*pffff* *feathers flying*

greenfreak

Thank you Ku'u and Na for that. This could have easily been an all out fight and I'm glad we don't do that :)

Yes, my geography here is quite a bit different than yours... Long Island as a whole is completely flat and NY tends to have pretty big roads... So when it comes to avoiding anything in the road, I guess it's not as difficult. I have had a few close calls with animals/birds and did hit the brakes or swerve, but I knew it was safe to do so.

Somewhat off topic--I was driving home from work the other night and everyone in the right lane kept swerving around something but because everyone was pretty much tailgating each other, they didn't have alot of reaction time. It was a mattress. About a mile ahead, I saw the car it came from pulled over on the side of the road. :rolleyes:

Stop Laughing

I've watched cars try to dogde a trash can rolling in the street with high winds pushing it back and forth between the two lanes. The funny thing about it was that the owner of the can knocked it over himself as he pulled out of his own driveway and didn't even realize it. :D

ris

i whacked a bird last year, out at my mums. the whole area is full of dumbass pheasants, always running out into the road toward traffic.
i was doing about 50 and this one started walking in front of me, i wasn't stopping, and when it tried to fly off it couldn't get the height and bounced off the front of the bonnet and then hit the windscreen before flipping over the roof.

damn cool, except the bit where it was on the wife's side and she got a full frontal of whacked pheasant :D :D

greenfreak

I saw something yesterday I've never seen before...

I was driving Rusty home from the train station and was trying to cross Park Avenue which has three lanes each way plus a center median with parking in the middle--it's a big road. Almost impossible to cross as a pedestrian in one shot unless you walk really fast or jog it. The lights turn so fast, if we can't make it, we usually just sit in the middle and wait.

There was an old lady crossing but she didn't wait for the light to turn red, she walked right into oncoming traffic. I couldn't move because my light was still red but every time a car screeched to avoid her or veer around her, I screamed. It seemed to take an impossibly long time for her to get to the center median, and five or six cars must have just missed her.

When my light turned green, she still hadn't crossed the whole street and was about to enter oncoming traffic again when a few cars (me included) blocked the road so that the traffic couldn't hit her and we sat there while she walked slowly across the road. No one who was being blocked got mad or beeped--maybe they realized what was going on.

Once she was across, one of the cars parked and a guy got out to talk to her. He was on his cell-I guess he was calling the police. I've never seen someone get hit by a car before and I'm so glad she was ok. We have alot of nursing homes around here and Rusty and I helped an older man who had fallen on the sidewalk once too. He went down hard and had some cuts on his hands and his face. He couldn't remember where he lived so they had an ambulance take him to the hospital to get cleaned up while they tried to figure out who he was. It's so sad, I wonder if these people have anyone to take care of them. :(

Professur

In the great ballgame between civilisation and evolution, that would be a swing and a miss, strike one.