did not cooperate with his captors, “we could get your mother in here” and “we can bring your family in here.”

According to the report, the interrogator wanted Mr. Nashiri to infer for “psychological” reasons that his female relatives might be sexually abused.

In another session of questioning, the report said, one C.I.A. interrogator told investigators that Mr. Mohammed was told that if there was another attack on American soil, the C.I.A. would “kill your children.” Mr. Mohammed’s young sons were in the custody of Pakistani and American authorities at the time.

Among a litany of C.I.A. tactics, the report describes the “hard takedown,” when a detainee was grabbed and thrown to the floor before being moved to a sleep-deprivation cell. It details baths given to Mr. Nashiri, saying he was sometimes scrubbed with “the kind of brush one uses in a bath to remove stubborn dirt” to induce pain. In July 2002, the report says, a C.I.A. interrogator grabbed a detainee’s neck to restrict the prisoner’s carotid artery until he began to faint. Another officer then “shook the detainee to wake him,” and the “pressure point” technique was repeated twice more.

Interrogators also staged a mock execution in 2002 to intimidate a detainee. C.I.A. officers began screaming outside the room where he was being interrogated. When leaving the room, he “passed a guard who was dressed as a hooded detainee, lying motionless on the ground, and made to appear as if he had been shot to death.”

In 2003, C.I.A. officers began using another technique — called “water dousing” — that involved laying a detainee on a plastic sheet and pouring water over him for 10 to 15 minutes.

According to the report, an interrogator believed this was an effective technique, and sent a cable back to C.I.A. headquarters requesting guidelines.

A return cable explained that a detainee “must be placed on a towel or sheet, may not be placed naked on the bare cement floor, and the air temperature must exceed 65 degrees if the detainee will not be dried immediately.”

Such detailed guidelines reflected concern throughout the C.I.A. about the potential legal consequences for agency officers. Officers “expressed unsolicited concern about the possibility of recrimination or legal action” and said “they feared that the agency would not stand behind them,” the report said.

The C.I.A. director, Leon E. Panetta, issued a statement to employees Monday that carefully avoided defending the brutal treatment while expressing support for the agency’s efforts.

Mr. Panetta wrote that he was not “eager to enter the debate, already politicized, over the ultimate utility of the agency’s past detention and interrogation effort.” He said the program had produced crucial intelligence but added that use of the harsh methods “will remain a legitimate area of dispute.”

Members of Congress from the left and the right criticized Mr. Holder’s decision.

Senator Ron Wyden, Democrat of Oregon and a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, criticized the potential focus on interrogators, suggesting that ignoring Justice Department lawyers and senior Bush administration officials in the investigation had echoes of the Abu Ghraib scandal, when “lower ranking troops who committed abuses were hung out to dry.”

But Representative Peter Hoekstra of Michigan, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, said the Justice Department inquiry risked disrupting current counterterrorism operations. He said abuse charges had already been “exhaustively reviewed.”

The choice of Mr. Durham is likely to speed the review’s progress, because his team of F.B.I. agents and lawyers was already deeply immersed in the details of the C.I.A. program. Since January 2008, they have been investigating C.I.A. officials’ decision in 2005 to destroy videotapes documenting interrogations of Abu Zubaydah and Mr. Nashiri.

The inspector general’s staff reviewed the 92 tapes before they were destroyed, and the report released Monday revealed that 11 of the videotapes were entirely blank and that two others were almost blank. The report does not indicate whether the videotapes were erased by C.I.A officers.

David Johnston contributed reporting.

Source

This is what makes some of the world hate us, this is what makes some of us not much better than the scum that these efforts supposedly helps to catch.

:banghead:

2minkey

bootlicker
what is about "suggestions about sexually assaulting members of a detainee’s family" that is acceptable IN ANY CONTEXT?

catocom

Threatening is not torture.
If it was we wouldn't have any actors much.

If you think any family isn't threaten atm in todays atmosphere,
you must be way off in the woods.

Professur

I do find it comical that these and many, many worse things are done by everyone from school yard bullies to foreign countries pretty much on a daily basis, ... but

This is what makes some of the world hate us

dude, you're such an innocent.

I do find it comical that these and many, many worse things are done by everyone from school yard bullies to foreign countries pretty much on a daily basis, ... but

dude, you're such an innocent.

Don't be ridiculous! Obviously we know people are sometimes some sick and twisted creatures, but we "Americans" seem to hold ourselves as more civilized than other countries, and crap like this is the hypocrisy among valid reasons for other folks in this world to hate us. It should give Americans pause about their pathetic better than attitudes as well, but unfortunately it doesn't. The myth that we are better than the rest of the free world is just that, a myth. Maybe we had something in the beginning, but many countries in Europe and others have surpassed us in freedoms and basic humanity.

I'm not saying there isn't much that is good about this country and even much to be proud of, but any half way conscious and reasonably intelligent American should be able to see this, among other things as valid complaints that the rest of the world has. Otherwise count yourself a moron, or intentionally obtuse!

Neil Young said:
There's colors on the street
Red, white and blue
People shufflin' their feet
People sleepin' in their shoes
But there's a warnin' sign on the road ahead
There's a lot of people sayin' we'd be better off dead
Don't feel like Satan, but I am to them
So I try to forget it, any way I can.

Keep on rockin' in the free world,
Keep on rockin' in the free world
Keep on rockin' in the free world.

I see a woman in the night
With a baby in her hand
Under an old street light
Near a garbage can
Now she puts the kid away, and she's gone to get a hit
She hates her life, and what she's done to it
There's one more kid that will never go to school
Never get to fall in love, never get to be cool.

