Pictures of home

tonksy

SouthernN'Proud said:
Pretty, but flat. If it ain't got a mountain I ain't stayin' long.

I have family in central FLA...Lake Alfred area. They get gators in the back yard and water moccasins in the house. Any similar problems in your neck of the swamp? :)
i lived a bit close to the city for gators but they were not uncommon. we got crawfish holes all over the yard when it was wet....which was often.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
Pretty, but flat. If it ain't got a mountain I ain't stayin' long.

I have family in central FLA...Lake Alfred area. They get gators in the back yard and water moccasins in the house. Any similar problems in your neck of the swamp? :)

I'm sort of the same, but with me it's horizons. Iritate the fuck outta me, dunno why. When I was in Ireland, it's all old, rolling hills, long and slow. I just could not get confortable. Now stick me either in a forest, or a city, and I'm happy. But if I can see sky and land meeting, I wanna be somewhere else.

Oddly, tho. Sky and sea don't bother me.

HomeLAN

SouthernN'Proud said:
Lan, how far are you from Raybun County? I would really like to go there someday and tour the Foxfire facilities and surrounding area.

The spouse and I have considered a weekend jaunt to either Raybun County or Helen Georgia. Also, we thought about going to Chattanooga and then down into some places in extreme north GA...very beautiful area. Any suggestions?

One final thing...thank you so much for the Stone Mountain shot. It's a travesty that the monument itself is no longer part of the guided tour. When we start bending to the pressure and denying our own history, we can start the death clock ticking on our very culture.

Rabun's a ways. I'm all gthe way own in Cobb, and when I go north, it's to visit Mom in Fannin County (a couple to the West of Rabun).

If you're looking for a weekend getaway with the wife person, Helen's OK, although I understand it's getting quite touristy. My highest recommendation for that type of deal is this:

http://www.cohuttalodge.com/

The drive's not that much farther either. Isolated, first class, and gorgeous. Book it early.

Starya

Æ e norlænning æ...

sv2.jpg

stamsund2.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words
Long Point State Park on Cayuga Lake (only furriners call it Lake Cayuga).

attachment.php

What I miss the most is the water sports (the water rarely gets above 70F BTW) and the glacier carved landscape (gorges and waterfalls). What I don't miss at all is shoveling the snow. ;)

BlurOfSerenity

everyone's posting such beautiful areas... it makes me feel inadequate in my central maryland usa suburb! lol.
my house is a cube, surrounded by other cubes. they are all average, nothing extravagant or even remarkable. the land is flat, some hills, trees, water.... i am very close to baltimore where there's a city skyline i'd know anywhere.
despite the lack of breathtaking features... i am quite attatched to my area. i would be content to live here forever.

Inkara1

Professur said:
That red brick house. I so want that.
I don't think I could never live in a house like that. I've been in earthquake country far too long. I'd constantly be afraid of a little ground shaking making the whole place collapse on me, since I'd be willing to bet there's not one single piece of rebar.

One of these days, I'll have to get some shots of my area to show all y'all.

ClaireBear

Banned
There is simply far too many pics of my home town or rather city to post a few so here's an entire site of them...

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=1043-00-0

I'm very very very proud of "The Toon" I'd recommend clicking on the links for

Grey Street
The Keep / Castle Garth
Central Station
The Quayside
ChinaTown (where I was last night!!)
Fog on the Tyne...

Infact all of them! :D

If any of you ever get to travel... get yourselve to Newcastle-Upon-Tyne UK... it really is the best city in the world! But then I'm slightly biased!

There's also some wonderful pictires of the surrounding area.. including the wonderful County Durham (Durham City... where I was a student!) and Northumberland countryside.

http://www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=36-00-0

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
tile.ashx

Aerial photograph of the exact area I grew up in...:eek: I can see my mother's car. :D

pittsburgh.jpg

Closest city to where I grew up...

chcr

Too cute for words
ash r said:
despite the lack of breathtaking features...
Excuse me, but how far are you actually from the Chesapeake Bay? DC? Philadelphia? :rolleyes: Lack of breathtaking features... :rolleyes:

Oh, and PT, only in Iowa would someone even think it was interesting to have a "corn cam."

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
chcr, that waterfall picture is beautiful! I'd like to find me a trail leading up to that...
Which one? the tall one is Taughannock Falls on the East side of the lake (and the hike is as beautiful as the falls), the other is Ithaca Falls and I used to live in an apartment that was a 10 minute walk from there. There are waterfalls everywhere around there, those were just easy to find on the net.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I was talking about the one with the foot bridge in front, but both are exquisite.

I recently purchased a trail guidebook to 30 different waterfalls in the western NC/eastern TN area. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but soon...

BlurOfSerenity

chcr said:
Excuse me, but how far are you actually from the Chesapeake Bay? DC? Philadelphia? :rolleyes: Lack of breathtaking features... :rolleyes:

the bay is nice, but in baltimore's inner harbor where i usually am when i'm around it, there's trash and debris in the water. it's very dirty, and kind of sad.
i don't get down to dc often, it's 45 mins from my house.
i've been to philly twice, maybe three times.

mine is the area of stores, malls, too much housing... farms that used to be near my house are now full of townhomes, the kids of the families living in them go to the overcrowded schools, more schools are built (including one at the end of my quiet residential street, i can see it from my bedroom window) but the overcrowding persists. Elkridge MD is totally different than it was when i was younger.
i'm getting ideas, tho, i can post pictures of my "haunts"... the places where i go. maybe to explain why i love this area so much, despite the overdevelopment.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Leslie said:
we have this thing :blank:

spiritcatcher.jpg
Cool, you have a devil sculpture :D

Onatario is like the opposite of Quebec....there they have a bigass cross on a mountain. In Ontario you have a bigass devil on a hill :D