OTC BBQ!!!

Inkara1

*sopt-checks Expedia for a flight leaving Friday, August 13, 2004 from LAX to ATL, and returning on Tuesday, August 17* Hmm... cheapest round-trip they got is $363... *ckecks again, same days, leaving from San Luis Obispo so I don't have to drive 4 hours to LAX and pay big to long-term park the car* ...cheapest is $506.

Hmm... I'll have to think about this. If I can get my car to average 30 miles to the gallon (I think I can do it if it's all freeway miles), and figure gas at $2.15 a gallon, for a 2400 mile trip one way... gas for the round-trip would cost $344.

Of course, if this were near a holiday airfare would probably go up a good bit. I think knowing the date of the get-together would play a big part in whether I fly and bug one of you for a ride from and to the airport, or if I drive. No telling how much they would want to rent me a car since I won't be 25 yet.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
hmmm thinks atlanta isnt that far away from me. and has told rob and steve the next time im headed to FL i would try and stop by. Course id bring lots of homemade wine and such. Plus the backseats of the bravada fold down nicely to form a nice sleeping area. :)

Me also thinks rob HAS to keep his pants on...eiwwww

Rose

Inkara1 said:
*sopt-checks Expedia for a flight leaving Friday, August 13, 2004 from LAX to ATL, and returning on Tuesday, August 17* Hmm... cheapest round-trip they got is $363... *ckecks again, same days, leaving from San Luis Obispo so I don't have to drive 4 hours to LAX and pay big to long-term park the car* ...cheapest is $506.

Hmm... I'll have to think about this. If I can get my car to average 30 miles to the gallon (I think I can do it if it's all freeway miles), and figure gas at $2.15 a gallon, for a 2400 mile trip one way... gas for the round-trip would cost $344.

Of course, if this were near a holiday airfare would probably go up a good bit. I think knowing the date of the get-together would play a big part in whether I fly and bug one of you for a ride from and to the airport, or if I drive. No telling how much they would want to rent me a car since I won't be 25 yet.

When comparing prices between flying and driving, gas will be the biggest price factor in driving. But don't forget to also figure in the physical stress driving will put on your body (how many hours drive?). Also all the stops and money needed at stops including water/pop/coffee, snacks, meals on the road ...

chcr

Too cute for words
Inky if you fly Southwest into Nashville (I guess they don't fly to Atlanta?) and buy at least a week in advance, you can do it for $277. That might leave enough to rent a car (four hour drive, give or take) or you might be able to impose on a Nashville area member (with a swimming pool that's always open by Memorial day and a guest room) to pick you up and give you a ride to Atlanta. We'll probably stay at a hotel ourselves, but I'm sure unc or someone can make room.

HomeLAN

Lots of hidden costs to driving that distance. Wear-and tear issues among them.

Shall we extend a tentative schedule of Memorial Day? It's a starting point. Talk it out. I'll start a new thread.

unclehobart

You could also rerun the flying math to Birmingham to see if it comes in waaay cheaper. Sometimes the 2nd tier cities seem to be massively cheap.

Another hidden cost is a lost week to sheer driving. Time away from work is cash out of the pocket.

Raven

Annoying SOB
oooooh!!! I am SO there.....my plane leaves in three days.... WOOOO!

Looking forward to this bish!

Inkara1

unclehobart said:
Another hidden cost a lost week to sheer driving. Time away from work is cash out of the pocket.
That's why I keep pushing for a date after mid-June. I'll have a week of paid vacation time... so it wouldn't be cash out of my pocket, and I need that cash in my pocket.

Professur

HomeLAN said:
Lots of hidden costs to driving that distance. Wear-and tear issues among them.

Tell me about it. One summer vacation, I had to stop twice for unexpected mechanical repairs. Tires, if you can believe that. Musta hit a pothole or summat. Threw out the alignment and munched the tires at about ten times the norm. Had to replace the front 2 in Maine, and the rears in PEI. Never would have believed it. Thank Gawd for my backup, emergency, don't touch this, stash of cash.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
MrBishop said:
I'm already feeling it. I get to pack JAG into a car right after work and drive (just me and him) to Petawawa..which is normally a 4hour drive, but will end up being a 5 - 5 1/2 hour drive before its over. Then...I have to deal with 2 nights (without the benefit of breastfeeding), two days and a trip back. :shiver:

Isn't JAG like...2 or more?? He still breastfeeds?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
a couple of mine did.

at that age though, a couple nights away might actually be a good point to break it if the wifey is ready.

MrBishop

Leslie said:
a couple of mine did.

at that age though, a couple nights away might actually be a good point to break it if the wifey is ready.

He's been reduced...only at night, and not even all the time. Now it's "appal aah" - the aah meaning anything that's drunk (The aah sound is what he makes right after drinking anything). Give us another month and he'll be off Momma's milk. :)

tonksy

malory nursed until about 1 3/4 years old when i abruptly cut her off. the pediatricians say to nurse until 2 years old but she was just too rough.

Professur

The usual is to cut them off when the teeth break. If you don't, you risk them having their teeth rot. Drinking milk might give them strong bones and teeth. But sleeping all night with milk around their gums sure doesn't.

MrBishop

Professur said:
The usual is to cut them off when the teeth break. If you don't, you risk them having their teeth rot. Drinking milk might give them strong bones and teeth. But sleeping all night with milk around their gums sure doesn't.

Hunh? Saliva...say it with me...saliva. Washes away milk in the mouth, helps digest that which it doesn't wash away.

Any amount of breastfeeding is good. Breastfeeding for the first year of life is best, but even a few weeks of breastfeeding is better than none.
Breastfed babies have fewer allergies, less constipation or diarrhea, and less stomach upsets.

Babies who receive breastmilk for the first four months of life have 50% fewer ear infections than infants who receive formula. It is especially beneficial to give the baby breastmilk during the first six months of life while the gastrointestinal tract is maturing.

The breastfeeding mother also benefits. Women who breastfeed lower their risk of ovarian and breast cancer. Adults who were breastfed as infants have less risk of developing diabetes and heart disease.

Ideally, breastfeeding should continue throughout the first year of life. However, the nutritional and psychological benefits continue beyond the first year. It is up to each mother to decide when to wean. World wide, the average age for weaning is four years
Source

Professur

MrBishop said:
There's a reason that it's called Baby-bottle syndrome and not breast-feeding syndrome.

V2.0 was breast fed, not bottle. It's called baby bottle syndrome, because it's usually found in bottle fed babies. Since bottle fed babies usually get a bottle to sleep with. But it's hardly exclusive. Most breast fed babies don't get it, because

The usual is to cut them off when the teeth break