Prop 19: Marijuana Legalization Gets its Number in California

catocom

yeah there's all kinds of natural toxins they haven't outlawed, because
there's no money in it....

rose seeds, gypsum weed, mushrooms (until processed and sold), poppies (same),
gasoline, model glue, and not to mention cleaning supplies...

It all comes back to the money eventually, and that's the Main reason they won't legislate it right.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I can see no good coming from legalizing marijuana. It doesn't help enhance security, productivity or the health of anyone. It appears to have severe health effects on long time users. Once legalized, what's next?

On the other hand, is it the governments job to protect us from ourselves? I think that it should be a states right issue, not a fedreal issue. I'm not forced to live in California.

I say go for it. Weaken yourselves some more.

spike

I can see no good coming from legalizing marijuana. It doesn't help enhance security, productivity or the health of anyone. It appears to have severe health effects on long time users.

It has not been shown to have severe health effects unlike cigarettes, alcohol, and transfats. Are you for making those illegal?

Also it has positive health effects for many people.

I say go for it. Weaken yourselves some more.

Actually it would strengthen us. More tax money, less crime, less people in jail for stupid crap.

Prohibition doesn't work, it just causes crime.

Gotholic

There can be negative and positive health effects. It's generally not considered addictive though.

Here's a good explanation
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_marijuana_addictive

More here:
http://www.ehow.com/about_4596355_positive-effects-marijuana.html

Alcohol and cigarettes on the hand...
http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Marijuana3.html

spike, looks like there are negative health effects including addiction.

Those are opinion pieces. What I gave you was far more credible.

Gotholic

It has not been shown to have severe health effects unlike cigarettes

It does have health effect like cigarettes.

How does marijuana use
affect physical health?

Marijuana use has been shown to increase users' difficulty in trying to quit smoking tobacco.38 This was reported in a study comparing smoking cessation in adults who smoked both marijuana and tobacco with those who smoked only tobacco. The relationship between marijuana use and continued smoking was particularly strong in those who smoked marijuana daily at the time of the initial interview, 13 years prior to the followup interview.

A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers do.39 Many of the extra sick days used by the marijuana smokers in the study were for respiratory illnesses.

Even infrequent marijuana use can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, often accompanied by a heavy cough. Someone who smokes marijuana regularly may have many of the same respiratory problems that tobacco smokers do, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illnesses, a heightened risk of lung infections, and a greater tendency toward obstructed airways.4

Cancer of the respiratory tract and lungs may also be promoted by marijuana smoke.4 A study comparing 173 cancer patients and 176 healthy individuals produced strong evidence that smoking marijuana increases the likelihood of developing cancer of the head or neck, and that the more marijuana smoked, the greater the increase.17 A statistical analysis of the data suggested that marijuana smoking doubled or tripled the risk of these cancers.

Marijuana has the potential to promote cancer of the lungs and other parts of the respiratory tract because it contains irritants and carcinogens.40 In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50 percent to 70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than does tobacco smoke.41 It also produces high levels of an enzyme that converts certain hydrocarbons into their carcinogenic form, levels that may accelerate the changes that ultimately produce malignant cells.42 Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which increases the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke. These facts suggest that, puff for puff, smoking marijuana may increase the risk of cancer more than smoking tobacco does.

Some adverse health effects caused by marijuana may occur because THC impairs the immune system's ability to fight off infectious diseases and cancer. In laboratory experiments that exposed animal and human cells to THC or other marijuana ingredients, the normal disease-preventing reactions of many of the key types of immune cells were inhibited.16 In other studies, mice exposed to THC or related substances were more likely than unexposed mice to develop bacterial infections and tumors.14,43

One study has indicated that a person's risk of heart attack during the first hour after smoking marijuana is four times his or her usual risk.44 The researchers suggest that a heart attack might occur, in part, because marijuana raises blood pressure and heart rate and reduces the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood.

Source

spike

It does have health effect like cigarettes.

There's a lot of "can", "potential", "may" in that article

It doesn't have near the effects of cigarettes or alcohol. You'd probably have to be a chronic marijuana smoker to see much effects. Higher potency weed means less smoke, also there are water pipes and vaporizers...not to mention ingesting it orally in food.

Regardless this has little bearing on whether it should be legal. As we know alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, high fat foods, etc all have negative health effects.

Gotholic

There's a lot of "can", "potential", "may" in that article

It doesn't have near the effects of cigarettes or alcohol. You'd probably have to be a chronic marijuana smoker to see much effects. Higher potency weed means less smoke, also there are water pipes and vaporizers...not to mention ingesting it orally in food.

Regardless this has little bearing on whether it should be legal. As we know alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, high fat foods, etc all have negative health effects.

Unlike alcohol, after one hit of marijuana you are intoxicated.

spike

Unlike alcohol, after one hit of marijuana you are intoxicated.

That actually depends on the person and the potency of the pot. I'm not sure what you point was though?

Would you like being intoxicated made illegal or something?

ResearchMonkey

Simple field test ^.

Beer doesn't have a 72 hour residual BL, pot does.

Pot, what truly makes stupid people (very popular among the left).

valkyrie

Spike, you seem to be referring the 'physical/chemical' addition, but
it is quite mentally addicting.

I can tell you first-hand, ....
it depends a lot on the person, as to the problems it can cause....
for e.g....if a person is bi-polar, of schizo, it makes it worse at times.
So does alcohol. None of the reasons given so far for retaining a ban on marijuana distinguish themselves from reasons given to ban alcohol.

Gotholic

That actually depends on the person and the potency of the pot. I'm not sure what you point was though?

Would you like being intoxicated made illegal or something?

The point is one hit and you are affected. Marijuana slows your reaction time which makes it unsafe to drive. You can have a glass of wine and be fine.

catocom

So does alcohol. None of the reasons given so far for retaining a ban on marijuana distinguish themselves from reasons given to ban alcohol.

I agree.
I actually think pot is probably less destructive.
Alcohol nearly killed me, and I'm holding a grudge.:p

I wasn't necessarily presenting that fact as an opposition to legalization.
Merely pointing out that it does have some negative effects.