Oil spill progression

valkyrie

I agree. Before everyone expends the effort to position themselves so that blame is shifted the focus should be...
STOPPING THE FUCKING FLOW OF OIL INTO THE DAMN GULF OF MEXICO!!!
Crissakes... people are stupid. :rolleyes:

MrBishop

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/disaster_unfolds_slowly_in_the.html

The Spill in pictures.
o31_23303705.jpg

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'm at a loss. People keep discussing (not necessarily here) this event as if BP were doing nothing to solve it. Also, I hear something about Obama wanting a tax on every barrel of oil, to assit paying for the clean-up (which is, or will be paid by BP) & calling for tighter regulations on drilling in the Gulf.

Isn't BP British Petroleum? British isn't American. If our idiot legislators decide to further regulate oil drilling in the Gulf, what are going to do about China drilling there? How about the other 40 or so nations with rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (international waters)? Keep spouting about enegy independence & keep lawyering our way away from it.

spike

I'm at a loss. People keep discussing (not necessarily here) this event as if BP were doing nothing to solve it.

I don't know who say that. They're trying, they just look like bumbling fools.

Also, I hear something about Obama wanting a tax on every barrel of oil, to assit paying for the clean-up (which is, or will be paid by BP) & calling for tighter regulations on drilling in the Gulf.

Isn't BP British Petroleum? British isn't American. If our idiot legislators decide to further regulate oil drilling in the Gulf, what are going to do about China drilling there?

It would be idiotic not to tighten regulations to keep this from happening again. China isn't drilling there. If we lease drilling rights to British or Chinese companies then we can regulate how they operate there.

How about the other 40 or so nations with rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (international waters)? Keep spouting about enegy independence & keep lawyering our way away from it.

I don't know how many nations have leased drilling rights but it's not exactly international waters. As far as I know there's maritime boundaries between the US and Cuba. It's not like just anyone can come in and drill wherever they want.

Regulations to prevent oil spills does not decrease our energy independence. In fact all that lost oil probably would have helped.

valkyrie

I'm at a loss. People keep discussing (not necessarily here) this event as if BP were doing nothing to solve it. Also, I hear something about Obama wanting a tax on every barrel of oil, to assit paying for the clean-up (which is, or will be paid by BP) & calling for tighter regulations on drilling in the Gulf.

Isn't BP British Petroleum? British isn't American. If our idiot legislators decide to further regulate oil drilling in the Gulf, what are going to do about China drilling there? How about the other 40 or so nations with rigs in the Gulf of Mexico (international waters)? Keep spouting about enegy independence & keep lawyering our way away from it.
Who is saying BP isn't doing anything to solve the problem?

Would like to see the link to the new tax on oil proposed, please. I haven't heard this yet.

catocom

I dunno...It could actually present an opportunity, if they might be
able to use a hurricane to disburse.
Maybe inject some biochemical of something.

MrBishop

A hurricane will do two things that you certainly won't want to happen and one that won't help... drive the waves inland (and the oil with it) and pickup and fling oily water onto the streets and fields near the shore. At least the oil won't be congregated in the middle of the gulf anymore...and drive the skimmer boats away from the site while disrupting the booms - the chem-disbursement planes won't be able to operate either.

It's lose-lose all around :(

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A hurricane might not hurt. The more agitated the seawater which gets mixed with oil, the less dense the oil is.

valkyrie

Toss in some vinegar and seasonings and you have a salad dressing!

Heh... kidding!

They have to come up with a new dispersal chemical because the one their using is too toxic.

catocom

yeah....what happened to all the GOOD chemists?
Oh, that's right....colleges gettin whacked.

ResearchMonkey

What the big deal? BP can easily pay for all the clean-up. All they have to do stop paying pensions and union benefits, claim to big to fail and have Obama give them the money they need to keep the unions happy.

Unions exclusively can do all the clean-up too.

oilbama2sm.png

It all just Obama money.