*pffff* *feathers flying*

kuulani

oh, so we can all talk lightly about squishing birds, chickens, quails, partridges, seagulls, and the like ...

greenfreak

I know we make light of stuff here but I would feel bad if I killed anything... bird, racoon, dog, whatever. I hadn't responded yet because I don't think it's funny-but that's just me. I'm on an island so there are seagulls everywhere and I've had a few close calls-I always see them dead on the road along with Canadian geese. :(

My ex-bf hit a fawn with me in the car and I went hysterical. I surprised myself-I didn't think I'd react that way. I would probably be as upset if it was a dog... But you know how I feel about dogs. :)

nalani

well, you know it's not as if we go around aiming to hit animals. If there's a dog that jumps out in front of my car, I'm gonna hit that dog before I attempt to vere and hit something or someone else....

nalani

*hits stop*
*rewind*

I take that back ... we do aim for the mongooses .. but that's because .. well .. they're mongooses ...

HomeLAN

I've never hit anything, but I had a deer hit me once. Was cruising along at about 50 and the damn thing ran out of the woods and slammed into the side of my car. Went back to see if it was hurt, but it had taken off.

greenfreak

nalani said:
well, you know it's not as if we go around aiming to hit animals. If there's a dog that jumps out in front of my car, I'm gonna hit that dog before I attempt to vere and hit something or someone else....

It looks as though you don't care as much about animals as other people do, and think it's funny when you kill one on the road, and some of us don't. I'm not going to try to change your mind or anything, I just don't agree, that's all. If someone killed my beloved pet on the road, and I found they were nonchalant about it, I would go crazy.

I have to say though, that with the way you feel your land is sacred, I'm surprised that the animals that live on it aren't included. You try not to encroach on the pristine conditions of your home but don't apply that to the animals that inhabit it with you. I'm being honest here, I never understood that. Sure, dogs are domesticated but I guess I just thought that the boundless love you have for your family, your home, and your heritage would extend to all beings. It just makes me really surprised when I hear that killing a bird or a dog is of no consequence. Please don't be mad with me-you know I've always appreciated you two and everything that you believe in. This is something that I believe in, and I'm explaining my feelings and I hope you appreciate that too. :)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Greenie, I've got three dogs, the one to your left here is my favorite, he has been with me through the greatest moments of my life, and the shittiest. But I would not expect anyone to run their car off the road to avoid hitting his dumbass if he was standing in the middle of it.

greenfreak

Btw, thank you for making him your av. He's my favorite too. :)

I want three labs-yellow, black and chocolate. He makes me think of a yellow lab. We were considering being 'foster parents' to labs awaiting adoption in a local 'lab rescue group' but our fence wouldn't keep them inside. We're going to have to wait till we get a house. :(

edit to add:

I would expect a driver to avoid hitting *anything* in the road. Not at risk to your own life, of course, but why hit a dog if you can go around it? And if you can't avoid that dog, and you do hit it, are you just going to keep driving and not give it a second thought? Not me. (Na, I'm not saying you would-I don't know what you would do.)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I was going to do the same thing, Foster parent dogs, but decided we'd just end up adopting them all and have 50 dogs hanging around in no time, so... We've got three, all three from the local pound. They still call us when the get a brown dog, must think we have some fascination with them.

greenfreak

I would probably want to keep them too. I just want to do something with them before we actually adopt them. I was thinking about volunteering at a local shelter but I don't know when I'd have the time or if they would even want volunteers. I'd probably end up cleaning doggie doo all day and not get to walk them or play with all the doggies. :grumpy: :D

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
It's never funny when you kill an animal. I couldn't even joke about it. In saying that, I also want to say that I would not risk my life or others in the vehicle with me to avoid hitting an animal should it be on the road.

kuulani

greenie, i know how you feel about animals and i appreciate your honesty about how you feel about our feelings.

it may sound nonchalant. but that's not the case. when i hit that dog on the road, i was screaming my head off in the car, and i had to pull over. when i turned around, the dog had gone, i didn't know where, it was dark and rainy and i couldn't see where it had gone. i happened to be 5 minutes from nalani's mom's house at the time, and i stopped there to calm myself down.

i was driving on a main road at the time. it would've been dangerous to swerve, even if i had time to react and swerve. plus, why isn't a dog that is living near a main road leashed or gated? 'tis the fault of the owners, imho.

it's easy to talk and yes, i admit, laugh about it now. but it wasn't so when it happened.

nalani

greenie - I appreciate your honesty and I do understand the way you feel about animals. I've never hit a dog, but I was in a car that hit a wild baby pig that ran out of the forest. Like ku'u said, it's easy to talk about those things now but at the time, we stopped, grabbed the pig, and went to every house trying to find out if that was someone's pet that got out of its cage. When no one claimed it, we buried it. I know by reading some of my remarks, you might think I feel nothing for animals but I do. I may not be as passionate as other people are about animals, but I've had pets. And I've cried when each of them died.

My point about the dog was that if I'm driving along, and a dog runs in the road, before I endanger the lives of other people on the road or the people in my car by swerving, I'm going to hit that dog first. Here we have two lane roads with houses right next to the road. For the most part, "going around" isn't an option without hitting someone or something. A person's first instinct is to swerve and avoid anything in the road but if I had to choose between hitting a dog and hitting another car or running off the road (which, here on the island "off the road" often times means "off the cliff"), I'll choose hitting the dog. And no, I wouldn't just leave it there.

Professur

Just to sidetrack what's turning into an akward moment, the missus had to learn to kill this vacation. Fish. She wanted them for supper, so she had to kill them and clean them. She finally settled for bashing their heads in on the boat's bench. I had to check it for damage after the last perch got thwapped. She'd hit it so hard, I was sure she'd cracked the boat. but the first couple of times, she'd only stunned them a little and they started flopping about again. She'd started thinking that they'd never stop. Once she'd made the leap from cute little fishies to supper, the killing stopped bothering her. I might take her hunting one of these years. But she'll have to learn to drink, burp and fart.