Pictures of home

chcr

Too cute for words
ash r said:
the bay is nice, but in baltimore's inner harbor where i usually am when i'm around it, there's trash and debris in the water. it's very dirty, and kind of sad.
i don't get down to dc often, it's 45 mins from my house.
i've been to philly twice, maybe three times.

mine is the area of stores, malls, too much housing... farms that used to be near my house are now full of townhomes, the kids of the families living in them go to the overcrowded schools, more schools are built (including one at the end of my quiet residential street, i can see it from my bedroom window) but the overcrowding persists. Elkridge MD is totally different than it was when i was younger.
i'm getting ideas, tho, i can post pictures of my "haunts"... the places where i go. maybe to explain why i love this area so much, despite the overdevelopment.

Well, 45 minutes? And what, about an hour by train to Philly? Live a little. :D

[crochety old man voice]By the way, nothing is the same as it was when I was younger.[/crochety old man voice]

abooja

Lots of Greeks in my area. They were celebrating Greece's victory that got them to the Euro Cup, not calling for the slaughter of Jews. Weird, huh? In an American neighborhood.

unclehobart

Raven,
I'm sure the local tribe of Indians would just love to hear you calling their picaso-esque chief with feathery whatzit and horned hat a devil.

unclehobart

abooja said:
Lots of Greeks in my area. They were celebrating Greece's victory that got them to the Euro Cup, not calling for the slaughter of Jews. Weird, huh? In an American neighborhood.
Is anything in NYC 'American'? Its all little Italy, Chinatown, Jewish district, Jamaica, Russian. How about noho and soho? Anything american there?

abooja

unclehobart said:
Is anything in NYC 'American'? Its all little Italy, Chinatown, Jewish district, Jamaica, Russian. How about noho and soho? Anything american there?
Well, it's all American, isn't it? :)

unclehobart

In one sense, yes. In others, no. A collective identity via exultation of the individual sub groupings seems to be a never ending circular argument. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Its just a puzzling concept.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Raven,
I'm sure the local tribe of Indians would just love to hear you calling their picaso-esque chief with feathery whatzit and horned hat a devil.
well...not quite a chief...it's a Spirit Catcher, something like a Dream Catcher. Lost souls on the lake or summat.

abooja

unclehobart said:
In one sense, yes. In others, no. A collective identity via exultation of the individual sub groupings seems to be a never ending circular argument. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Its just a puzzling concept.
But this is not behavior exclusive to NYC or any one city, is it?

unclehobart

No... certainly not. I just wonder if the Greeks are as frisky in Greece than they are in their immigrant pockets all over the globe. Perhaps it is the localization that gives rise to certain temperments. Is it their very presence in the US that levies that certain joie de vie... or is it a certain spiciness that is akin only to a region, a city, a burrough ... a few square blocks? How much of their culture other than a language, food, and a flag have they retained.

(I'm getting off on a tangent here. Feel free to kick me in the shins)

abooja

unclehobart said:
No... certainly not. I just wonder if the Greeks are as frisky in Greece than they are in their immigrant pockets all over the globe. Perhaps it is the localization that gives rise to certain temperments. Is it their very presence in the US that levies that certain joie de vie... or is it a certain spiciness that is akin only to a region, a city, a burrough ... a few square blocks? How much of their culture other than a language, food, and a flag
I tend to think certain cultures are spicier than others, the Mediterranean ones being spicier than most. Couple that with the tendency of some New Yorkers to be loudmouthed and arrogant in their sports fanaticisms, and a scene like I witnessed that day makes perfect sense.

Of course, I don't remember any such antics when I was a little girl growing up in Brooklyn and Italy won the World Cup. Just a lot of beeping and banging of pots.

tank girl

staffrodore said:
Home
napier.jpg

Our naked lady statue (every town worth it's weight in gold needs one)
napier.jpg

And surrounding areas
NI_Napier.jpg

well well...thats my home too :wink2:

abooja

unclehobart said:
What are the prices like in Brooklyn these days? Real estate prices up there makes my heart skip beats.
My brother's looking to buy a house in a nice part of Brooklyn that'll probably run him nearly 1/2 million when all is said and done. He'll turn part of it into a rental for a short time to offset the cost. As far as rentals are concerned, you can get a relative bargain if you're willing to endure a long commute to Manhattan, where most people work. My own one-bedroom in Queens, which is just minutes from the city and rent-stabilized, is now around $850 a month, a steal for this area. Makes me ill. :disgust2:

abooja

unclehobart said:
$850/month and just minutes from the city? ... jeez ... the square footage must be ... cozy.
My living room/dining room/office/kitchen prep area is 16-1/2' x 11-3/4', my bedroom is 14-1/2' x 10-3/4', and I've got 9' ceilings, but my "kitchen" is hardly 7' x 4-1/2'. Oh, and I've got three closets and six outlets in the whole place. :eh:

unclehobart

Still... thats fantastic. My last apartment was 15 NW into the Atlanta burbs with pretty much the same sizings and whatnot as yours and I was paying $675/month 5 years ago. No linkups to public transport, not close to anything, not in real walking distance of anything other than a backwater mom and pop shop.