Keep on rockin' in the free world.

We got a thousand points of light
For the homeless man
We got a kinder, gentler,
Machine gun hand

We got department stores and toilet paper
Got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer
Got a man of the people, says keep hope alive
Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive.

Oh and calling me an innocent, are you being intentionally obtuse? I have participated in drug trafficking, kidnappings, planning serious violence, and attempted murders (although that is only a potential misunderstanding that I could have been charged with).

Yeah right, me an innocent! I just think if we are going to walk around thinking we are on some moral high ground we ought to act like it!

2minkey

bootlicker
Threatening is not torture.
If it was we wouldn't have any actors much.

If you think any family isn't threaten atm in todays atmosphere,
you must be way off in the woods.

right. so it's okay then.

"if you don't tell us what your cousin achmed is up to, the US military is going to saturation bomb your village."

slightly more threatening that a pimply faced 5th grader threatening to punch you by the merry-go-round, perhaps?

then i suppose confessions obtained under duress should be handled in the same way that voluntary ones are, too.

looking any way to rationalize the bad behavior of the guys on the home team, eh?

sad, sad, sad...

What the fuck is wrong with sodium amytal? I would be far more understanding if they just used that stuff than out and out cruelty!

Professur

Don't be ridiculous! Obviously we know people are sometimes some sick and twisted creatures, but we "Americans" seem to hold ourselves as more civilized than other countries, and crap like this is the hypocrisy among valid reasons for other folks in this world to hate us. It should give Americans pause about their pathetic better than attitudes as well, but unfortunately it doesn't. The myth that we are better than the rest of the free world is just that, a myth. Maybe we had something in the beginning, but many countries in Europe and others have surpassed us in freedoms and basic humanity.

I'm not saying there isn't much that is good about this country and even much to be proud of, but any half way conscious and reasonably intelligent American should be able to see this, among other things as valid complaints that the rest of the world has. Otherwise count yourself a moron, or intentionally obtuse!

See that bolded bit? That is why the world hates Americans. Hell, what's being called torture here is a day at the park for people in many countries. For actual enemy infiltrators and combatants ... it's a joke.

Personally, as far as national security goes (and please remember, I'm not an American) this stuff is pretty low key. Granted, you couldn't justify escalating without some actual proof against the guy, but this level of 'inquisition' IMHO would be 'reasonable' for a guy 'caught at the scene'.

And Minkey ... Grade 5 victims of bullies have been known to suicide. This isn't a case for Justice ... it's a case for National Security. Most countries accept that they're not the same thing.

Professur

The problem with truth serums are ... they're not all that effective on people who know how to resist it. It's a lot like trying to get information out of a drunk.

See that bolded bit? That is why the world hates Americans. Hell, what's being called torture here is a day at the park for people in many countries. For actual enemy infiltrators and combatants ... it's a joke.

Personally, as far as national security goes (and please remember, I'm not an American) this stuff is pretty low key. Granted, you couldn't justify escalating without some actual proof against the guy, but this level of 'inquisition' IMHO would be 'reasonable' for a guy 'caught at the scene'.

And Minkey ... Grade 5 victims of bullies have been known to suicide. This isn't a case for Justice ... it's a case for National Security. Most countries accept that they're not the same thing.

Because of it's ridiculous hypocrisy! If we stopped thinking and proclaiming ourselves to be that, and just start acting like it instead, we might actually make some headway. God you are so American and nationalistic for a foreigner!

catocom

What the fuck is wrong with sodium amytal? I would be far more understanding if they just used that stuff than out and out cruelty!

that's you.
people are different. That's why there different methods.

These people don't think the same why in some respects, just as
you and I don't.
They are more willing to kill over it, so you have to get into their world
some to make them understand, or cooperate at least.

that's just nature at some point.

Cerise

Saaaayyyy......these aren't the same "enhanced interrogation techniques" that Nancy Pelosi and some members of congress knew about, are they??

Smell that? There's fear in the air. 0bama's approval numbers are sinking, 0bamacare is getting rejected by the people, and the only answer is to drag out the ol' "investigate Booooosh" routine.

My bet is that a large number of the American people aren't going to be too happy about attacking the people that kept us safe the last for 8 years.

Oh, and then there's this:

This is a Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA") Request pursuant to 5 USC 552 seeking records to Central Intelligence Agency ("CIA") briefings of congressional leaders on "enhanced interrogation" techniques used on certain detainees. Landmark Legal Foundation ("Landmark") respectfully requests expedited processing and a waiver of fees associated with this request as set forth below and in an accompanying memorandum.

It's gonna be fun. Bring it.

I can forget Neil Young hates this country long long enough to listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v5E27Fp59c

tin-foil-hat.jpg

THE SKY IS FALLING!

Random lunatic fringe right-wing delusion points....

BTW, Neil Young doesn't hate this country one tenth as much as you do! In fact I'm quite sure he loves this country and his right to speak freely about it!

:usa:

:flame:

Professur

Sadly, you all probably love 'your country'. The sad part is that "your country" either never actually existed, hasn't existed in some time, or never will exist. It's THEIR country. Always has been, always will be. Just take a look at how disparate your views on 'your country' are, when you all live in the same place. Doesn't that declare louder than words that none of you are "seeing the elephant"?

Cerise

I'm sure as a Canadian citizen he loves the fact that he was able to come to the U.S. and launch his career and yet still bitch about the country that allowed him his success. :shrug:

Well at least I know a bit about the guy, being as he keeps (or kept, as I don't pay as much attention to other people's business as most folks) his boat within spitting distance of here....

Can YOU say you ever had a beer with the guy?