Oh, nice one Dubya and Trickier Dickhead!

spike

My bet is that a large number of the American people aren't going to be too happy about attacking the people that kept us safe the last for 8 years.

I know the Bushbots don't care if he broke the law while making us less safe for the last 8 years but then rational people are going to prosecute any crimes.

spike

UPDATE II: To those blithely dismissing all of this as things that don't seem particularly bothersome, I'd say two things:

(1) The fact that we are not really bothered any more by taking helpless detainees in our custody and (a) threatening to blow their brains out, torture them with drills, rape their mothers, and murder their children; (b) choking them until they pass out; (c) pouring water down their throats to drown them; (d) hanging them by their arms until their shoulders are dislocated; (e) blowing smoke in their face until they vomit; (f) putting them in diapers, dousing them with cold water, and leaving them on a concrete floor to induce hypothermia; and (g) beating them with the butt of a rifle -- all things that we have always condemend as "torture" and which our laws explicitly criminalize as felonies ("torture means. . . the threat of imminent death; or the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering . . .") -- reveals better than all the words in the world could how degraded, barbaric and depraved a society becomes when it lifts the taboo on torturing captives.

(2) As I wrote rather clearly, numerous detainees died in U.S. custody, often as a direct result of our "interrogation methods." Those who doubt that can read the details here and here. Those claiming there was no physical harm are simply lying -- death qualifies as "physical harm" -- and those who oppose prosecutions are advocating that the people responsible literally be allowed to get away with murder.

Finally, as for the title of this post: it was just a way of expressing the view that Americans who want to justify or endorse the torture we engaged in should be required to know what was actually done -- not hide behind the comforting myth that "all we did was pour some water down the noses of 3 bad guys"; I wasn't trying to propose a new law compelling that every citizen read the IG Report.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/08/24/ig_report/

Cerise

.....rational people are going to prosecute any crimes.

Crimes?

Pelosi knew about the "enhanced interrogation techniques" and said nothing.

She should step down!!

And the proof will be soon be made public: http://www.landmarklegal.org/uploads/CIAScannedFOIA.pdf

Hill Briefed on Waterboarding in 2002
In Meetings, Spy Panels' Chiefs Did Not Protest, Officials Say

In September 2002, four members of Congress met in secret for a first look at a unique CIA program designed to wring vital information from reticent terrorism suspects in U.S. custody. For more than an hour, the bipartisan group, which included current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), was given a virtual tour of the CIA's overseas detention sites and the harsh techniques interrogators had devised to try to make their prisoners talk.

Among the techniques described, said two officials present, was waterboarding, a practice that years later would be condemned as torture by Democrats and some Republicans on Capitol Hill. But on that day, no objections were raised. Instead, at least two lawmakers in the room asked the CIA to push harder, two U.S. officials said.

"The briefer was specifically asked if the methods were tough enough," said a U.S. official who witnessed the exchange.

This attempt to draw attention from 0bama's failure to socialize healthcare is only going to bring his numbers down further.

catocom

Sadly, you all probably love 'your country'. The sad part is that "your country" either never actually existed, hasn't existed in some time, or never will exist. It's THEIR country. Always has been, always will be. Just take a look at how disparate your views on 'your country' are, when you all live in the same place. Doesn't that declare louder than words that none of you are "seeing the elephant"?

unfortunately money talks, in any system.
That's why 'values' are so important, and oversight.

we had laws and values as a majority the worked pretty well at times.
Laziness, can bring down any society.
The main problem atm is the politicians are telling people that they have
to do things that they won't do themselves.

spike

Crimes?

Pelosi knew about the "enhanced interrogation techniques" and said nothing.

She should step down!!...

If Pelosi actually knew what Bush and Cheney were doing then perhaps they should all be jailed. Sounds fair right?

Professur

I do have one serious question: Is there anyone here gullible enough to believe that this only happened during the Bush administration? That neither Clinton nor, Reagan, Bush Sr, Nixon .... Adams, Madison, Lincoln ... none of them ever stood by while someone's arm was broken for information? Does anyone seriously believe that?

Cerise

Why should they all be jailed? Did they commit some kind of crime?

It's not "what Bush and Cheney were doing." It's "what Congress allowed them to do."

The left is being hypocritical by denouncing the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" when apparently some in congress, including the speaker of the house herself, knew about them.

Pelosi lied about knowing, and she should step down.

I do have one serious question: Is there anyone here gullible enough to believe that this only happened during the Bush administration? That neither Clinton nor, Reagan, Bush Sr, Nixon .... Adams, Madison, Lincoln ... none of them ever stood by while someone's arm was broken for information? Does anyone seriously believe that?

Joke of the day:

markjs/randomJACKASS said:
I'm not, but the point is, that when it is exposed, it should be stopped and those responsible should be held accountable!

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl3: :rofl4:

As if that would ever happen!

Cerise

Pretending someone nearby was dead
Making a noise of a gun being loaded
Making a power drill noise
Blowing smoke in a face
Verbally threatening a terrorist's family

smdemocrat.jpg

Why should they all be jailed? Did they commit some kind of crime?

It's not "what Bush and Cheney were doing." It's "what Congress allowed them to do."

The left is being hypocritical by denouncing the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques" when apparently some in congress, including the speaker of the house herself, knew about them.

Pelosi lied about knowing, and she should step down.

You never cease to amaze with your ability to be a masterful rationalizer, justifier and apologist for your heroes. I imagine you have probably convinced yourself the Bush administration was appointed by God and that the whole democratic party prays to Satan....

Why you would want to live with such vile venom and delusional paranoid thinking is beyond me. If I suffered like that, it would either be go get help for it, or kill myself, either all at once or on the installment plan. I rarely feel this way, but if you really believe the things you say here I pity you, I truly do!

Cerise

Cheney's statement on CIA investigation:

The documents released Monday clearly demonstrate that the individuals subjected to Enhanced Interrogation Techniques provided the bulk of intelligence we gained about al Qaeda. This intelligence saved lives and prevented terrorist attacks.

These detainees also, according to the documents, played a role in nearly every capture of al Qaeda members and associates since 2002. The activities of the CIA in carrying out the policies of the Bush Administration were directly responsible for defeating all efforts by al Qaeda to launch further mass casualty attacks against the United States. The people involved deserve our gratitude. They do not deserve to be the targets of political investigations or prosecutions.

President Obama’s decision to allow the Justice Department to investigate and possibly prosecute CIA personnel, and his decision to remove authority for interrogation from the CIA to the White House, serves as a reminder, if any were needed, of why so many Americans have doubts about this Administration’s ability to be responsible for our nation’s security.

:bgtup:

Professur

Pretending someone nearby was dead
Making a noise of a gun being loaded
Making a power drill noise
Blowing smoke in a face
Verbally threatening a terrorist's family

alleged terrorists, at this point, I think. Frankly, if we're discussing a 'proven' terrorist ... all bets are off. Int'l law is clear on the point that ununiformed combatants are unprotected by even the simplest forms of protections. Spies and saboteurs don't even get the protections accorded to livestock.

Likewise, I can't see someone subjected to this for the fun of it. I'd like to know what links are considered enough to warrant subjected a suspect to this form of interrogation. Certainly there must be some. THAT would be a point of discussion for us.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
As soon as threse threats become realities, let me know. Then I'll be concerned.

spike

Nope, it's both. If crimes were committed then those who committed the crimes and anyone who knowingly allowed them to should all be held responsible.