OTC BBQ 7/1-2/06

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Oh, what's this 10 to the 50 from the civic centre

Man, this is Atlanta. More specifically, it's Cobb County. Nobody knows the public transportation system here, because it's only used by the 4% of residents who don't own cars.

Professur

Closest I can get is the corner of Delk and Powers Ferry. I make it about a 10 minute walk in from there. I'll have to work out the timing later.

Can you transfer from the Marta to the CCT or do you have to pay again? Does the Visitor's pass on the Marta work on the CCT? How are they on taking bikes on the busses? Here many busses have (had?) bike racks attached to the front to allow bikers to take the bus without having to drag the bike into the bus at rush hour.

Edit:
If you are riding both CCT and MARTA, you will pay the one-way CCT fare and transfer free to MARTA. For the return trip, you will pay the one-way MARTA fare and transfer free to CCT. To board CCT at MARTA stations, you must pay the MARTA fare

Bicycles are not allowed on the inside of buses. They are allowed on the bike racks located on the outside front of the bus. Racks can accommodate two bicycles

Professur

Now I'm all curious. Gimme a minute to see if I can pull it off from Stone Mountain. Who knows, I might be able to drink this year after all

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Closest I can get is the corner of Delk and Powers Ferry. I make it about a 10 minute walk in from there. I'll have to work out the timing later.

Can you transfer from the Marta to the CCT or do you have to pay again? Does the Visitor's pass on the Marta work on the CCT? How are they on taking bikes on the busses? Here many busses have (had?) bike racks attached to the front to allow bikers to take the bus without having to drag the bike into the bus at rush hour.

Man, read my post above. Fuck if I know.

Professur

Read it after I'd posted.
I could make it from SM in, but with all the transfers, it'd be cheaper to get a cab.

I'm actually a bit stunned at how simplistic and limitted your subway is. Only 2 lines and 38 stations. To borrow a phrase from their own website "Atlanta traffic congestion is legendary, " Well, not to sound arrogant, but they could clear up that legendary congestion with a substantial investment in their underground.

But then, I'm sure it's lots easier to convince people with a real winter that warm, dry metro lines are better than slogging it out and waiting for busses.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
I'm actually a bit stunned at how simplistic and limitted your subway is. Only 2 lines and 38 stations. To borrow a phrase from their own website "Atlanta traffic congestion is legendary, " Well, not to sound arrogant, but they could clear up that legendary congestion with a substantial investment in their underground.

But then, I'm sure it's lots easier to convince people with a real winter that warm, dry metro lines are better than slogging it out and waiting for busses.

That's exactly it. They could expand it, but they probably wouldn't get any more riders anyhow. In addition, when they do expand it, they do it stupidly. Rather than put a station 10-15 miles up Georgia 400 where it's needed, they build it 3-4 miles outside the perimeter. Well, shit, if you're gonna drive that far in, you may as well complete the trip.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
Given Atlanta's crime rate, I'll stay in my car above ground if it's all the same.

Again, with the right investment, you could head that off. High mounted cameras and uniformed, armed guards/police riding the system are hard to beat. Keep the stations open plan, without little nooks and crannies, and you can see from one end to the other.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
HomeLAN said:
Just stay off the south side, and you should be fine.

Got me to thinking.

Ask most folks in and around these parts, and they'd tell you to stay out of South Greene and you'll be fine. They might use the local phrases Rock Batter or Camp Creek or even Kelley Gap, but it's all the same area.

I live in South Greene. On Kelley Gap. I feel positively safe.

I don't correct them, though. I actually build the myth every chance I get. Keeps folks out of here. Keeps 'em in town, where they belong and where I want 'em.

HomeLAN

Yeah. Airport itself is OK, but you don't want to go traipsing around that neighborhood. I picked up a sister-in-law once who hated to fly so much that she insisted we stop and buy some booze for the ride home at a liqour store right near the airport.

I kept reaching for a gun I wasn't carrying.

Inkara1

I'm battle-hardened from Fresno. After the liquor store closest to the office the Dish Network operation I worked at was based out of, I don't think any liquor store could scare me.

HomeLAN

Three weeks, friends and neighbors. Is this list still accurate?

So far I have:
HomeLAN
Unc, tonksy, and family
Professur and family
Inkara1
Stop Laughing
Slim, simplyred, and family
Catocom
Kruz (probably)